USB bandwith limitation

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
July 7, 2004 1:08:10 PM

Hello group.
I have a machine (K6-2 500MHz, A-Open AX59-PRO) running XP Pro. I have 2
webcams (Logitech Coordless and Express) and I need to capture something
like one frame every 5 seconds or so. The problem is bandwith of the USB
controller. Is there no way I can lower the requirements when I don't need
streaming video, just a single picture now and then? The way it is now it
will error with "Exeeding USB bandwidt limit"...

I can change the OS if there are any better alternatives out there.

Thanks in advance

Carsten
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 2:27:03 PM

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 09:08:10 +0200, "Carsten Keller"

I have the same problem here.
If you have 4 usb ports ,try to connect the cam to the other ports.
A USB2 wil NOT solve the problem ,but will give you 4 ports extra ,where 2 are
usable for..

There should be a piece of hardware that device the USB1 cam bandwide to a
usable USB2 ,so more cams would be posible ,but there is not such thing :(

A alternetive is a capturecard with 4 inputs..

<ck@no-more-swen.adm.iha.dk> wrote:

>Hello group.
>I have a machine (K6-2 500MHz, A-Open AX59-PRO) running XP Pro. I have 2
>webcams (Logitech Coordless and Express) and I need to capture something
>like one frame every 5 seconds or so. The problem is bandwith of the USB
>controller. Is there no way I can lower the requirements when I don't need
>streaming video, just a single picture now and then? The way it is now it
>will error with "Exeeding USB bandwidt limit"...
>
>I can change the OS if there are any better alternatives out there.
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Carsten

Anonymous
July 7, 2004 3:35:50 PM

"Anti bill." <abuse@microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:o agne0h3knqr3b2r3hbco9p856sgu93nkf@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 09:08:10 +0200, "Carsten Keller"
>
> I have the same problem here.
> If you have 4 usb ports ,try to connect the cam to the other ports.

There are only two ports, hence one controller on the MB, so that's not an
option

> A USB2 wil NOT solve the problem ,but will give you 4 ports extra ,where 2
are
> usable for..

...and it's only a version 1 :-(

> There should be a piece of hardware that device the USB1 cam bandwide to a
> usable USB2 ,so more cams would be posible ,but there is not such thing :(
>
> A alternetive is a capturecard with 4 inputs..

I thought of that, but the project is on a thight budget (read: no money
available), so I can't buy one of those...

Keller
!