Should I be getting a newer sound card?

debaser

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2004
Getting ready to build a new system and I currently have a Sound Blaster Live 24 bit card in my computer.

Just bought a Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Speaker Setup for the new system.

Not a big gamer play occasionally, listen to music on the computer more. Plan on installing Vista on the new system.

Does it make sense to use the Live soundcard in the new system or get something alot more current.

I was thinking of the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 SB0610 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card

Any other suggestions for cards? Am I going to be able to tell the difference between the Live card and a newer card?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

SciFiMan

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
Even if only for music and movies, you are better off with the latest X-Fi generation of Creative cards. For the same money you can get a X-Fi Extreme Audio, or their X-Fi gamer card.

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
I would sit tight Vista isn't supporting EAX which is the main reason most go with SB. On the other hand most OEM sound card are cheap.

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
About the speakers, none that I know of.

About the sound card... I'd wait till Vista. For me, I haven't found my sound cards that support Vista. So, I'll just stick with onboard sound for now till then. Besides, last I heard, there are no Vista drivers for Creative cards.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though...

redwing

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2004
The audigy 4 is a great card, the DAC and SNR quality is nearly the same as that on the X-FI, and I can assure you that when listening to typical bitrate mp3s, you will not notice a difference between the two. Well you will notice the difference, in price that is.

Xi-Fi is a nice card, and all the reviews praise it (why wouldnt they, it's the new card from Creative, they have 80% of the gaming sound card market with their EAX), but in your situation I would go for the 40$ Audigy 4 rather than the 100$ basic Xi-FI (and whoever suggested those Fatality / Elite versions ... why dont you click on the OP's link to have an idea of the price range).

Cheers