Sign in with
Your question

Opteron 175 Cooler Advice

Last response: in Overclocking
November 27, 2006 5:10:08 PM

Got my new dual-core Opty. I'm loving it. Almost to 3GHz and haven't hit the ceiling yet. Slightly concerned about my load temps, but I will soon have a new cooler on the way. Anyone know anything about the Freezone by Coolit Systems? I found it on FrozenCPU, here, but was unsure of its capabilties, as I've not seen any reviews. According to their own tests, of course, it seems quite capable. In fact, more so than just about any water cooling kit I could put together. Downsides? Only cools the CPU. But in that respect, I could water cool everything else, and use this on the CPU still. I dunno. Thoughts, opinions?
November 27, 2006 5:52:09 PM

Quote:
Got my new dual-core Opty. I'm loving it. Almost to 3GHz and haven't hit the ceiling yet. Slightly concerned about my load temps, but I will soon have a new cooler on the way. Anyone know anything about the Freezone by Coolit Systems? I found it on FrozenCPU, here, but was unsure of its capabilties, as I've not seen any reviews. According to their own tests, of course, it seems quite capable. In fact, more so than just about any water cooling kit I could put together. Downsides? Only cools the CPU. But in that respect, I could water cool everything else, and use this on the CPU still. I dunno. Thoughts, opinions?

What are you trying to accomplish with this OC? If you want to go to the absolute limit and are willing to use a TEC, then you might want a direct unit rahter than the Freezone. I have not used the Freezone but have used other TECs and tend to shy away from them because they are so inneficient. Don't get me wrong, they certainly fill a niche but if I wanted to go for the limit, I'd do LN2 or phase. I have read a couple of very positive reviews for the Freezone and a couple of lukewarm reviews. I seem to remember that it didn't go to very low temps but also that the TEC could fail and you'd still have a water-cooled system running.

If you just want a standard water cooling system, search Toms further and you'll find a ton of seasoned advice and in general, veterans recommend assembling your own system. Good luck!
November 27, 2006 7:30:21 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Clue. I'm just looking for max stable OC, on a budget. I use my rig to crunch video fairly often, and the more CPU grunt I can muster, the better.

That being said, I don't (unfortunately) have the grand, give or take, that it would take to set up LN2 or Phase change. Seems I can get a lot closer to those kind of results with less than half the investment. Plus, I don't have to either heavily modify my rig to run the CPU externally, or go in and insulate against condensation.

While I would definitely agree that with water cooling, it is best to build your own set-up, in this case, because of the added care that must be taken with the setup of the TCM for the peltiers, it seemed like this would be a better idea.

Rest assured, whatever I water cool, I will be specing my own components, not using a kit. Just trying to decide if I should be water cooling the CPU, or using this beast.
Related resources
November 27, 2006 8:14:15 PM

I have the exact same chip as you. I'm running with a Swiftech Apex Ultra (Storm Waterblock, with an MCW-55 VGA cooling block on my AIW800 Pro the whole kit cost me like $380 CAD) I have the Proc OC'ed to 2.65 and the Video Card Overclocked by 100 on the core, and 250 on the ram. Running Prime95 on each core for months and my temp only gets to be about 48 C. Granted that is pretty warm considering my room that the rig is in is somewhere in the 30's, so if I had a decently cool room my temps would be quite a bit lower. I know I don't have everything in a "Perfect" setup as I crammed everything including the RAD into my Lian-Li PC60 case. I prefer the neat all in one look of a case unlike the Reserator and stuff like that. I have not seen anything overly good about the cooler you were mentioning, and I have had BAD experience with Peltiers. You need one hell of a good cooling system on the hot side for them to even be of good use, as well as a good dedicated power supply for it. I know I'll get higher OC when I do finaly get rid of my Mobo. I just know it's holding my proc back.

When you get the cooler in place be sure to post your temps, OC, and stuff.
November 27, 2006 8:32:47 PM

See my sig for current OC on my 175. I'm knocking on the 3GHz door, but haven't found a way to go through it yet. I'm being held back by my motherboard and cooling right now. I've ordered the new board already (DFI LanParty UT SLI), but am still figuring out what I'm going to do for cooling.

Please note: my rig is not Prime95 stable at current speeds, but it is stable for everything else I've thrown at it. I'll dial everything in a little later.

-J
November 27, 2006 9:19:28 PM

cmptrdude79 :) 

You "think" your OC is stable even though its not when running Prime95. This is not a good idea, even though your system doesn't appear to crash. There are all sorts of file corruption(s) that can and do occur.

Separately, if streaming video is you primary "thing" for the OC, then do your self a giant favor and glom an Intel C2D proc ... even the cheapest lowest level C2D will likely bury whatever you can get from your AMD OC ... and that includes whatever you've fantasized you might achieve.

Understand that I, too, run an Opty (154 @ 2.8GHz) on an A8N SLI w/Micron Ballistics at 2-2-2-5 and a RAID 0 w/3 Raptors ... I love it but facts are facts regarding streaming throughput.
November 27, 2006 9:47:31 PM

Would if I could, but just recently had to blow my computer budget on a car. My poor little BMW motor couldn't take the heat any more, and gave up. But that's another story for another day. Bottom line, I can't afford to build myself a whole new system. I can drop a few hundred on some cooling to tide me over, but I won't build anything new till next year, probably 2Q or 3Q.

As to the stable/not stable: I've had this computer at this OC for over a week, and thrown every test I can think of at it. It passes everything except Prime95. My last CPU was a 3700+ OC'd to 2.904. It wasn't Prime stable either, but was for everything else. Ran it like that for almost a year. Had a P4 2.8C OC'd to 3.8 that wasn't Prime stable either. In fact, a lot of my better OCs have not been prime stable. Rock solid in anything else though.

I know what you're saying about file corruption and whatnot. Definitely seen that more than a few times, but I know when my rig's "stable enough" and when I'm out past the edge. I should be able to reel this one back in though with slightly lower temps and a little extra voltage.

-J
November 29, 2006 3:15:51 PM

Quote:
As to the stable/not stable: I've had this computer at this OC for over a week, and thrown every test I can think of at it. It passes everything except Prime95. My last CPU was a 3700+ OC'd to 2.904. It wasn't Prime stable either, but was for everything else. Ran it like that for almost a year. Had a P4 2.8C OC'd to 3.8 that wasn't Prime stable either. In fact, a lot of my better OCs have not been prime stable. Rock solid in anything else though.

I hate to be a cynic, but I still have not bought into Prime as the be-all end-all stability test. I run it for S&G but have seen prime stable OCs that still are not perfectly stable in real world apps like video rendering. I'm currently tweaking one box that is prime stable at 2.7 but will not render well unless I drop to 2.5. Thus I don't think it's an OS problem.

WRT cooling the 175, I just got the new Zalman 9700 for $45. I see loads of people complain about Zalman prices but if you keep your eyes open, you can get decent deals. Now I need to mount it and run dual prime to see how it compares to the NinjaPlus, 9500, etc. Looks large.
!