Attention! Sluggish Performance with Core 2 Duo????

goose36

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
Hey guys,

Pardon the caps but this is an issue I've seen floating around the web and having fixed the problem myself, I felt I should share.

I was having problems multi-tasking with my X6800. Even though I'm overclocked, single operations flew. But when I would try to run let's say an anti-virus scan and an anti-spyware scan @ the same time, my system would bog down like it was fully loaded even though task manager showed no to little cpu activity.

After extensive research and post, I was led to the Microsoft website stating Hotfix 896256 which addresses multi-cpu multi-tasking bogging system issues. Even though they don't offer a link to download, I was able to google it and save it to flash drive.

When I got home, I ran the hotfix without the registry modifications that were suggested and my problem was gone (after reboot of course).

I tested it running AVG Anti-Spyware, AVG Anti-Virus, Counterspy, Pestpatrol, Spybot & Ad-aware @ the same time. I also had windows media player open listening to tunes and browsing (but slowly) google videos and viewing them all @ the same time. Before, I couldn't even switch between windows with 3 apps running.

Pass this info on to anyone experiencing this problem.

Any questions, let me know cause I am again one happy camper :D

goose36

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
The only thing it fixes is sluggish performance only if you experience it. The microsoft website says that only apply if it is a symptom. You shouldn't notice single app performance. Also the link you have to right click and save as. Don't know why it won't link directly.

goose36

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
You're right. But this issue addresses multi-tasking in xp sp2. If I had multiple windows open @ 1 time, I would have a big lag when I tried to switch between windows. That is all this hotfix addresses.

BMFM

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Still, I agree with cyborg_ninja-117.

Running two HDD scans at once, you will experience some lag.

HDD scans are very intensive, whereas CPU load will be quite low.

goose36

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
I agree but why is my multitasking problem gone then after the hotfix? I'm not the only one that this has helped or else I wouldn't have bothered with that solution.

BMFM

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Well, it is obvious that you had a problem, and that it might be common to others. Even Microsoft recognized it as they've come up with a hotfix. There's no possible way I could refute that.

Now, from the example you have used, and I quote:
...when I would try to run let's say an anti-virus scan and an anti-spyware scan @ the same time, my system would bog down like it was fully loaded even though task manager showed no to little cpu activity.
During a HDD scan, you are fated to experience some lag if the programs you have up running try to access the HDD, or even if you decide to load something else.

My observation was made to this context. Although I admit I mistakenly took your example as what had actually happened. And I'm sorry for that. :wink: :oops:

goose36

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
No problem. I actually thought it was that in the first place which prompted me to re-install my sata driver hoping that it was the issue. But after that and running pcmark and scoring very well on the hdd test, I ruled that out as the issue and started asking for help.

Is there anything that I could adjust in xp to make sure that I'm not misconfigured under multi-tasking scenarios?