Intel Samples 45nm Penryn Microprocessors.

r0ck

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20061127154338.html

Intel’s sampling of the code-named Penryn processor at 45nm fabrication process occurs amid the company’s arch-rival Advanced Micro Devices still have not announced a single processor made using 65nm fabrication process, which is used to manufacture the majority of Intel’s central processing units (CPUs) these days. According to the director of Intel, the company is on-track to produce Penryn in volumes and ship them to customers in the second half of 2007.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

Intel’s sampling of the code-named Penryn processor at 45nm fabrication process occurs amid the company’s arch-rival Advanced Micro Devices still have not announced a single processor made using 65nm fabrication process, which is used to manufacture the majority of Intel’s central processing units (CPUs) these days. According to the director of Intel, the company is on-track to produce Penryn in volumes and ship them to customers in the second half of 2007.

Word, Playa.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

FUD, FUD, FUD. AMDs 65nm chips will be released on Dec 5(two weeks from now) according to DigiTimes. They are about 6-12 months behind on process shrinks with 1/5 of the market and maybe even revenue. That's not too bad. They even KEPT the crown through 3 Intel 65nm Revs - AT LEAST. That means that Barcelona will be a force to be reckoned with- especially with HT3 and DDR1066(1066 is supported and it will be there for launch more than likely).

There are and will be two CPU manufs. The speed crown will probably shift just like nVidia/ATi. 100fps is 100fps. Get used to it.

BMFM

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
...Typically, thinner manufacturing process may allow Intel to crank up clock-speed of the chips, enlarge its cache sizes, reduce power consumption...
I’ve already read around that Penryn/Wolfdale would be shipped with a 50% larger cache, although this has not been confirmed.

r0ck

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
intel-roadmap-1.gif

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
FUD, FUD, FUD. AMDs 65nm chips will be released on Dec 5(two weeks from now) according to DigiTimes.

If they are going to release it 2 weeks from now, where are the benchmarks? There should be a few ES chips around at least.

I hope you´re right though. Because if they don´t get it done soon, intel will ruin AMD since they can offer 45nm chips dirt cheap.

kg4icg

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Baron you need to read your roadmap, that you posted. 4x4 is 90 nm not 65 and AMD 65nm won't be out till next year. According to your roadmap that you poisted.

R Collins

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
FUD, FUD, FUD. AMDs 65nm chips will be released on Dec 5(two weeks from now) according to DigiTimes.

If they are going to release it 2 weeks from now, where are the benchmarks? There should be a few ES chips around at least.

I hope you´re right though. Because if they don´t get it done soon, intel will ruin AMD since they can offer 45nm chips dirt cheap.

They are the same chips 100MHz higher per SKU. 4200+ is 2.3, 4600+ is 2.5, 5000+ is 2.7GHz. Intel 45nm will not be a main % of their inventory until sometime in 2008 since there are plenty of 65nm chips left and more will be made before 45nm comes around. Until then AMD can make 3-4X the amount of chips per wafer. The price war is over.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Baron you need to read your roadmap, that you posted. 4x4 is 90 nm not 65 and AMD 65nm won't be out till next year. According to your roadmap that you poisted.

R Collins

Not another one. If you look closely at the graph X2 65nm is due before 07 while the Sempron/single core are due around Jan. Reputable sources say that Dec 5 is the day that X2 65nm debuts. That's before 07. And on schedule.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
If AMD could make 3 times as many chips as they can make now, then the price war would really speed up. AMD could sell chips for a lot less than they do now and still make a profit.

You have to admit its a little weird that there are no ES around or any benchmarks or at least semi-believable leaks. :?

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
1Q '07 would be my guess.
I havent kept a close watch on AMD but theres definitely nothing to be released in a few weeks.

Based on the lack of rumors, i tend to agree. At least some taiwan based motherboard manufacturer would have leaked something about motherboard compatibility or a new bios revision. There has always been that kind of leaks before a transition to a new nm size. 8O

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
If AMD could make 3 times as many chips as they can make now, then the price war would really speed up. AMD could sell chips for a lot less than they do now and still make a profit.

You have to admit its a little weird that there are now ES around or any benchmarks or at least semi-believable leaks. :?

AMD never has a lot of ES floating around and it's the same chip just at 65nm. Look at a current AM2 4800+ and 5000+ and the new model 4800+ will be right between them. They may actually get a few more % because the new divider will make "closer to DDR2 800" ratios - especially for the 5000+. 800 will run at 770MHZ instead of 742. Not much but may provide slight improvement.

But then 65nm just gives AMD more chips to sell at a lower price. EVeryone admits that Dell sucked up a large amount and I would guess they sold them all since they do "made-to-order."

If AMD really gets 50% 65nm by Q2, they will have three times the amount of chips at the "same" cost to manufacture.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
There should be a few ES chips around at least.
1Q '07 would be my guess.
I havent kept a close watch on AMD but theres definitely nothing to be released in a few weeks.

Then you admit that are being biased in saying that they can't keep ANY schedule? They have said they would release in Q4, and even DigiTimes is quoted as saying Dec 5.

I hope they have at least 2 million ready. That would shut up the naysayers.

locky28

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Yorkfield XE ey, This thing is gonna be a nuclear weapon sounds spectaculer, but my question is what's with the 2x6mb cache? Isn't intel supposed to be moving to REAL quad core (i.e 4x* mb cache) instead of two Dual cores on single die by then? To me 2x6mb cache implies it will be the same as the kentsfield with two conroe chips on the same shard of metal just 45nm and more cache.... can someone explain this?

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
I think you´re right about the ES part. Intel is the one throwing the ES chips around. Still, i´m a little skeptical. It would make sense to release the chips before chrismas, but there are just not enough signs that would really indicate a launch in 2 weeks. Heck, maybe i read a benchmark about the new CPU tomorrow, but right now, i just can´t see how.
Don´t get me wrong though, as i said, i really hope they get their 65nm parts ready to earn some money. I think this can´t be settled by words - we´ll have to see if AMD rolls out its new line on dec. 5 or not.

I second that. I don't think I heard of really anybody besides a *few* tech sites having ESes of AMD chips, going back to the original K8 Hammers. Almost no 90nm Winchester A64 or X2 ESes out there, same for the AM2 CPUs. But everybody and his brother had ESes of Intel CPUs, especially the Core 2-based CPUs.

I think that AMD is just naturally very tight-lipped and run a tight ship as far as keeping things under wraps until ready. And rightly so, for two reasons: one is that if they don't hit it off perfectly, they can invisibly wait until it is right and few would really notice. I heard that the first Opteron engineering samples were very poor CPUs and didn't run at more than 1 GHz- if AMD had put a lot of those out in the wild, that would be terrible publicity for them and would make a lot of people leery about buying a finished (and excellent) K8. And if the ESes were world-beaters...just look back at Intel's cash hemorrhaging earlier this year after they flooded the market with ESes of Conroes and made their multi-billion-dollar inventory of NetBurst CPUs virtually unsalable.

AMD isn't doing nothing, nor are they stupid. They want to sell every chip that they make for a decent price, and in fact, they are doing a little too well at that as they have more orders than they can fill at the moment. Playing smart is how they were able to survive as the much smaller competitor in the x86 CPU market and even take away a fair chunk of Intel's market share. Sunnyvale's behavior is not necessarily good for tech journalism or good to build up hype in the community, but it seems to have worked very well for them and they're sticking to it. I know if I were in Hector Ruiz's shoes, I'd do the same thing. [/i]

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
I second that. I don't think I heard of really anybody besides a *few* tech sites having ESes of AMD chips, going back to the original K8 Hammers. Almost no 90nm Winchester A64 or X2 ESes out there, same for the AM2 CPUs. But everybody and his brother had ESes of Intel CPUs, especially the Core 2-based CPUs.

I think that AMD is just naturally very tight-lipped and run a tight ship as far as keeping things under wraps until ready. And rightly so, for two reasons: one is that if they don't hit it off perfectly, they can invisibly wait until it is right and few would really notice. I heard that the first Opteron engineering samples were very poor CPUs and didn't run at more than 1 GHz- if AMD had put a lot of those out in the wild, that would be terrible publicity for them and would make a lot of people leery about buying a finished (and excellent) K8. And if the ESes were world-beaters...just look back at Intel's cash hemorrhaging earlier this year after they flooded the market with ESes of Conroes and made their multi-billion-dollar inventory of NetBurst CPUs virtually unsalable.

AMD isn't doing nothing, nor are they stupid. They want to sell every chip that they make for a decent price, and in fact, they are doing a little too well at that as they have more orders than they can fill at the moment. Playing smart is how they were able to survive as the much smaller competitor in the x86 CPU market and even take away a fair chunk of Intel's market share. Sunnyvale's behavior is not necessarily good for tech journalism or good to build up hype in the community, but it seems to have worked very well for them and they're sticking to it. I know if I were in Hector Ruiz's shoes, I'd do the same thing. [/i]

Agree with you :wink:

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
dude baron....stop being a freaking amd fanboy

INTEL FOR LIFE

Could you please explain what you are trying to say? I mean, i can live with miserable punctuation, but this post lacks any coherence. And what is INTEL FOR LIFE? Prescott for life? Is that the computer enthusiasts version of a fiery hell? What did i do to deserve a fate like that? Am i missing something? :?:
And why is that word fanboy showing its ugly head here? I think that word gets used way too much. It´s almost like the end it all nazi-comparison. 8O

TRENDING THREADS