bwana

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
everybody stores some data off their local C drive. some of us mount network shares through the 'add a network place wizard, some of us 'map network drives, and some of us write .bat files to invoke 'net use'.

does anyone know the nitty gritty differences between these methods and is willing to share? how is it that the 'add a network place' wizard does not give a share a drive letter? why does it sometimes work, when the other 2 methods do not (net use gives me error 67 on 1 pc but the identical command line - letter for letter - issued on another machine works). How to trouble shoot this issue?

even on the the pc where "net use works" - i have to specify /user:<username> <password> in the command line otherwise that pc also gives error 67. i tried adding a Lmhoststimeout DWORD entry in the registry as some have suggested for 15 secs - no help. if i specify the ip thusly,
net use z: http://iDisk.mac.co/username /user:<username> <password>, i get the error 67 immediately. if i use the unc thusly,
net use z: \17.250.248.77username /user:<username> <password>, i get the error 67 after about 10-15 secs. i have read some articles about having a wins entry or an lmhosts entry but do not understand that difference.

The errant pc otherwise surfs the net fine and networks on the lan fine. the target and all the pcs can ping each other. an application, webdrive, has no difficulty mounting the share as a drive letter. can anyone shed light?

OmegaVTX

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Quick and dirty:
Map Share is using Netbios naming to do the connection

Net Use command:
Is actaully really mapping a drive not just a pointer, as it were. If it is making you specify username and password then you seem to have some security setup or different domain or workgroup.

Unless I misunderstood your question...?

bwana

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
i thought the 'map network drive ' command from the toolbar was just the gui version of net use. it's 'add a network place' that's different and does not assign a drive letter.