Pocket Streets

March 2, 2005 9:49:00 PM

I have just purchased a compact flash GPS receiver and I am trying to use it
with Pocket Streets.( It works fine with Tom Tom) When I try to configure
the receiver it looks for which com port it is connected to. I don`t know
and can`t seem to find out which com port if any it is connected to. Does
anybody have any idea how to get it operational?
I am using a Dell Axim X5.

More about : pocket streets

Anonymous
March 2, 2005 9:49:01 PM

Bob Lakey wrote:
> I have just purchased a compact flash GPS receiver and I am trying to use it
> with Pocket Streets.( It works fine with Tom Tom) When I try to configure
> the receiver it looks for which com port it is connected to. I don`t know
> and can`t seem to find out which com port if any it is connected to. Does
> anybody have any idea how to get it operational?
> I am using a Dell Axim X5.

Have you installed the driver for your new CF receiver?
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 9:49:01 PM

I usually end up trying all the available serial port settings allowed from
Pocket Streets' configuration menu.

In Pocket Streets
- Tools
- GPS
- Configure GPS Receiver
--
Todd Ogasawara, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices
Online Editor - http://MobileViews.com/ -- PDA & Wireless Info

"Bob Lakey" <boblakey@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have just purchased a compact flash GPS receiver and I am trying to use
>it with Pocket Streets.( It works fine with Tom Tom) When I try to
>configure the receiver it looks for which com port it is connected to. I
>don`t know and can`t seem to find out which com port if any it is connected
>to. Does anybody have any idea how to get it operational?
> I am using a Dell Axim X5.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 9:49:01 PM

Typically a CF GPS receiver is seen as a serial port on a PPC, and which
port that is, is defined by the PPC hardware, not the CF card. I sort of
recall it was port 3 on the X5, but am not positive (it's 7 on a 2215).
There is a good suggestion to try each one available, but you can skip port
1, that's the sync port. If you don't see many comm ports when you open the
configuration screen in PS, try reseting the PPC before trying. Also you
might have to make sure TomTom isn't snagging the port on start up. Not
quite sure how you do that except checking in the startup folder for TT
related stuff or uninstalling it. I do recall that TT likes to reserve the
comm port.

"Bob Lakey" <boblakey@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have just purchased a compact flash GPS receiver and I am trying to use
>it with Pocket Streets.( It works fine with Tom Tom) When I try to
>configure the receiver it looks for which com port it is connected to. I
>don`t know and can`t seem to find out which com port if any it is connected
>to. Does anybody have any idea how to get it operational?
> I am using a Dell Axim X5.

March 2, 2005 9:49:02 PM

I found a reference to Tom Tom not properly releasing ports. It may have
relevance in your situation.
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&f...

Terry

"Sven" <sejohannsen(at)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Typically a CF GPS receiver is seen as a serial port on a PPC, and which
> port that is, is defined by the PPC hardware, not the CF card. I sort of
> recall it was port 3 on the X5, but am not positive (it's 7 on a 2215).
> There is a good suggestion to try each one available, but you can skip
> port 1, that's the sync port. If you don't see many comm ports when you
> open the configuration screen in PS, try reseting the PPC before trying.
> Also you might have to make sure TomTom isn't snagging the port on start
> up. Not quite sure how you do that except checking in the startup folder
> for TT related stuff or uninstalling it. I do recall that TT likes to
> reserve the comm port.
>
> "Bob Lakey" <boblakey@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I have just purchased a compact flash GPS receiver and I am trying to use
>>it with Pocket Streets.( It works fine with Tom Tom) When I try to
>>configure the receiver it looks for which com port it is connected to. I
>>don`t know and can`t seem to find out which com port if any it is
>>connected to. Does anybody have any idea how to get it operational?
>> I am using a Dell Axim X5.

Anonymous
March 2, 2005 10:49:54 PM

On the last 3 PPC's I've owned, all my
CF GPS's landed on COM4.

"Bob Lakey" <boblakey@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have just purchased a compact flash GPS receiver and I am trying to use
it
> with Pocket Streets.( It works fine with Tom Tom) When I try to configure
> the receiver it looks for which com port it is connected to. I don`t know
> and can`t seem to find out which com port if any it is connected to. Does
> anybody have any idea how to get it operational?
> I am using a Dell Axim X5.

Anonymous
March 2, 2005 10:57:52 PM

Also, Holux has a "GPS Viewer" app on their download
page that scans all available COM ports for a GPS and
tells you where it is. Works fine here.

www.holux.com

"Bob Lakey" <boblakey@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have just purchased a compact flash GPS receiver and I am trying to use
it
> with Pocket Streets.( It works fine with Tom Tom) When I try to configure
> the receiver it looks for which com port it is connected to. I don`t know
> and can`t seem to find out which com port if any it is connected to. Does
> anybody have any idea how to get it operational?
> I am using a Dell Axim X5.

Anonymous
March 3, 2005 1:59:19 AM

My bluetooth device uses COM 8.

I have used GPS with Pocket Streets in the past but never much lived. There
was no voice and just a silly red circle which moved.

"Bob Lakey" <boblakey@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have just purchased a compact flash GPS receiver and I am trying to use
it
> with Pocket Streets.( It works fine with Tom Tom) When I try to configure
> the receiver it looks for which com port it is connected to. I don`t know
> and can`t seem to find out which com port if any it is connected to. Does
> anybody have any idea how to get it operational?
> I am using a Dell Axim X5.

March 3, 2005 2:13:57 AM

BWR wrote:
> Bob Lakey wrote:
>
>> I have just purchased a compact flash GPS receiver and I am trying to
>> use it with Pocket Streets.( It works fine with Tom Tom) When I try to
>> configure the receiver it looks for which com port it is connected to.
>> I don`t know and can`t seem to find out which com port if any it is
>> connected to. Does anybody have any idea how to get it operational?
>> I am using a Dell Axim X5.
>>

> Have you installed the driver for your new CF receiver?
In your bluetooth settings you foud de inbound and outbound
portsettings, try this ports.
succes, jac
!