Xeon QC - UK prices...

MarkPatterson

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
Im looking to build a new workstation with dual clovertowns.

I have been watching and waiting for a few weeks now for the first prices to trickle onto the interweb and today I spotted my first CT on scan.co.uk, a popular UK e-store.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=507966

Ouch! £1600 for the bottom of the range CT, thats alot of cash, do you think these prices are going to change much over the next few months?

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
WTF is VAT... you crazy europeans =P

The price should go down, as you saw with the trend of Kentsfield, it's already dropping quite a bit. Just wait a month, it'll probably go down a good 100-200 bucks.

MarkPatterson

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
VAT is a magic way for our government to make money out of us brits...

Not that u can do this without a 4 slot MB but.

4 woodcrests at 1.8ghz (8 cores) would cost me £ 472

2 Clovertows at 1.8ghz (still 8 cores) would cost £ 3278!!

maybe im missing somthing here !!! :p

It would be cheaper to get a 4 CPU slot server board and 4 woodcrests at that cost! i doubt the performance would be much difference.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Well the current best price/performance Woodcrest workstation is the Mac Pro, is it not? Which would lead me to believe that if you want the cheapest Clovertown workstation possible perhaps it would be worth waiting for the new editions of Mac Pro?

Just a thought, feel free to ignore me!

MarkPatterson

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
Ive managed to build a dual woodcrest machine on scan.co.uk for alot less with a few parts I actually wanted, like the ram, and the g-card.

Of course I have the option of bootcamp on the Mac which would be nice :)

My guess is this CPU cost on the clover town is so high as its the first we have over here in the UK, i hope its down a fair whack in a few months.

cozwin

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
yer vat sucks - value added tax, paying 17.5 % of the price as tax bah.

Tho in america you still have it its just built into your normal tax, but ul america youve got to pay for your health :p

TRENDING THREADS