Why couldn't we have desktop hdd's with more than 1TB??

Spielwurfel

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
The largest hdd's that we have can store up to 750GB, with four plates... A 2.5'' hdd with a single plate can store now 200Gb...

So, 4 x 200gb = 800Gb

But I'm talking about a desktop hdd, with 3.5''... So It could store much more data in a plate... And I think it's more than enough to pass the 1TB barrier...

It would reduce production costs and save space in servers and stuff...

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I read something a few months ago (can't find it now) that Maxtor found that there is currently a user price point barrier keeping them from producing larger drives - not enough users can justify the current prices required. They would rather pay for a second drive to offer more redundancy. Maxtor believed that new technology in '07 would allow them to cut production costs and allow an increase in storage sizes for the same price as today's hd.

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
There is now a mobile hard drive that can hold 200 GB on 2 platters which is 2 x 100 GB. That is the best available right now. That math would yield 4 x 100 GB. The reason that we have 750 GB HDDs is that a 3.5" drive allows the platters to be much larger, that allows us to have 4 x 175 GB. Also we tend to see better arial densities on desktop drives because they are not requiered to be as tolerant of movement while working. 2.5" drives have to be able to handle a lot more shock and vibration.

We're getting there. The methods of reading and the amount of platters that can be stuffed into a 3.5 have all improved. I'm thinking we'll see 1TB by the end of next year if not earlier.

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
We should see them earlier than the end of next year. Seagate's perpendicular recording system gave them a boost from 500GB to 750GB. It shouldn't be too hard to go to 1TB. My guess is that there's not much scope for 1TB drives in the consumer market. Most people have trouble filling up 200GB, let alone 750GB or 1TB.