novak

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2004
hey guys need your opinoin on these two cpu's. So I was planning to go with the Intel Core 2 Duo but talked to someone about it and they recommened a Dual Xeon core 2 chip as it would be faster and better number cruncher when setup correctly.

Now I have always been under the assumption that Xeon chips were for servers which they are but he said if you set it up with an Intel board and right peripherials that it will run fast.

So how does it really compare to a Core 2 Duo, when I looked on newegg the specs for them looked exactly the same so I guess what is really the difference between them? What do you prefer or recommened between the two of them?

Thanks

r0ck

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
I think the Xeons are picked to be running at lower voltages, but they both perform the same. Unless heat is that big of an issue, I'd stick to the Core 2 Duo.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
the xeon versions of the c2d's run a bit cooler (like 2c) and oc a bit higher, other then that there the same chip, even the cpu id is the same. there basiclly just c2d's that passed intels endurance tests and are approved for server use, so there supposed to be able to handle a large amount of processing 24/7/365.

novak

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2004
so for like gaming which is primarly what I am going to get it for, it really isn't going to matter which one I choose?

Thanks

In my tests of each processor (3060 vs the E6600) we confirmed whats pretty much common knowledge. You'll be limited more by your graphics card than by choosing a Core 2 over a Xeon.

novak

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2004
true, I guess it's more personal prefrence as to which someone would choose. for the motherboard, There the same socket so they would each run on the same motherboard compatibility wise or the person I talked to said if I were going to run the Xeon I should get an Intel server board

Later if I want to upgrade am I still going to beable to put another Intel chip in that server board or is that board going ot be a one shot deal just for the Xeon?

The Xeon that everyone is referring to (the 30XX series) works in any good P965 or 975 LGA775 motherboard. The higher model Xeons (5XXX and 7XXX) only work with LGA771 motherboards and also require specialized RAM. the other "disadvantage" from the "Conroe" Xeons is that they don't support dual processor or multiple processor setups.

Really, unless you are an OCer or a avid HTPC builder, you're not going to experience any real benefits from using the "Conroe" Xeons. Yes it runs cooler, but only by an average of 2 to 3C. Yes its faster, but only by a negligible margin.

More information on this can be found here:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=207592&highlight=3060+e6600

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
yeah, the oc-ing advantage is nice, if you have the extra cash for it, and your oc-ing get the xeon version of the C2D instead of its regualr counterpart.

novak

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2004
So I assume were coming to a group decision that really there not much of a difference between the chips which is shown by the specs, maybe heat but that's about it.

Onto the c2d's then I got a question. a review on newegg for the E6300 said that it was harder to overclock it than it is to overclock the E6400. is that total clap trap or is there some truth behind that at all?

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
nope the same, you might not get it as high as an E6400 though, since it has a lower multi.

@DaSickNinja: $20 matters alot when your already $500 over budget with a system and are relying on a couple relatives to cover the cost extra cost as an xmas gift. im still getting the system though, so im happy. :D

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
nah, your not paying for the non-existant dual proc feature, your paying for the xeon name. i would suggest getting the 3040, since it has a slight oc-ing edge.

You aren't able to take advantage of the DP or MP functions on a Core 2. Intel doesn't enable that. So if thats what you mean. no. you're paying for the higher binning and also the Xeon name.

novak

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2004
alright guys, thanks for your help gives me a better idea of the real difference or really no difference between the two chips haha, Thanks again

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Their performance is exactly the same, lets begin there.
Then the OCing difference shouldnt be more than 20Mhz FSB at max according to my calculations. So unless youre planning to overclock your CPU above ~475Mhz FSB you wont be limiting your overclock either.
There are other things to consider as longer warranty for Xeons and a crappy game that comes with the E6300.

novak

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2004
I'll see, I mean yeah were all in agreement that their stock performance is the same, then you get into overclocking which I am not going to do at the beginning, maybe after having it for a while but still doubtful.

So I wont have to do any special treatment with the xeon chip right, I can use standard DDR2 800 Ram with it and a standard LGA775 Socket mobo right?

Both chips are great but I may go with the c2d just because of the name and there newer not that that matters but there just in "hype" with people at the moment if you tell them core 2 duo there like "ohh yeah"

Correct. Your standard DDR2 will work with either. About you other statement, too me it sounds cooler if you can say ""I've got a Xeon", but maybee thats just who I hang around with... :p