Yer BUY them in pairs not nesceserily use them as 2, probably just b abl to use 1 seen as they are connected via hyper transport......... places will probably be able to get them in single's i surspect.

That would defeat the purpose of getting a 4x4 machine, now wouldn't it... :wink:
Might as well get a single socket mobo with a dual core proc.

vir_cotto

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
Yer BUY them in pairs not nesceserily use them as 2, probably just b abl to use 1 seen as they are connected via hyper transport......... places will probably be able to get them in single's i surspect.

That would defeat the purpose of getting a 4x4 machine, now wouldn't it... :wink:
Might as well get a single socket mobo with a dual core proc.

I was wondering because I don't want to spend a lot of money right now but be able to upgrade a lot in the future. This would seem like a perfect board to do it . From what I have read in the forums which I believe is true its going to have about 10 Sata ports 4 PCIe and just tons of stuff... Well Unless what I was reading was being made up ? idk but I was just wondering :) Thanks for replying guys!

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Well the other guys are correct. I do believe the FX chips that you can use with the board will only be sold in pairs.

Depending on how the board is layed out, there might be a technology issue with only running 1 cpu. In some Opteron motherboards some features, like the 2nd Gbe port, a 2nd pcie x16 slot will not be accessible with 1 cpu. Because in a dual socket Opteron board, each cpu is connected to other parts of the board through HT. If there is no 2nd cpu, there is no controller to handled the data from the other devices.

asdasd123123

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Why only the FX series anyway? Would really be a smarter move to allow the use of the cheaper cpus to counterbalance intel and their quad setup..

At least for my wallet since I'm poor >_<