Intel Core 2 Duo Overheating

Lambkin

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
I have a new computer which was built for me, which has an ASUS P5B Deluxe WiFi AP motherboard and Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 2.4GHz and 2MB RAM (2 x 1MB modules). I have an NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT video card and SoundBlaster Audigy sound card and am running Win XP with SP2 and all security updates applied

The ASUS PC Probe utility keeps reporting that the CPU and Memory temperatures are too high:
CPU 62 degrees
Memory 51 degrees

I've checked the temp in the BIOS too but it is only very slightly lower. Even at startup the BIOS reports that the CPU temp is 50 and this increases with passing seconds.
BIOS version is 02.58 and AMIBIOS version is 0302.

Can someone tell me what i need to do to get the temps down as am not aux fait with pc building. :?
Folk that built the PC do not want to know.

Thanks in advance :)

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Sigh, generic heat problem, I'll throw out my generic heat solution...

Check your HSF, reseat it if possible. I would say 90% of the time that is the issue with heat. Is you're fan spinning? Are you're case fan's working?

I'd bet good money it's not mounted in right. If a friend built the comp for you, that stock HSF is a biatch to mount in right and he might have missed one side.

minim3

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
lol, when I installed mine, I took a ruler and measure the distance at all four fastenings - to make sure I didn't miss one!

minim3

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
I think Supreme Law posted something about there being an actual defect in the stock heatsink. I'll go look for it.

wtf????? where?????? link???? I just got mine and you just made me very nervous!!!!!!!!

minim3

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
that make me lol : " Best solution is to switch to a superior HSF
with a proper backing plate. We prefer the
ASUS VR Guard Series, because of its superior
engineering for cooling the voltage regulators
on recent high-end ASUS LGA-775 motherboards. "

Ok, the guy has a valid point about hsf with a backplate. But why is the asus so superior is beyond me! But I'll keep an eye about high temps and hsf loosening or whatever.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
He's basically saying the fastners suck, which they really do suck.. nothing new there, those things like I said are a biatch..

Get the AC7 Pro. Problem solved.

Lambkin

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Thanks for the advice guys.....think i'll be taking it back and telling them to do something with it........i.e. new (and better) hsf.

:)

avarice

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
I built my PC as well - but had no problems with the stock HS. It worked fine for me - and mounted cleanly. I did mount it before installing the MB into the case - so I was able to verify that the pins were pushed through properly.

Of course - since you cannot be too rich, too sexy or too cool - I chose to upgrade to the Arctic Cooling 7. Nice price for really good preformance - not intended for serious overclocking - but nice for a moderate increase in clockspeeds. I will admit that the AC7 seemed to install easier than the stock HS.

Check your installed HS - and test again.

Good luck.

minim3

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
He's basically saying the fastners suck, which they really do suck.. nothing new there, those things like I said are a biatch..

Get the AC7 Pro. Problem solved.

Does the AC7 Pro has a backplate? I just looked over in their site (installation.pdf) and didn't see one.

strew

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
I want to make note what I found myself on this issue.
I have Asus P5B Deluxe with core 2 duo stock heat sink, over heating also. Not extreme like some but enough I wouldn't be able to over clock.
I thought there was enough pressure on the cpu since my mother board flex a far amount.. I was very surprised how much matter of fact..Yes i agree that a backer plate would be better.. what I really found to be more surprising was that I found the mating face was not flat on the heat sink. I put a flat object like steel ruler across the face and found that I could see plenty of light through it. I'm a tool maker by trade so I looked at the face closer with gages and found the face "CUPPED" .003". ( std writing paper is around .003" thick).
I would like to know for those having the same problem if your heat sink is the same way.
I guess if you don't have a depth mic you could put a steel scale across the surface and see if you can use feelers to see if there is a gap. You could also use paper..thin paper like...rolling paper or like a very light paper from receipts. ripped into 1/8" strip, place it under a straight edge cross ways and pull the paper to see if there is any restriction. try that in the center.
On my heat sink, it is cupped due the way they manufacture it.

Supergoal

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I too had major problems with the same mobo and cpu as you. I had to re-install several times the stock fan and it was an absolute nightmare making sure all four pins were locked into place. Though even now I'm not sure all four ARE for definite in proper. When I get round to it, I'll definitely be investing in a 3rd party HSF and throwing the intel one away.

Just to state, my current temperatures are now as reported by Core Temp Beta to be at around 30c and 33c idle. Though as I have mentioned in other threads, there seems to be some difference between different temperature monitoring programs and the internal BIOS readings. many people swear by Core Temp mind, so I'll be using that as the benchmark.