I have upgraded my laptop to 768Mb RAM and reconfigured to "No paging file",
but Task Manager is still showing 200Mb plus of page file usage. What have I
done wrong.

I am trying to switch of the page file on the asumption that performance
will improve. Am I correct and are there any wider implications.

Thanks

Denis Wilton

Hi Denis,

A) Do not completely turn off the paging file - many programs will balk as
they expect it to be there even if it is not in use.

B) When in doubt, reread A).

You should only disable the pagefile when resolving certain system issues
with a corrupt pagefile, otherwise you should leave it on. You may not be
using the "set" button after disabling the virtual memory. Also, your
assumption is incorrect, the existence of the pagefile will not slow your
system down, as Windows will always use the physical ram whenever possible.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Denis Wilton wrote:

>I have upgraded my laptop to 768Mb RAM and reconfigured to "No paging file",
>but Task Manager is still showing 200Mb plus of page file usage. What have I
>done wrong.

Tried to do without a pagefile. Don't.

>I am trying to switch of the page file on the asumption that performance
>will improve. Am I correct and are there any wider implications.

No it won't. If the RAM is adequate for your workload then there will
be no traffic to the file. But pages of memory that programs ask to be
allocated and never use will have to lock out real RAM instead of being
parked in potential page file space - and this can easily be hundreds of
MB. See my page www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm for more