Sign in with
Your question

HDs not showing up in AWARD bios, and new WIN XP install

Last response: in Motherboards
November 28, 2006 2:18:37 AM

TITLE: AWARD 6 BIOS/Fasttrak100 "Lite" BIOS/Installing WIN XP help!?

I'm having trouble trying to get my "new" system running.

I bought it from a friend for very cheap.

I have two ~36GB HDs.

When I boot up it shows the AWARD BIOS, but neither HD is detected, and it shows the CD-rom as the primary master.

Then after that, the screen blacks, then comes to the Fasttrak100 "Lite" BIOS. Ctrl+F to menu screen. Everything seems functional. But I could be wrong. I pressed 1 to automatically set it up, and chose "desktop". and the other default, which I forget right now. EDIT: "performance".

Since these HDs are wiped, I'm trying to install WIN XP. When it boots to the CD-rom, and loads the drivers, and after I accept the EULA, it is supposed to show my hard drives and partitions, and which one I want to use, but it shows that there are none. Then a few seconds later, I get a blue screen of death.

Do I need to flash the BIOS? Anyone have any idea what to do?

Thanks for your help, I eagerly await your replies.
November 28, 2006 4:33:30 AM

Well...I'm not sure, but if they are going to be on a raid array, doesn't that make them like...one device? So, wouldn't I want the jumpers to be on the same pins?

When I first got the computer, it was still running xp. It was just kinda messed up, so I know it's not completely broken. I'm just missing something.

Right now, I'm going to try the WINXP CD again, and do the F6 route. Hopefully I will be able to point to the CD-rom drive for the raid drivers, my computer doesn't have a floppy disk drive on it. Well, at least not the laptop I'm downloading the drivers from. I am going to burn them onto a CD and try that way. Will post results.
November 28, 2006 5:05:14 AM

Alright, since it is apparent, the only way to do the F6 route is with a floppy disk, I will have to try your approach.

Now, how do I put the pins so that one is master and one is slave? Does it matter which cables are connected to which HDs?
Related resources
November 28, 2006 5:23:08 AM

As they are now, they are both attached to their own cables.

WINXP was working this way before...

But I will still try it. Thanks for the input. I will tell you what happens.
November 28, 2006 1:30:02 PM

I have no idea.

How do I figure that out?
!