help getting new rig connected to the network

I'm in the process of building a new rig. The mb is an Asus A8N32-Sli Delux.

Last night I installed windows XP with SP1. I then installed all the asus drivers. These included the drivers for the two gig lan ports.

I have a wireless linksys router. I have two computers that connect via wireless and one computer (my old/current rig) that connects direct to the switches.

I'm not using wireless for the new rig.

When I plug the network cable in, the "little light" on the built in nic does not "blink" with activity. I can take the cable out of the current rig (that works) and connect it straight to the new rig, but no changes.

If I bypass the router (plug the cable modem staight into the new rig), then I do get activity "blinking". However, I still can't connect.

I've done all the usual stuff; used windows to set up an internet connection, used windows to set up a home office.

I even tried making a "network disk" from my working rig and using that to set up my new rig. Still does not work.

I'm pretty sure the nic is working, I can ping it from the dos prompt. However, when I run ipconfig, the 1'st and last lines (the dns suffix and the default gateway) have no info provided.

I checked the properties of the network connection and everything is set to "auto".

What am I forgettting to do?
1 answer Last reply
More about help connected network
  1. Sounds like you are having a line speed negotiation issue. I know you said everything was set to auto, but make sure you go under the Network properites and then the NIC's properties and check Line Speed/Duplex here.

J
Ask a new question

Read More

Networking