Unallocated Partition Space?

Hi all.
I have a 160GB HDD. my C: drive consists of about 1520GB. The rest of the
space (7.8GB) is listed as Unallocated. Using Partition Magic, I cannopt
create a new partition or otherwise utilize this space. What's up with that?
Is there any way I can utilize this almost 8GB of "unallocated" space?
Thanks.
12 answers Last reply
More about unallocated partition space

    What version of Partition Magic do you have ?
    Version 8.1 has no problem with that.

    "LMO" <lmo01nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all.
    > I have a 160GB HDD. my C: drive consists of about 1520GB. The rest of the
    > space (7.8GB) is listed as Unallocated. Using Partition Magic, I cannopt
    > create a new partition or otherwise utilize this space. What's up with
    > that? Is there any way I can utilize this almost 8GB of "unallocated"
    > space?
    > Thanks.

    If Windows XP was preinstalled on a new computer,
    such as a HP computer, that partition is a hidden partition
    containing the recovery files for Windows XP. Don't
    attempt to delete/alter that partition or you'll not be able to
    perform a system recovery if needed.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "LMO" wrote:

    | Hi all.
    | I have a 160GB HDD. my C: drive consists of about 1520GB. The rest of the
    | space (7.8GB) is listed as Unallocated. Using Partition Magic, I cannopt
    | create a new partition or otherwise utilize this space. What's up with that?
    | Is there any way I can utilize this almost 8GB of "unallocated" space?
    | Thanks.

    No. It is normal to have 8MB of unallocated space. When ever I have used
    Partition Magic to partition drives I always end up with the 8MB unallocated
    space. Don't worry about it.

    You did mean megabytes right? If it is Gigabytes then you have a problem!

    RD

    "LMO" <lmo01nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all.
    > I have a 160GB HDD. my C: drive consists of about 1520GB. The rest of the
    > space (7.8GB) is listed as Unallocated. Using Partition Magic, I cannopt
    > create a new partition or otherwise utilize this space. What's up with
    > that? Is there any way I can utilize this almost 8GB of "unallocated"
    > space?
    > Thanks.

    That should read 152GB...sorry!

    "LMO" <lmo01nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all.
    > I have a 160GB HDD. my C: drive consists of about 1520GB. The rest of the
    > space (7.8GB) is listed as Unallocated. Using Partition Magic, I cannopt
    > create a new partition or otherwise utilize this space. What's up with
    > that? Is there any way I can utilize this almost 8GB of "unallocated"
    > space?
    > Thanks.

    Correct. I meant MB, not GB!
    Thank you. I'll just leave it be then.

    In news:33n5aqF424e2oU1@individual.net,
    LMO <lmo01nospam@yahoo.com> typed:

    > Correct. I meant MB, not GB!
    > Thank you. I'll just leave it be then.

    Just to put this in perspective, 8 million may sound like a lot
    of bytes, but the actual value of that 8MB of disk space is
    something less than a US nickel.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > "Randy D" <earthuser@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> No. It is normal to have 8MB of unallocated space. When ever I
    >> have
    >> used Partition Magic to partition drives I always end up with
    >> the 8MB
    >> unallocated space. Don't worry about it.
    >>
    >> You did mean megabytes right? If it is Gigabytes then you have
    >> problem!
    >> RD
    >>

    >> "LMO" <lmo01nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi all.
    >>> I have a 160GB HDD. my C: drive consists of about 1520GB. The
    >>> rest
    >>> of the space (7.8GB) is listed as Unallocated. Using
    >>> Partition
    >>> Magic, I cannopt create a new partition or otherwise utilize
    >>> this
    >>> space. What's up with that? Is there any way I can utilize
    >>> this
    >>> almost 8GB of "unallocated" space?
    >>> Thanks.

    If this is a Primary partition, you can resize it to include the unallocated
    space.
    But
    If this is a Logical partition you can't.

    "JerryM (ID)" <jerrym526@cableone.net> wrote in message
    > What version of Partition Magic do you have ?
    > Version 8.1 has no problem with that.
    >
    > "LMO" <lmo01nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi all.
    >> I have a 160GB HDD. my C: drive consists of about 1520GB. The rest of the
    >> space (7.8GB) is listed as Unallocated. Using Partition Magic, I cannopt
    >> create a new partition or otherwise utilize this space. What's up with
    >> that? Is there any way I can utilize this almost 8GB of "unallocated"
    >> space?
    >> Thanks.

    Let me get this straight, you have a 152gb disk drive and you post here
    wanting to know how to recover 8mb of unallocated space?

    LMO wrote:

    >I have a 160GB HDD. my C: drive consists of about 1520GB. The rest of the
    >space (7.8GB) is listed as Unallocated.

    152 GB (binary measure) is just about 160 billion as disks are
    described. I think your 7.8 GB is in fact 7.8 MB. This is the left
    over part of the very first cylinder of the drive, after the first
    sector is used for the Master Boot Record and partition tables

    Why does that bother you?

    "justme" <spamspam@spam.com> wrote in message
    > Let me get this straight, you have a 152gb disk drive and you post here
    > wanting to know how to recover 8mb of unallocated space?
    >
    > "LMO" <lmo01nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Correct. I meant MB, not GB!
    > Thank you. I'll just leave it be then.
    >
    > "Randy D" <earthuser@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> No. It is normal to have 8MB of unallocated space. When ever I have used
    >> Partition Magic to partition drives I always end up with the 8MB
    >> unallocated space. Don't worry about it.
    >>
    >> You did mean megabytes right? If it is Gigabytes then you have a problem!
    >>
    >> RD
    >>

    >> "LMO" <lmo01nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi all.
    >>> I have a 160GB HDD. my C: drive consists of about 1520GB. The rest of
    >>> the
    >>> space (7.8GB) is listed as Unallocated. Using Partition Magic, I cannopt
    >>> create a new partition or otherwise utilize this space. What's up with
    >>> that? Is there any way I can utilize this almost 8GB of "unallocated"
    >>> space?
    >>> Thanks.

    Thank you, Alex. That was a good explanation. Pretty much what I was trying
    to figure out.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > If Windows XP was preinstalled on a new computer,
    > such as a HP computer, that partition is a hidden partition
    > containing the recovery files for Windows XP. Don't
    > attempt to delete/alter that partition or you'll not be able to
    > perform a system recovery if needed.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    > "LMO" wrote:
    >
    > | Hi all.
    > | I have a 160GB HDD. my C: drive consists of about 1520GB. The rest of the
    > | space (7.8GB) is listed as Unallocated. Using Partition Magic, I cannopt
    > | create a new partition or otherwise utilize this space. What's up with that?
    > | Is there any way I can utilize this almost 8GB of "unallocated" space?
    > | Thanks.

Partition Partition Magic Microsoft Windows XP