Compex NP26G USB - Logitech Pro 4000 - TrackerCam - Discus..

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
July 11, 2004 6:35:10 PM

I've just installed the new Compex NP26G USB broadband router with their
firmware upgrade for webcam and tilt/pan control for Logitech Pro 4000 &
TrackerCam pod.

Everything is working but if the camera is exposed to outdoor light levels
the picture becomes way too light and unusable. I've played with the white
balance & brightness controls with very little change in overall
whiteness/brightness. This is not a good thing.

Also it seems that only a single user can access the webcam/trackerpod
through the NP26G and there is no sound or digital zoom capability. This
makes it pretty difficult to share the information simultaneously.

I'm probably trying to accomplish too much for such a low price; $300 from
trackercam.com

Any suggestions?
Anonymous
July 11, 2004 8:39:04 PM

I've just installed the new Compex NP26G USB broadband router with their
firmware upgrade for webcam and tilt/pan control for Logitech Pro 4000 &
TrackerCam pod.

Everything is working but if the camera is exposed to outdoor light levels
the picture becomes way too light and unusable. I've played with the white
balance & brightness controls with very little change in overall
whiteness/brightness. This is not a good thing.

Also it seems that only a single user can access the webcam/trackerpod
through the NP26G and there is no sound or digital zoom capability. This
makes it pretty difficult to share the information simultaneously.

I'm probably trying to accomplish too much for such a low price; $300 from
trackercam.com

Any suggestions?

Added info:

I've learned by trial and error -

If I connect the webcam directly to the computer and make adjustments to
the settings that it will retain these settings when I reconnect the webcam
to the server . . .

So I didn't need 'sunglasses' as suggested by Dave

How 'bout that ! ?
Anonymous
July 11, 2004 10:11:48 PM

More questions:

I'm wondering why on the first click on the control panel, the pod seems to
move in the opposite direction with subsequent clicks bringing it back then
moving in the direction that is clicked ? ? ?

"Ralph Wallace" <ralphwallace@charter.net> wrote in message
> I've just installed the new Compex NP26G USB broadband router with their
> firmware upgrade for webcam and tilt/pan control for Logitech Pro 4000 &
> TrackerCam pod.
>
> Everything is working but if the camera is exposed to outdoor light levels
> the picture becomes way too light and unusable. I've played with the white
> balance & brightness controls with very little change in overall
> whiteness/brightness. This is not a good thing.
>
> Also it seems that only a single user can access the webcam/trackerpod
> through the NP26G and there is no sound or digital zoom capability. This
> makes it pretty difficult to share the information simultaneously.
>
> I'm probably trying to accomplish too much for such a low price; $300 from
> trackercam.com
>
> Any suggestions?

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 11, 2004 11:59:41 PM

"Ralph Wallace" <ralphwallace@charter.net> wrote in message
> I've just installed the new Compex NP26G USB broadband router with their
> firmware upgrade for webcam and tilt/pan control for Logitech Pro 4000 &
> TrackerCam pod.
>
> Everything is working but if the camera is exposed to outdoor light levels
> the picture becomes way too light and unusable. I've played with the white
> balance & brightness controls with very little change in overall
> whiteness/brightness. This is not a good thing.
>
> Also it seems that only a single user can access the webcam/trackerpod
> through the NP26G and there is no sound or digital zoom capability. This
> makes it pretty difficult to share the information simultaneously.
>
> I'm probably trying to accomplish too much for such a low price; $300 from
> trackercam.com
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> The outdoor lighting seems to be a common problem with that camera, have
heard the same thing many times. It was suggested that you take on old pair
of sunglasses and cut of a small lens cover and tape it in front of the lens
for daylight use. Can't help you out on the router, I've never heard of it
before. Too bad you didn't post in this group before your purchases. I could
have suggested a used Sony EVI-D30 and a used normal type router that would
do everything you want with exceptionally high quality and all the features
(also with 12x optical zoom). Total would have run you about $300.

At least I can solve the lighting problem for you. A high tech fix would be
a neutral density filter (2X or 3X) for in front of the lens, but try the
old sunglasses trick first, can't beat the cost...it's free

Regards,
David
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 4:33:12 AM

"Ralph wrote in ...
> I've just installed the new Compex NP26G USB broadband router with their
> firmware upgrade for webcam and tilt/pan control for Logitech Pro 4000 &
> TrackerCam pod.

I have that set up except minus the pan/tilt unit.
$75 router from online etailer / $40 cam off ebay. Would prefer to use it
here as a remoted router with usb cam server, and/or switch/ap/usb cam
server ... which hopefully they'll update firmware to allow soon. Then I
might buy another or several more. Stinks they sell an upgrade firewall
package as a $25 option - you would think offering basic firewall as a free
download with no support would sell a ton of routers for them. Thats one
big optional drawback to selling me their routers.

> Everything is working but if the camera is exposed to outdoor light levels
> the picture becomes way too light and unusable. I've played with the white
> balance & brightness controls with very little change in overall
> whiteness/brightness. This is not a good thing.

Hmm, maybe if you hook the cam to the Logitech software and set it full
automatic and then move it to the cpx cam server you might discover it
automatically handles bright better. Mines looking out the window
and does bright fine , looking north anyhow.

> Also it seems that only a single user can access the webcam/trackerpod
> through the NP26G and there is no sound or digital zoom capability. This
> makes it pretty difficult to share the information simultaneously.

> I'm probably trying to accomplish too much for such a low price; $300 from
> trackercam.com
>
> Any suggestions?

Anonymous
July 12, 2004 4:40:57 PM

I'm trying to customize the webpage on the Compex Server.

Do you know if I can edit the webpages that are contained in the firmware on
the server?

"Ralph Wallace" <ralphwallace@charter.net> wrote in message
> I've just installed the new Compex NP26G USB broadband router with their
> firmware upgrade for webcam and tilt/pan control for Logitech Pro 4000 &
> TrackerCam pod.
>
> Also it seems that only a single user can access the webcam/trackerpod
> through the NP26G and there is no sound or digital zoom capability. This
> makes it pretty difficult to share the information simultaneously.
>
> Any suggestions?
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 10:39:35 PM

> I'm trying to customize the webpage on the Compex Server.
>
> Do you know if I can edit the webpages that are contained in the firmware
on
> the server?

if you discover how ... let us know.

I put the cam pic on a webpage as just a simple Object
and it requires body onLoad onUnload to keep things simple for a user.
attached is local video only as example

begin 666 cpxObject.htm
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M=64](C@X.#@B/@T*(" @(" @(" @(#QP87)A;2!N86UE/2)01DE0(B!V86QU