Ordering tomorrow, what do you think?

ryyzak

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
After suffering many agonising hours on my PII 450Mhz 384mb RAM I've decided to upgrade. Tomorrow I shall order order the following:
Silverstone TJ09 Black (Chose this after considering the TJ07)
Silverstone Zeus 850W Power supply
Corsair TWIN2X 6400PRO DDR2 2048MB CL4, Kit w/two 1GB Dimm's, E.P.P
Western Digital Raptor X 150GB SATA 16MB 10000RPM

Am waiting for the 680i mobo & more DX10 cards before I decide on my next move. What do you guys think? Any suggestions appreciated. Rig for gaming, multitasking, photoshop & video encoding.
:D

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Do you have a budget or a preference? Otherwise, yes, the 680i board is nice as well as the nVidia 8800 series since you're coming from almost the same spec computer that I came from... uh... in 1999? 8O

Congrats to lasting this long on that! My mobo for that computer crapped out 2 years ago!

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
woah hang on a sec there

i wouldnt go around buying ram and PSU before actually having designed the system you intend on running

whilst you mention you want a 680 mobo and DX10 gpu could you be more accurate and what CPU do you want to run.

whilst the components you have listed should do the job fine i would suggest coming up with a full build before ordering anything (especially as things will generally be cheaper next week)

regarding your case thats a anice case and you shouldnt have any problems except you may have to remove the fan by the HDD rack in order to fit in a DX10 card (going on current 8800 dimensions)
as for the HDD no problems there you'll be fine

avarice

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
I agree - you should be fine with the case and the hard drives - but there is the problem of moisture to be considered. Afterall you will be drooling over these new parts until you can ge the rest of the pieces for your next build. If you plan to wait for the 680 availability and the 8800 prices to level off - I would advise you not to purchase anything - unless its on sale.

What I would advise is to keep track of what you think you want - read the forums, verify your decisions and shop around for the best prices. Once you are prepared to build - then you will have the amunition to go out and make the best purchasing decisions you can.

Cheers.

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
sup

As far as PSU goes I recommend Antec over anything on the market, the True power-2 550w EPS, or the True power Trio, are the way to go. its not as much your total wattage as much as it is your Amps on the +12v rail, you are gonna need about 30+ Amps to run any DX10 graphics card worth a damn so plan on atleast 2 rails at 15+ Amps apiece, however I would recommend 2x18 Amp rails for a total of 36 Amps to be on the safe side.

Also you will need two 6-pin PCI-E supplimentry power connectors so make sure whatever PSU you buy has atleast two, so you dont have to use adapters, and use up all your molex connectors, because it takes four 4-pin molex connectors to equal the power of 2 PCI express connectors.

later

ryyzak

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Thank you all for your answers. Delivery of the following items coming in a week's time :D
WD Raptor 150GB SATA 1,5GB/S 10K RPM Harddisk
Silverstone LC-ST85ZF 850W PSU SLI-Ready
Silverstone TJ09 Computer Case-Black
I have a budget but it's quite flexible depending on a lot of factors. I will definitely be going for a Core2Quad flavour combined with 680i board. However now that I've ordered the above parts my fingures are already itching. I may go for a decent DX9 card until the dust settles on DX10 so as to get the rig going. Any further input appreciated.

since you're coming from almost the same spec computer that I came from... uh... in 1999? 8O

Congrats to lasting this long on that! My mobo for that computer crapped out 2 years ago!
Thank you. My current rig is a Compaq Presario 5670 :oops:

sup

As far as PSU goes I recommend Antec over anything on the market, the True power-2 550w EPS, or the True power Trio, are the way to go. its not as much your total wattage as much as it is your Amps on the +12v rail, you are gonna need about 30+ Amps to run any DX10 graphics card worth a damn so plan on atleast 2 rails at 15+ Amps apiece, however I would recommend 2x18 Amp rails for a total of 36 Amps to be on the safe side.

Also you will need two 6-pin PCI-E supplimentry power connectors so make sure whatever PSU you buy has atleast two, so you dont have to use adapters, and use up all your molex connectors, because it takes four 4-pin molex connectors to equal the power of 2 PCI express connectors.

later
Thank you for your reply but I already got the Zeus. Atleast it has quad +12 rails.

I agree - you should be fine with the case and the hard drives - but there is the problem of moisture to be considered. Afterall you will be drooling over these new parts until you can ge the rest of the pieces for your next build. If you plan to wait for the 680 availability and the 8800 prices to level off - I would advise you not to purchase anything - unless its on sale.

What I would advise is to keep track of what you think you want - read the forums, verify your decisions and shop around for the best prices. Once you are prepared to build - then you will have the amunition to go out and make the best purchasing decisions you can.

Cheers.
Thank you for your input. I have this strange habit of using everybit of extra cash that crosses my path :D So I had to commit now. Unfortunately pricing here in Sweden is a whole new ballgame so I can only be envious of the fantastic deals posted on the forums.

woah hang on a sec there

i wouldnt go around buying ram and PSU before actually having designed the system you intend on running

whilst you mention you want a 680 mobo and DX10 gpu could you be more accurate and what CPU do you want to run.

whilst the components you have listed should do the job fine i would suggest coming up with a full build before ordering anything (especially as things will generally be cheaper next week)

regarding your case thats a anice case and you shouldnt have any problems except you may have to remove the fan by the HDD rack in order to fit in a DX10 card (going on current 8800 dimensions)
as for the HDD no problems there you'll be fine
Thank you for the advice. I should mentioned that I planned to go the core2quad route. Ohh! and the higher end parts don't seem to get discounted in Sweden (Besides am relatively new here so don't quote me on that). Cheers

ryyzak

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
After several mixups & delays I finally have the following items:
WD Raptor 150GB SATA 1,5GB/S 10K RPM Harddisk
Silverstone LC-ST85ZF 850W PSU SLI-Ready
Silverstone TJ09 Computer Case-Black

and the rest arriving next week:
Core2Duo E6600
Creative SB X-Fi Plat-Fatal1ty FPS PCI,64MB,EAX Adv HD 5.0,Front Panel
EVGA nForce 680i SLI

After countless delays I've used the money I had allocated for a 22" monitor. Since I'll be using my old Compaq Presario MV700 17" monitor is it necessary to buy a GTX graphics card now or wait until I can raise the quid for the flatscreen? If the answer is no, which cheap graphics card would you recommend to tide me over? My other question is as follows, I've been debating on getting the Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2, 2048MB CL5 Kit w/two matched CM2X1024A-6400 Dimm's or the Corsair TWIN2X 8500C5 DDR2, 2048MB CL5, Kit w/two 1GB Dimm's, E.P.P Technology. With the latter costing almost 40% more is the performance gains justified?