Kmarion

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
I have a new machine built around a x6800 but am unable to OC the chip.
No matter what approach I take my system freezes. It also does not matter how far I set the clock, as soon as I apply the machine is unresponsive. Any idea's?
Here is my specs.

Asus P5N32 SLI-Deluxe SE Silverstone 650 PS
Intel Core 2 Duo x6800 Extreme Edition
BFG 8800 GTX |4 GB DDR2 800
WD Dual Raptors 10k RPM Raid 0 150x2|Sound Blaster X-FI

I have tried via Bios and other "tools".

lexluthermiester

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Given the parts your are running, 650 watts shouldn't be enought to run stable at standard speeds, let alone oc'in. The choice of mobo could have been better too! I'd recommend you upgrade to a 800 watt ps and a better mobo. Tip on oc'in 6800ee's you need to raise the voltage of the "MCH" and "FSB" up .1. Forcing the PCI-E to 100 mhz will also help to keep things stable. Make sure your ram set so that it doesn't exceed it's rated limit by more than 5 or 10 percent. But really you NEED more wattage to do anything!

Kmarion

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
:!:
unable to OC the chip.

the Question is : Do you need to OC anything ??
Sure, you don't buy a Ferrari to leave it in garage.

Kmarion

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Given the parts your are running, 650 watts shouldn't be enought to run stable at standard speeds, let alone oc'in. The choice of mobo could have been better too! I'd recommend you upgrade to a 800 watt ps and a better mobo. Tip on oc'in 6800ee's you need to raise the voltage of the "MCH" and "FSB" up .1. Forcing the PCI-E to 100 mhz will also help to keep things stable. Make sure your ram set so that it doesn't exceed it's rated limit by more than 5 or 10 percent. But really you NEED more wattage to do anything!
It was time for a PS upgrade anyways. I have been considering sli with the 8800 gtx's, I will most certainly need it then.

PX7800GT

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
i didn`t say : Don`t Play With Your System!!
i said adding a Turbo Charger to a Ferrari is waste because you can easily reach +300 KM/H...
think hard man!
...you can play ANYTHING on Earth on Max...

HibyPrime

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
i said adding a Turbo Charger to a Ferrari is waste because you can easily reach +300 KM/H...
think hard man!

You buy an x6800 to overclock, not because it's actually worth the extra money over the e6700.

Driving the ferrari, in this metaphor, is equivalent to overclocking the x6800.

Kmarion

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
think hard man!

You buy an x6800 to overclock, not because it's actually worth the extra money over the e6700.

Driving the ferrari, in this metaphor, is equivalent to overclocking the x6800.
Thx, exactly what I was trying to get across. It would be nice if people replied with help other than questioning my reasons for doing so. Plenty of people overclock 6800's.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I agree with you but I would say his system is already a Ferrari with a turbo! Overclocking that system would be like putting a jet engine on a Ferrari. :wink:

May I ask why you want to overclock such a fine system?

500 FPS in BF2 at 1200X1600 with all the bells and whistles turned on not doing it for you anymore>> ?

Just curious that is all. :wink:

I can't imagne why you can not overclock at all that is bizzare at best.

HibyPrime

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
What?

I can't believe people are questioning the reasons to overclock in an overclocking forum, on an enthusiast forum...

Why go 280kph in a ferrari when you can go 300kph? Because you can.

In this case he can't and hes asking why. I'm sorry, but I have no idea at all as to why the chip wont OC, it's possible that this one slipped through intel's QC - I dont know, attempt to return it? good luck :(

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I have a new machine built around a x6800 but am unable to OC the chip.
No matter what approach I take my system freezes. It also does not matter how far I set the clock, as soon as I apply the machine is unresponsive. Any idea's?
Here is my specs.

I have tried via Bios and other "tools".

First off, you have 4 1gb chips of DDR2-800 which is detrimental to FSB overclocking. This is not good in any fashion to achieving high memory/FSB clocks. Second, and most importantly, you have an NForce4 Intel board. All Nvidia LGA775 are utter pieces of crap (disregarding the new ridiculously expensive 680i's) that can't do anything but run stock clock speeds and SLI. If you want to overclock your X6800, get any of the 680i's, the Asus 965x P5B-E, or the Asus 975x P5W DH DELUXE. I'm sorry to say this, but your motherboard is a lemon. The NForce Intel boards prior to the 680i chipset can hardly manage the 266 FSB Conroe demands...why you bought such a low end motherboard for such an expensive system is really beyond me.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Also I'd like to add that while the NForce4/5 Intel boards are complete duds for FSB overclocking, they CAN hit somewhat high CPU clock speeds only if you adjust the CPU multiplier. Try that before you ditch the P5N32 SLI-Deluxe.

Kmarion

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Also I'd like to add that while the NForce4/5 Intel boards are complete duds for FSB overclocking, they CAN hit somewhat high CPU clock speeds only if you adjust the CPU multiplier. Try that before you ditch the P5N32 SLI-Deluxe.
Ty I will.
I'm sorry to say this, but your motherboard is a lemon.
If you are wondering why the 4 1 gig memory, install vista.
I would rather know this now. TY.

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
you might also want to check what speed your ram is reported to be running at within windows as i hear many mobos set the voltage too low for them and they default to a lower speed check too see what voltage yours require i think your best bet would also to read Wusy's guide(if you havnt already) its very informative.

Siba

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Given the parts your are running, 650 watts shouldn't be enought to run stable at standard speeds, let alone oc'in.

650w should be enough. Anyone that would tell you otherwise hasn't researched enough. Total system draw really shouldn't even top 500w, I'd think. Most reviews of the 8800gtx have placed it around 350ish for the entire system, so an extra 150w on top of that seems like a very safe margin.

I'm going to second what everyone else here has said: your motherboard isn't the best of choices for OCing, and 4 sticks of ram doesn't seem ideal, even for Vista. What huge advantages are you getting by switching to Vista right now?

Kmarion

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Given the parts your are running, 650 watts shouldn't be enought to run stable at standard speeds, let alone oc'in.

650w should be enough. Anyone that would tell you otherwise hasn't researched enough. Total system draw really shouldn't even top 500w, I'd think. Most reviews of the 8800gtx have placed it around 350ish for the entire system, so an extra 150w on top of that seems like a very safe margin.

I'm going to second what everyone else here has said: your motherboard isn't the best of choices for OCing, and 4 sticks of ram doesn't seem ideal, even for Vista. What huge advantages are you getting by switching to Vista right now?
I have the four stick in there because vista is a memory hog. As far as the benefits, not much. I will be having to use vista for the DX10 games out there so I was just previewing it. There are certain things such as improved security, the abitlty to add more ram, and use emd's for system memory.

Natecannon

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
I'm running a P5N32-SLI SE DELUXE with an overclocked X6800 to 3.47 and it works fine... no real problems at all (it isn't an extreme overclock, but i'll leave that to my 680i upgrade in the future)

Kmarion

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
I'm running a P5N32-SLI SE DELUXE with an overclocked X6800 to 3.47 and it works fine... no real problems at all (it isn't an extreme overclock, but i'll leave that to my 680i upgrade in the future)
Really?.. I wonder whats up then. It hangs up everytime for me.

almerac

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006

his power supply is sufficient if its a good 650 watt (it seems it is not however). and you will not need to up the voltage to overclock a conroe. most reports are that with little or no overvolting is needed for any modest overclock. and we are seeing people blow past 10% overclocks with stock cooling, with good cooling you could easily see a 30% overclock on that beast. i would suggest a better PSU, but instead of just buying more watts, look at the PSU and look at the total amps on the 12 volt rails, then look at what Nvidia recommends for the 8800GTX but look for amps, not watts. because that is what is holding you back power wise. then dont skimp on price, get a good $150-$200+ PSU. that and a better motherboard is not necessary at all. you have an unlocked chip. meaning you can just up the multiplier when overclocking. almost any motherboard on the planet supports at least changing the multiplier (even if your proccessor only allows lowering it). i would consider getting another motherboard if you find yours lacks more intricate BIOS options that you otherwise desired.

and as i read along, to what other people have posted,

ram speeds are irrelevant, completely so, ok, there is no freaking point in overclocking ram other then wanting to burn it out, you don't NEED it to run at DDR800+ if your just gaming you can settle for a lower multiplier and have it end up like 756 odd mhz, and it will not have any performance impact at all. but is is kinda a mute issue because you can just up your procs multiplier without messing with the FSB.

"Also I'd like to add that while the NForce4/5 Intel boards are complete duds for FSB overclocking, they CAN hit somewhat high CPU clock speeds only if you adjust the CPU multiplier. Try that before you ditch the P5N32 SLI-Deluxe."

this is partially true, mostly that you will succeed better with upping the multiplier, however i have an Nforce4 SLI chipset, and i have no problems getting it to at least 300mhz at all. (a multiplier of 10 (dropped from 11) on my 3700, resulting in a stable 3 ghz, as well as some overvolting)

"you might also want to check what speed your ram is reported to be running at within windows as i hear many mobos set the voltage too low for them and they default to a lower speed check too see what voltage yours require i think your best bet would also to read Wusy's guide(if you havnt already) its very informative."

this is true, and the thing he is referring to is called vcore shift, and motherboards do it in conjunction with throttling the multiplier to reduce heat and power consumption when a computer is idling, altho many motherboards do not do a good job of it.

thats about it. if it was me, i would read wusy's guide, and mess around some more, (no point throwing out a good motherboard if its just a matter of being uninformed) then possibly buy a new one, that has been reviewed and you can confirm that it has the overclocking features you desire. and check my PSU, your main problem probably lies with that.