Poker Icon on destop

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

a hotmail ?virus? hit my daughter's xp machine and now she
has a POKER, WEBSITE HOSTING and a few other trash icons
on her desktop. They do not delete with the delete-key,
do not move by dragging and have no right-click properties
and they do not show up in explorer or in an CMD window to
delete. I could find no POKER entries in the registry. But
if you double click the icon it opens a browser to a
gambling website. McAfee and antispam is running all the
time and did not stop this.

How can I delete these?

"Larry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> a hotmail ?virus? hit my daughter's xp machine and now she
> has a POKER, WEBSITE HOSTING and a few other trash icons
> on her desktop. They do not delete with the delete-key,
> do not move by dragging and have no right-click properties
> and they do not show up in explorer or in an CMD window to
> delete. I could find no POKER entries in the registry. But
> if you double click the icon it opens a browser to a
> gambling website. McAfee and antispam is running all the
> time and did not stop this.
>
> How can I delete these?

This may or may not work, but can't hurt. Right-click the offending icons,
then select Properties. Be sure "Web Document" tab is on top in dialog box.
Then change the web address in the URL line.

Look for other answers; If these are virus-created, this may fail.

Malv

No..you don't understand...right clicking does NOT bring
up a properties menu!!!

Your machine is infected with spyware.

Use a program like ad-aware and/or spybot search & destroy to clean.

RD

"Larry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>a hotmail ?virus? hit my daughter's xp machine and now she
> has a POKER, WEBSITE HOSTING and a few other trash icons
> on her desktop. They do not delete with the delete-key,
> do not move by dragging and have no right-click properties
> and they do not show up in explorer or in an CMD window to
> delete. I could find no POKER entries in the registry. But
> if you double click the icon it opens a browser to a
> gambling website. McAfee and antispam is running all the
> time and did not stop this.
>
> How can I delete these?

"Larry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> a hotmail ?virus? hit my daughter's xp machine and now she
> has a POKER, WEBSITE HOSTING and a few other trash icons
> on her desktop. They do not delete with the delete-key,
> do not move by dragging and have no right-click properties
> and they do not show up in explorer or in an CMD window to
> delete. I could find no POKER entries in the registry. But
> if you double click the icon it opens a browser to a
> gambling website. McAfee and antispam is running all the
> time and did not stop this.
>
> How can I delete these?

First eliminate any scumware.
What You Should Know About Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx

CAUTION!!!!! Before you try to remove spyware using any of these programs ,
download a copy of LSPFIX from any of the following sites:
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
(if your OS is Win2k or XP) The process of removing certain malware may kill
your internet connection. If this should occur, this program, LSPFIX, will
enable you to regain your connection.

See
Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
won't. Also, each needs to be updated with the program's update function
before every use, even when just downloaded. There's also a lot more to do
than just those two programs. CWShredder is also available here:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/cwshredder.zip
**Post your HijackThis log to
http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ or the Spyware forum at
http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
may be found on this page:
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.

See this link for information about malware:
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars

If nothing there helps, please post back to this thread.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

I got rid of those icons and a srch.lop.com toolbar in IE as well.
First I used SpyBot Search Destroy and AdAware (in safe mode) to clean up
the machine
Not sure it did any good though since the icons started to reload on start
up. And the lop toolbar was still there...
Then I used ToolbarCop from http://windowsxp.mvps.org/toolbarcop.htm to
disable a few things
from running on start up. (Object Type = Run - Startup in ToolbarCop).
What I disabled were:
Name: Filename:
bat comp C:/DOCUME~1/<current user>/APPLIC~1/TOOLWA~2/Boob Fast.exe
NAMEANTEMULTIEGGS C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/32
stop name ante/blahfirst.exe

I have no idea of what these programs are doing but disabling them stopped
the icons from popping up and it removed the lop toolbar...

Hope this helps..

Regards,
patrik rosquist

"patrik rosquist" wrote:

> [...]
> > before every use, even when just downloaded. There's also a lot more to do
> > than just those two programs. CWShredder is also available here:
> > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/cwshredder.zip
> > **Post your HijackThis log to
> > http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/
> > http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
> > http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ or the Spyware forum at
> > http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
> > Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
> > may be found on this page:
> > http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.
> >

> > See this link for information about malware:
> > http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars
> >
> > If nothing there helps, please post back to this thread.
> >
> > --
> > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> > Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email

I, too have got these desktop icons in the past two days, and have
downloaded toolbarcop as suggested and run my adware programme. Toolbarcop
does not bring up any of the files Patrick mentions....help