by_tor71

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
I was wondering if anyone might know how to or even if you can reset a dvd drive region settings after it locked in the last code. I figured I would ask someone with more knowlege of these things before I pull the drive out and try to re-install it. Thanks by_tor71

technology-sponge

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
the region code is written physically to the drives firmware chip.
there are several ways to reset the region code count

1)using the manufacturers unlock key, but this will only work for 4 times, so that 20 changes in total - unlikely ull hav access to this
2)reflash with a MODIFIED firmware - u can get hacks that multiregion the drive, don't use the official firmware as it preserves the code settings
3)desolder the cmos chip and replace with new one :p but then u might as well buy a new drive

dont bother wiping th os or reinstalling the drive, it wont work

by_tor71

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
thanks ddo you know where I can find the site or info to try the reflash or hacks to turn the drive in to a multiregion drive? thanks By_tor71

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
How about this? Ok maybe not completely neccesary for that but I just love using it.

I don't bother to reset/change the drive at all. I use a program called DVD Region+CSS Free. Works like a charm.

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
There are many ways around a problem like this. If there isn't a way to do something, someone will find or create a way. If there is one, someone will find an easier way. And thats the way it is.

My head hurts now... :p