Need some core 2 duo x6800 help

goose36

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
I have a quick question. I've been an AMD guy for quite some time. I recently upgraded to the c2d x6800. I also got some 2gb corsair 800 c4 ram. I successfully oc'd to 3.52ghz on air and kept the memory @ 800 with 4-4-4-4-12 2T settings. I have a question though. I tried to prime95 test my oc but i noticed that with one prime95 running it's great, but when I try to run 2 prime95's my task manager shows that my ram is all used up and my system is very slow. I can't even open anything or even move the prime95 windows themselves. On my AMD system i was able to run both instances and then some. I was wondering if this was normal for the c2d systems due to their architecture, or am i missing something. I know there is a bandwidth loss due to the mem controller on the board in intel, but i hope that it's not that much loss. Please help if you have any input.

This is an edit: I also noted that even when I don't run 2 prime95's If I run multiple apps @ 1 time, it bogs the system too. Don't know it this helps.

goose36

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
Thanks for the reply. I did a lot of research and finally was directed to the Microsoft Hotfix (896256). It addresses multi-cpu setups with windows xp sp2. I installed it @ home and my problem went away. I ran AVG anti-spyware, AVG anti-virus, Counterspy, pestpatrol, spybot & ad-aware and was listening music with media player & browsing google videos( slow but expected with such a load). I couldn't even do three things without being locked out of even selecting the active windows itself.

Anyone else reading this that knows someone with sluggish or loaded symtoms with C2D systems, this hotfix took care of my issue.

I noticed that on the website that I got info for this it also says you have to do some registry modification. All I did was run the hotfix. Nothing else and I was able to load it with above scenario. Also the hotfix isn't on the microsoft website. it says to contact support and for a price they'll hook you up. just google it and you'll find it.

Pass it on :)