Sign in with
Your question

Setup and Access Remote Desktop

Last response: in Networking
April 4, 2006 1:33:13 AM

I have XP Pro, and I already checked the box for Remote Desktop, and selected 2 users from the accounts to allow remote desktop. I tested from my 2nd computer (Currently on the same network at home) by entering the computer name and then login. It works.

I am using SBC Yahoo DSL. If I go to another house or at work, how do I access my home computer by using Remote Desktop. If I need the IP Address, how do I know the ISP IP address for my service? I thought SBC Yahoo provided dynamic IP, wouldn't it change all the time?

If I know the IP address, am I right that, all I have to do is enter the IP and then it will ask me to login?

THanks

Ray
April 4, 2006 2:31:26 PM

Only if it's not RFC 1918 IP addresses.

Quote:
I have XP Pro, and I already checked the box for Remote Desktop, and selected 2 users from the accounts to allow remote desktop. I tested from my 2nd computer (Currently on the same network at home) by entering the computer name and then login. It works.

I am using SBC Yahoo DSL. If I go to another house or at work, how do I access my home computer by using Remote Desktop. If I need the IP Address, how do I know the ISP IP address for my service? I thought SBC Yahoo provided dynamic IP, wouldn't it change all the time?

If I know the IP address, am I right that, all I have to do is enter the IP and then it will ask me to login?

THanks

Ray
April 4, 2006 4:20:52 PM

Do you have a home router for your network?
Related resources
April 4, 2006 5:19:28 PM

First, if I were you, I would go to www.no-ip.com, read up on and then take advantage of their free ip redirection service. In short, you register a URL from one of thier domains and then install a small client on your computer that automatically contacts them and redirects your new URL your dynamically changing IP address. That way, instead of having to always know your IP address, all you have to remember is your domain name (i.e. MyRemoteDesktop.no-ip.com).

Next, if you have a router, firewall or both you need to forward TCP port 3389 thru to your computer that you want to remotely control. This is the port that Remote Desktop uses.

If you are serving ip addresses thru your router too, you may need to make it so that your chosen computer gets served the same IP address every time, or just turn DHCP off and manually config the IP settings on the computer.
April 4, 2006 5:33:14 PM

This should also probably be posted somewhere other than VPN as it is definitely not a VPN question. Ethernet LAN maybe?
!