Opteron 165 or fx-55?????

bananabox

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
i need some opinions guys, im upgrading my 939 system to hold me over until im out of college. I have the choice down to one of these two processors, either one sounds good to me. i know the opty is dual core but the fx is blazing power. i just want to know what your guys opinions are on each cpu.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
i need some opinions guys, im upgrading my 939 system to hold me over until im out of college. I have the choice down to one of these two processors, either one sounds good to me. i know the opty is dual core but the fx is blazing power. i know what i want it for so no need to ask what im gonna do with it i just want to know what your guys opinions are on each cpu.
We need to know. :?

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
i need some opinions guys, im upgrading my 939 system to hold me over until im out of college. I have the choice down to one of these two processors, either one sounds good to me. i know the opty is dual core but the fx is blazing power. i know what i want it for so no need to ask what im gonna do with it i just want to know what your guys opinions are on each cpu.
We need to know. :?
DEFINITELY!

bananabox

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Ok i just didnt want to be the typical noob lol. im gonna use it for school, games and a little bit of ripping dvds. i know dual core would be nice for the ripping but i have always wanted a fx and know i can afford it :p . i just wanted to see if you guys have used either of these

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Ok i just didnt want to be the typical noob lol. im gonna use it for school, games and a little bit of ripping dvds. i know dual core would be nice for the ripping but i have always wanted a fx and know i can afford it :p . i just wanted to see if you guys have used either of these
Well, if you have any interest in overclocking, then definetely go for the Opty. It will overclock as high, or higher than the FX(FX is 130nm), so you'll have two smokin' cores(Opty and FX both have 1MB L2/core). GL :)

PS. In games, both processors will be bottlenecked by your video card.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
The opty has two cores and will clock te same as the FX-55 if you OC, it only needs a decent mombo (don't me hypnotized by the FX marking; you're still comparing a singlecore to a dualcore.