Ethernet connection over 120 metre distance

spacedonkey101

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
I have a requirement to communicate over a 100MB/sec ethernet segment at a distance of 120 metres. I have read that the maximum segment length is 100m.

Would I need some form of repeater or other hardware to overcome the distance limit?

Can anyone recommend a solution?

Many thanks.

tekzone

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
If I am not mistaking, Optic Fiber is the way to go as it can cross longer distances at higher speeds. You'll find them on higher-end switches. The only problem, i believe is that it's not very flexible...

I remember reading from somewhere that standard optic fiber could go further then 4Km.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Using a higher quality cable would solve the problem (such as cat6). Or putting an inline repeater in the line (like a hub) would also solve the problem.
Fiber wouldn't really be cost effective in this situation if all you need is a 100mb connection. Though even if you needed gigabit later I'm sure cat6 would handle it at that range just fine.

hawkstar

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
The least option, given that you probably already have CAT 5 cable, is to insert a powered switch at/before 90 metres - 100 metres really IS a max - never (well seldom) run at max!

QBiN

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
putting an inline repeater in the line (like a hub) would also solve the problem.

It would need to be a switch. A simple hub or repeater (by definition) will, in fact, cure the single segment eletrical limitation of 100m. However, it will do nothing for the latency requirement of half-duplex ethernet segments (52us in 10Mb, 5.2us in 100Mb). In order for the "CD" part of CSMA/CD to work, there has to be a switch or some kind of store-and-forward, full-duplex device in the middle.

calvin68

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012

Ok..1)Use converter to extend distance.
Ethernet to fiber optic
2)Use siwtches ro extend

you may look for:
CML Technology in JB www.cmltech.com.my