Sign in with
Your question
Closed

8800gts getting way to hot...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 27, 2006 5:44:16 PM

Hey, I got an 8800gts and after about four hours of NFS: Carbon, I checked the card temp and saw 74*C!!! I kept checking the next day and at idle it's roughly 58*C. Is that normal? What's a good practical way to keep it cool? My house is set to 73*F btw.

More about : 8800gts hot

November 27, 2006 6:07:41 PM

What kind of case do you have? and does it hava a good airflow? The temp. is a little on the hot side but not anything to be worried about. (unless it's a hot summer day). But gpu always run hot 6800 Ultra runs 51 on the stock cooler and at 42 when water cooled.
November 27, 2006 6:10:35 PM

You obviously dont know much about temps
here are some guidelines

>110C get some cooling quick!
<=110C start to worry
<100C = fine
<90C = good
<80C = great
<70C = overclock is an option

This is general might not specific to Nvidia, also would like to point out that your case airflow has ALOT to do with the temp.

You are fine, its when you have two cards you start to flip out!

BTW why are you using two different temp units!!?? *C & *F??
Related resources
November 27, 2006 6:42:15 PM

HAH! My ATI X1900XT use to idle at 55C and max out at 89C~90C when gaming!

Either get a PCI slot blower, or don't worry about it. As long as you have adequate air flow in your case, I wouldn't worry.

Do the nVidia 8800s not exhaust heat out the back anyways???
November 27, 2006 6:50:23 PM

Nothing to worry about.

72 under load is good on any stock heatsink.
November 27, 2006 7:23:35 PM

I don't see any aftermarket cooling solutions from Zalman or Arctic Cooling yet, but I know the Zalman VF900 does a helluva great job cooling down the 79xx series cards. I have 2 on the dual 7900 system I setup, and they keep the temp below 60C while in game. It may be worth a shot to pick up one of the 30 dollar coolers to see if it can be adapted to your nice 450$ card. If it were mine, I would pick up a Zalman as soon as they start selling an 8800 series solution - not only to protect my card, but to quiet things down. You could try to adapt the VF900 - it fits several differnet sizes of cards already.
November 28, 2006 8:20:45 AM

I OC my 7900GT and when it gets above 75C is starts crashing, so disregard kye3k1 post about temps he knows little about it at 110C you wont have a GFX card, you wont even haven a Computer! you might even burn YOUR HOUSE DOWN.

PCI VGA coolers work the best, 7900GT usually was at 67-73C but when i put the VGA cooler in right under my GFX card it now idles at 55C and load is 60C.

Like the rest said it may be your cooling(Fans), where your Computer is placed, hopefully not shoved in a cramped corner where no airflow gets in nor in a closet.
November 28, 2006 1:26:08 PM

You also forget that every graphics card is like a CPU. They all vary. Some GPUs can run hotter than others and still not crash. Honestly, it depends on the chip. Take for example, ATI x1900s full load at 89C but don't crash. For nVidia... well, I'm not sure I can use my nVidia 6800 to compare, but when I first had it and it had stock cooling, I was hitting 80C easily on full load and it still ran like a champ. It's just like a CPU, GPUs vary. Some can handle more heat than others.

To the author of the thread, if your games are locking up during heavy gaming, increase your airflow in the case or get a PCI slot blower. Else, I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you.

By the way, who's the manufacturer of your graphics card?
November 28, 2006 4:41:59 PM

Man, I have an ASUS 8800 GTS for about 3 weeks or so, and the coolers do blow out. 74 degrees CELSIUS are ok, I get these too sometime, although it rather sticks to 70-71 max.
BUT I also use ASUS's Smart Doctor, and when set at "Smart Cooling" sometimes it just keeps giving the same low-rev speed whatever the temp, not "Smart" at all... And the card gets REALLY hot then about 80 degrees but still no other problem... Check your fan settings, in the control panel, I'm sure something is in there that will help you. Although I still think 74 are OK
November 28, 2006 5:04:56 PM

Quote:
I OC my 7900GT and when it gets above 75C is starts crashing, so disregard kye3k1 post about temps he knows little about it at 110C you wont have a GFX card, you wont even haven a Computer! you might even burn YOUR HOUSE DOWN.

PCI VGA coolers work the best, 7900GT usually was at 67-73C but when i put the VGA cooler in right under my GFX card it now idles at 55C and load is 60C.

Like the rest said it may be your cooling(Fans), where your Computer is placed, hopefully not shoved in a cramped corner where no airflow gets in nor in a closet.

Heat is not preventing you from OCing more. Everyone seems to think this. The cards LIMITATIONS are preventing you from overclocking further. Every chip has tiny little defects, the ones with the fewest OC the best. You have a shi*tty card/chip.

Additionally, several cards tested on this very website have reached nearly 100C in normal operation, namely the fanless ATI solutions. While they were hot, they did not crash or fail to operate correctly.

Most video cards and processors have a thermal limit of 90-110C before things go wrong. But a few are able to operate at ~90c.
November 28, 2006 5:47:47 PM

Ok, and yes those are all in celcius, besides my house temp. I have a gigabyte case with two 120mm fans in the rear, 1 in front with a filter, and my zalman 9500 LED facing the front (so air blows out back). The case is on a desk in next to nothing; even pulled at an angle to prevent the air from being pushed around the wall. I also installed the optional motherboard fan that came with my 680i board. It clips to the northbridge chip. Unfortunately, it blows upwards right into the zalman. And a lot of hot air is rising from the 8800. So I'm thinking the card is producing heat that the little fan is helping push right into the northbridge chip and then to the zalman, making them both hotter. I might just try replacing the fans in the case with four of those sliverstone fans; found here. That might improve the heat removal if anything else. And in case you did notice, the fourth will be placed in my side panel to blow cool air in on the zalman.

I guess that's all I can do besides making a blowhole too.
November 29, 2006 12:03:13 AM

As you have probably know by now, those temp are nothing to be worried about. Video cards run much warmer then your average CPU and this does take many people by surprise. Enjoy.

XFX Support
January 6, 2008 4:19:06 PM

This may be a no brainer - already done that. But if you download Rivatuner 2.06, under the video card overclocking feature, you can control your video fan speeds directly (on some cards). I run an OC'ed 8800gts on direct fan at 60%, some run them at 100%, or you can up the percentages in auto (if supported).

Don't know if increasing your fan speed will void any warranty, but it will make your card run cooler. It's also very easy to change, so set it at a speed that is noise/temp friendly for normal use, and bump it up with the slide control if you know you will be gaming for several hours. Tom
January 6, 2008 5:12:16 PM

I have a 8800gt and I have installed a Zalman vf-900 on it it fits no problem. The only thing you need to do is buy some extra heat sinks for some of the smaller chips that are covered by the stock cooler. I bought some Thermaltake copper memory chips sinks and it works great. Temps are around 42,44 idle and never goes above 58 under load, and that is after a couple of hours of playing Crysis.
January 7, 2008 1:10:35 AM

Hiya, I also have a 8800GT (Asus), second batch. The card comes with the heat sink and a big fan on top. The idle temps is also around 38 to 42 like some people have posted (air-conditioned environment by the way). No OC. I have yet to try a racing game but I play hours on Bioshock with full setting, seems to me that the card cools pretty well.

Is your 8800GT the first batch (with the CoH game sticker on top) or the second batch (with a different heat sink/fan)?
January 7, 2008 1:12:03 AM

Mine is evga got it from the step up program.
Anonymous
June 2, 2010 1:51:21 AM

Had the same issue with 8800 GTS OC version...GPU was at around 80 deg C idle

Opened up my case and did 2 things...

1. I added a GPU blower

and

2. Noticed a cable had gotten stock on a case fan that was sucking air into the case :kaola: 

With those two things fixed I'm back at running around 65 deg C!

Sometimes it just pays to check it out!
a c 171 Î Nvidia
June 2, 2010 9:18:54 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!