WC'ed HDD's, RAM, and Chipsets Worth It?

icewolf69

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Hey all, just as the title states, wondering if mobo chipsets, ram, and HD's are worth water cooling, in your honest opinion.

Koolance has some cool HD and RAM coolers, using that "Hydra-pak" thing. And i'm planning on OC'ing my RAM, but i don't know if it would be worth the rather large expense to have them water cooled. i probably won't have any high performance fans in the case, so maybe they would be worth it?

Thanks for your help.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Unless you live in a very hot place or your room is, then yeah you might want to water cooling them components. But it's not really necessary to have them liquid chilled. You can place a 120mm fan on the front of the hard drives and that should be fine. As for the rams you can get some heatsinks for them if it doesn't have one already. I think those HD water coolers are mainly for looks as well.

Rams does get very hot and I've seen them. You can however get a low-rpm fan or air cooler for them memory should cool it down nicely. As for my rams DDR2 XMS2 Corsairs I use a 90mm fan I place above the motherboard and blowing cool air down to the rams, the rams is slightly warm to the touch.

As for chipset like northbridge, you can include it on the water cooling loop, but it's not necessary. You can get a better chipset cooler like from Thermalright and will cool down the north bridge. Including it in the loop will just increase the core temp of the liquid and the cpu.

So 120mm fan for HD, heatsinks and fan for ram, and a chipset cooler for the the northbridge.