microsoft mouse jumps around?

SL

Hey all,

hours away...happy new year!

Anyways, I bought a Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse. I have had all kinds of
mice hooked up to the same XP Pro machine over the years. That is both
optical and ball.

Now, for some unknown reason, this new mouse will occasionally act a little
funny. It seems to be while surfing and using Outlook Express.

What happens, is if I seem to be idle (like writing this), and then go to
scroll or whatever.... It will jump down towards the start menu. It kind
of reminds me If I have dual monitor engaged and I accidently scroll off
screen. Im using of course the generic xp supplied driver. I used to have
a Logitech mouse attached that did not exhibit this behavior.

I am possibly re-doing my system shortly, and will use the mouse again. I
can hopefully rule out any driver conflicts that might be existing. I doubt
it though. Is this a logical thought process? If not, what other symptoms
should I look for?

thanks all,
SL

norm

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 15:48:25 -0500, "SL" <pillott@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>hours away...happy new year!
>
>Anyways, I bought a Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse. I have had all kinds of
>mice hooked up to the same XP Pro machine over the years. That is both
>optical and ball.
>
>Now, for some unknown reason, this new mouse will occasionally act a little
>funny. It seems to be while surfing and using Outlook Express.
>
>What happens, is if I seem to be idle (like writing this), and then go to
>scroll or whatever.... It will jump down towards the start menu. It kind
>of reminds me If I have dual monitor engaged and I accidently scroll off
>screen. Im using of course the generic xp supplied driver. I used to have
>a Logitech mouse attached that did not exhibit this behavior.
>
>I am possibly re-doing my system shortly, and will use the mouse again. I
>can hopefully rule out any driver conflicts that might be existing. I doubt
>it though. Is this a logical thought process? If not, what other symptoms
>should I look for?
>
>thanks all,
>SL

Same here, think it maybe the design, the plastic round the infra-red
detector looks too reflective and can pickup up misaligned signals
especially from "incorrect" mouse mat surface.

I also notice the scroll button doesnt work in a number of
applications.

Logitech on my W95 is much better!

Norm