Viewing Media Center recordings on a Pocket PC

March 2, 2005 3:59:28 PM

Hi,

I have a Media Center PC (2005) and would like to know if it is possible to
transfer the tv recordings (in a sufficiently compressed format) to my
Pocket PC so that I can view them while on the road.

Thanks,
Gaurav
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 8:40:43 PM

If you have a PPC with MP10 on it then it is quite easy. You need to get MP
10 for the PC and then the sync function will convert and compress the TV
recordings for you. If you do not have a PPC that has, or can get MP10, it
is significantly more difficult. At least step one is. Step one is to
convert the dvr-ms file that MCE uses for recorded TV to something normal.
My HP MCE came with ArcSoft Showbiz which is a movie editing package. It
recognizes dvr-ms files and automatically converts them to mpeg if you try
to use them in a project. Once they are mpegs then there are numerous ways
to compress them. The difficulty is that not that many things will recognize
dvr-ms. See if something that came on your MCE does though.

"Gaurav Maini" <gaurav_maini@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a Media Center PC (2005) and would like to know if it is possible
> to transfer the tv recordings (in a sufficiently compressed format) to my
> Pocket PC so that I can view them while on the road.
>
> Thanks,
> Gaurav

Anonymous
March 4, 2005 2:15:43 AM

Thanks Sven.

I have an HP MCE and a Windows mobile 2003 PC. I did not know that its as
easy as using MP10.

Thanks again

"Sven" <sejohannsen(at)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> If you have a PPC with MP10 on it then it is quite easy. You need to get
> MP 10 for the PC and then the sync function will convert and compress the
> TV recordings for you. If you do not have a PPC that has, or can get MP10,
> it is significantly more difficult. At least step one is. Step one is to
> convert the dvr-ms file that MCE uses for recorded TV to something normal.
> My HP MCE came with ArcSoft Showbiz which is a movie editing package. It
> recognizes dvr-ms files and automatically converts them to mpeg if you try
> to use them in a project. Once they are mpegs then there are numerous ways
> to compress them. The difficulty is that not that many things will
> recognize dvr-ms. See if something that came on your MCE does though.
>

> "Gaurav Maini" <gaurav_maini@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a Media Center PC (2005) and would like to know if it is possible
>> to transfer the tv recordings (in a sufficiently compressed format) to my
>> Pocket PC so that I can view them while on the road.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Gaurav

March 4, 2005 7:01:56 PM

It does require MP10 on Both the PC and PPC though. Having WM2003 doesn't
guarantee that.

> Thanks Sven.
>
> I have an HP MCE and a Windows mobile 2003 PC. I did not know that its as
> easy as using MP10.
>
> Thanks again
>

> "Sven" <sejohannsen(at)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> If you have a PPC with MP10 on it then it is quite easy. You need to get
>> MP 10 for the PC and then the sync function will convert and compress the
>> TV recordings for you. If you do not have a PPC that has, or can get
>> MP10, it is significantly more difficult. At least step one is. Step one
>> is to convert the dvr-ms file that MCE uses for recorded TV to something
>> normal. My HP MCE came with ArcSoft Showbiz which is a movie editing
>> package. It recognizes dvr-ms files and automatically converts them to
>> mpeg if you try to use them in a project. Once they are mpegs then there
>> are numerous ways to compress them. The difficulty is that not that many
>> things will recognize dvr-ms. See if something that came on your MCE does
>> though.
>>

>> "Gaurav Maini" <gaurav_maini@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a Media Center PC (2005) and would like to know if it is possible
>>> to transfer the tv recordings (in a sufficiently compressed format) to
>>> my Pocket PC so that I can view them while on the road.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Gaurav

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 1:33:09 PM

Yep I realized that.

My ppc manufacturer does not provide MP10 yet :-(

> It does require MP10 on Both the PC and PPC though. Having WM2003 doesn't
> guarantee that.
>
> "Gaurav Maini" <gaurav_maini@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks Sven.
>>
>> I have an HP MCE and a Windows mobile 2003 PC. I did not know that its as
>> easy as using MP10.
>>
>> Thanks again
>>

>> "Sven" <sejohannsen(at)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> If you have a PPC with MP10 on it then it is quite easy. You need to get
>>> MP 10 for the PC and then the sync function will convert and compress
>>> the TV recordings for you. If you do not have a PPC that has, or can get
>>> MP10, it is significantly more difficult. At least step one is. Step
>>> one is to convert the dvr-ms file that MCE uses for recorded TV to
>>> something normal. My HP MCE came with ArcSoft Showbiz which is a movie
>>> editing package. It recognizes dvr-ms files and automatically converts
>>> them to mpeg if you try to use them in a project. Once they are mpegs
>>> then there are numerous ways to compress them. The difficulty is that
>>> not that many things will recognize dvr-ms. See if something that came
>>> on your MCE does though.
>>>

>>> "Gaurav Maini" <gaurav_maini@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 12, 2005 12:05:12 AM

If you record your TV programs using ShowBiz or Movie Mill you don't have to
convert the from the .dvr-ms format. The files will be in .mpg format which
can be played on your PPC using PocketTV.

!