Sign in with
Your question

The best Nvidia 680i?

Last response: in Overclocking
November 28, 2006 7:16:15 PM

i was wondering which 680i should i get for my new system?

there are a few ouit now and i am not buying the striker because the reviews arent good and last i heard the evga was the best 680i

am i wrong?

need too know

More about : nvidia 680i

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
November 28, 2006 7:37:38 PM

What reviews are you refering too? I don't think it's worth the price but that's another story, most review I saw were pretty good.

I am leaning towards the P5N32-E myself as I don't particularly like the eVga layout and I don't trust eVga for frequent Bios updates and so one.

You should know that any foxconn/eVga/BFG/video card manufacturer(xept for MSI) have the exact same board.

I suggest, if you can, to wait for the MSI/Abit/DFI board to come up and see who's the king. Abit should be among the best but it might no be before January, don't know if you can wait.
November 28, 2006 8:02:03 PM

As labbby said its always prudent to wait at least briefly at a new hardware launch.

Having said that if I were to buy right this second I would buy the eVGA unquestionably.

I do know that there was an issue with some noises during sound playback on the 680i at release. eVGA working with Nvidia release a fix about a week and a half ago in the form of a revised bios. In my opinion this bodes well for this boards future if eVGA intends to stay on top of things at this pace.

I prefer the layout much over the striker but since you say you're not getting that its not an issue. They OC about the same "so far" and that goes for the new Biostar release as well.

The asus boards main downfall for me is in the layout. You lose a PCI-x1 slot to the sound card riser. You're also paying more for this feature which is wasted if you use an add-in sound card. Poor choices imo to force the cost of these things on people who as enthusiasts usually use higher end stuff to begin with.

At this moment the eVGA is a no-brainer if you want SLI now or as a future upgrade. If you can wait another week or two tho to see what others come up with by all means do so. :) 
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 28, 2006 8:44:23 PM

eVGA has the most stable board right now. Even if Asus updates their bios and fixes the problem, at $60 less than the competition, the eVGA board is still undoubtedly a steal for the sheer amount of quality you're getting.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
November 28, 2006 9:33:10 PM

All of the above is true. I do like the riser option because I don't think I can see the difference between most audio card. And whatever about CPU utilisation, not worth it.

I want A+ cable routing so the eVga is really border line for me, in that respect the IDE on the P5N32-E isn't much better!
November 29, 2006 10:10:37 PM

this is my first time building a system and i would like to know if the evga is the best choice for me when i am going to be going for sli and overclocking?

BIG GAMER!! so i am looking for somethin to handle the overlclocking...........but what main problems would i run into besides the
p[layback sound noise?

if i get this board what do i download to fix the noise?

and where do i get bio updates?
November 29, 2006 10:18:22 PM

or do you think i should just wait????

if i wait what good new things are supposed to come out with all the things i want to come out of it?

overclocking!

SLI or Crossfire!

mostly for gaming!

here are some of the other 680i boards i was looking at..... these are the ones that just came out i think>..>>>>>>>>

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

any feed back on those two boards?
November 30, 2006 12:20:04 AM

The EVGA, Biostar, and ECS offerings are just basically the reference board provided by Nvidia. Nothing really different about them except the warranties. They should all perform almost exactly the same. In selecting one, you should just go with whatever warranty/bundle/deal you can find. If you want something a little different, wait for Abit's board. I'm not too impressed by the Asus offerings so far, they seem unreasonably priced for what advantages they offer, and most of what they "add" is pointless anyway. Kinda disappointed, hopefully they'll roll something else out soon.
November 30, 2006 12:21:49 AM

Quote:
What reviews are you refering too? I don't think it's worth the price but that's another story, most review I saw were pretty good.

I am leaning towards the P5N32-E myself as I don't particularly like the eVga layout and I don't trust eVga for frequent Bios updates and so one.

You should know that any foxconn/eVga/BFG/video card manufacturer(xept for MSI) have the exact same board.

I suggest, if you can, to wait for the MSI/Abit/DFI board to come up and see who's the king. Abit should be among the best but it might no be before January, don't know if you can wait.

Isn't the DFI board going to be R600? Are they releasing a 680 board as well?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
November 30, 2006 12:28:28 AM

Just to clear thing up it's actually RD600 for the chipset, R600 is the codename for the video card.

DFI will release a 680i chipset around January, tottaly different layout. In my humble opinion, the real killer 680i boards should come from Abit and DFI, the striker seems like marketing to me.

@swany, if you have the luxury of being able to wait, I would hold of until january, the 680i will have matured, we will have a direct comparison with the RD600, I dont know if you're set on the video card but ATI will have it's offering by then.

Buying a PC is tricky, new stuff comes around every 6 month( total generality), like Core 2 Duo in august 2006, then all the good motherboard in january 2007. So then you don't want to by new un-tested stuff but when it's tryed and proven, new stuff is around the corner.
Anyway in january, we should have a clearer picture of the whole computer scene and be able to make an educated buy(as far as intel motherboard/graphic card goes)
November 30, 2006 1:12:20 AM

Yep I meant RD600 thanks, kinda tricky naming going on all over the place lately... You wouldn't happen to have any info on the 680i DFI board would you? I've been following their RD600 board info, it looks promising, but I'm not sure how well it will compare, regardless of who is tweaking it. With only one board with that chipset, well, draw your own conclusions. Time will tell...
November 30, 2006 1:44:53 AM

So I understand the eVGA is the best 680i right now for Core 2 Duo, but does it allow for an upgrade to Quadro?

The reason I ask is that I plan on getting a C2D for now and then upgrading to a Quadro in the future. If possible, I would like to avoid having to purchase another mobo and it doesn't look like the eVGA 680i mobo supports Quadro.

According to Newegg, the only two that support Quadro currently are:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=2010200...

The Biostar TF680i SLI Deluxe and the ECS PN2-SLI2+

Any word on these mobos? Any advice?
November 30, 2006 1:53:05 AM

The eVGA will support quad too. All 680's will.
November 30, 2006 4:45:16 AM

When it gets down to it, how can anyone say Evga is the better board when it's an Nvidia design and is the same board as the other manufacturers who chose to go with the reference design. I do think that Evga has excellent marketing, I do, I do. That's all folks.

I'm looking at the Abit IN9 32X-MAX offering right now.

I've been looking at the latest and greatest to advise a friend on his build and I'm just now starting to get up to speed on what's coming out and what all the choices there are out there.

What I have gleaned so far is that when a bunch of different boards use the same chipset, they tend to test out close enough to make performance a wash. The bottom line then, for me, is to look at layout and features and the retail bundle. Sometimes the bundle will swing the sale if it's better than the others.
November 30, 2006 9:53:45 AM

Quote:
or do you think i should just wait????

If you can I would.
Apart from having a bigger choice later the eVGA (& others ) has definite problems at the moment that hopefully will be resolved with more BIOS development.
November 30, 2006 10:31:58 AM

Quote:
The Biostar TF680i SLI Deluxe and the ECS PN2-SLI2+

Any word on these mobos? Any advice?

From personal experience at my work, I would stay far away from Biostar. We got about 40 machines for a Linux cluster fairly inexpensive and they all had Biostar mobo's. After less than a year, most of them had died due to the mobo's going bad, so we replaced the dead Biostars with ASUS boards and haven't had a single problem with those; in fact, the calculations that we are performing are 15% faster on the ASUS boards with the same chipset.

I'm not saying buy ASUS (although I like them), but I wouldn't recommend Biostar.
November 30, 2006 11:25:08 AM

Biostar has had some issues in the past, true, but this is simply a reference board, not a proprietary design, so it shouldn't be of less quality than the eVGA or ECS board. The main things to look for between the three are the quality of support and the warranty. Watch a few weeks and see who rolls out drivers and bios revs fastest, or who has the least rants on their forums. The design itself is sound.
November 30, 2006 12:13:08 PM

I am extremely happy with me 680i eVGA board. VERY happy. It's easy to use/setup, great overclocking, and it's completely stable. I havn't had a single issue with it and I've been on it for about a week straight playing games, doing office work, playing music/video, burning DVDs and surfin' the net, all at the same time lol. I have to update my sig...
November 30, 2006 1:40:31 PM

Quote:
The eVGA will support quad too. All 680's will.

I just wanted to confirm that all 680i's will support Quad-Core. Can someone point me to a site?

I know Newegg's not a reviewer really, but it struck me as strange that they explicitly categorised their mobos into Quad-Core and Core 2 Duo-capable sections and in the Quad-Core section they only had the two mobos I mentioned above.

If all 680i's support Quad-Core upgrades, that would be great.
November 30, 2006 3:06:27 PM

Quote:
eVGA has the most stable board right now. Even if Asus updates their bios and fixes the problem, at $60 less than the competition, the eVGA board is still undoubtedly a steal for the sheer amount of quality you're getting.

Not sure if I worded my post correctly but thats exactly what I was trying to say. The eVGA is at the moment the "most" stable and the eVGA team is the one I was applauding for fixing an issue very quickly after release.

To OP: Bottom line for me is if I had to have one now it would be the eVGA without a doubt and I think anyone would be very happy with it. There is of course going to be several other boards released soon in the 680i line and if you can wait then by all means give it another week or two.

I've personally waited this long, a month ago it was killing me, now I'm over it and feel like since I've wanted to upgrade for several months now another week or two won't kill me. To each their own. Only you know your situation best. Peace. :) 
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
November 30, 2006 7:30:37 PM

It's a 680i so yes it does!
November 30, 2006 7:43:35 PM

All the 680i boards support quad core, as I mentioned earlier. For the extra $150 with the striker you get some LED's, a fault-readout LCD on the back panel, a different layout, what looks to be about an extra dollar or so worth of copper heatsinks/pipes, and a different, arguably better, BIOS. From some preliminary benchmarks I've seen it only outperforms the eVGA in some gaming apps, but this could just be a bios issue. I know this sounds kinda harsh, I'm usually a pretty big fan of ASUS, but 400 is really pushing it in my opinion. If you're the kind of person that must have the absolute best regardless of cost, than the striker is probably your board. Otherwise, that 150 could be put to better use elsewhere.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
November 30, 2006 8:12:46 PM

You'll have to wait until NEXT YEAR to find out what the "best" of the so called "current" boards are. Most of your choices aren't being produced yet, except for the Stryker and the reference board by Foxconn (sold as EVGA, ECS, and Biostar). ECS is moving towards manufacturing the same board on their own.
November 30, 2006 8:20:46 PM

people having MAJOR issues with the evga board at the moment....i would avoid it untill you know these problems can be sorted out

heres a link to their forums explainging the problem

http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TO...

unless you want to become a beta hardware tester i would steer clear for now
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
November 30, 2006 9:06:35 PM

I was like, wow, great price, but it's a P5n32 and not a P5N32-E
nF4 vs 680i big dif! this won't OC sh***
November 30, 2006 9:06:53 PM

yea stay away from biostar! i had 2 biostar mobo's that died within a year, i got a new mobo but it died from me also and then i decided to upgrade my comp totally - im never buying that shit again Ô_Ô

my asus motherboard have worked perfectly, ok i had a little lightning accident but that was my own fault

i wouldnt recommend biostar for anyone.
November 30, 2006 10:33:15 PM

True, its up to what the buyer wants to do with his/her money. I personally can't justify the extra cash in my mind for a riser I'll never use, losing an extra PCI slot and a tighter space around the CPU for more compatibility issues with coolers and the icing on the cake, the only 680i (I think) with flat IDE cables instead of rounded. Yep that Striker looks like the shiz at $100+ more than the others, joking of course.

But no one tells me how to spend my $ and I can't tell anyone else. I always say, self-educate, google and make choices that matter to your needs. Peace out.
November 30, 2006 10:46:27 PM

Just so you know, Talon, I'm just starting to get into reading forums concerning computer hardware and such and I'm spending way too much time on it now! 8O
November 30, 2006 11:06:17 PM

Quote:
Just so you know, Talon, I'm just starting to get into reading forums concerning computer hardware and such and I'm spending way too much time on it now! 8O

I've been doing the exact same thing. Unfortunately to an extreme I think in that I'm starting to suffer from 'paralysis by analysis'. I think had I received everything I ordered within a few days I'd be fine. If that was the case I'd have built the box and would be be happily tweaking and tuning it now. Instead I'm here still waiting for my processor to arrive (qx6700). I had a P5W deluxe at one point but I ended up RMA'n it when the 680i's came out. I've been trying to get my hands on a striker extreme (at a reasonable price (/rude newegg)). Now it looks like my striker extreme order may not happen until Dec 8th or later. . . so now I start wondering if I should just wait one extra week and do RD600 instead.

The problem I'm finding is that if I dig enough. I can find someone has a bad experience with just about every piece of gear I've currently bought. I just have to sit back and remember that the box I'm building will be so much faster than anything I currently use that soon all the worries will soon go away. ;) 
November 30, 2006 11:51:33 PM

You have to take other people's bad experiences with a grain of salt. On forums, probably 8 times out of 10 it's something they've done wrong, not an actual problem with the hardware. I'd be careful about jumping to get an RD600 when they're first released though, definately wait on some benchies first. The Abit 680i looks awfully sweet, I think I'm leaning towards it.
December 1, 2006 1:35:39 AM

Also remember, people are more inclined to post about a bad experience than a good one! So remember... for every ONE bad there are probably100's if not 1000's of good.

Any word on the Abit release or the price range??
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
December 1, 2006 2:51:29 PM

I agree with the above, it's funny how I never get the problems these guys do 8) .

Usually if you go on XS and so on, when they have problems, they're like I tinkered for 2h and found out that: .... , and they are super early adopters.

I don't think the bling on the Striker is worth 100$, I do like the array Microphone though, for skype and such.

Finaly I think the Abit will be the best 680i, too bad it's not coming out earlier!
December 1, 2006 3:01:58 PM

I agree....$100-$150 bucks more for the Striker?? Puleeze!! I'm not sure who is to blame though...the e-talers or ASUS. Newegg has changed (raised) the price so many times!! So have most of the other online stores. I think the stores are as much to blame if not more for the strker cost!

Still have not found anything saying when to expect the ABIT board to hit the market!! GGGRRRRRRRR
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
December 1, 2006 3:07:16 PM

Don't have a link but I heard it'll be available shortly in the UK and Mid january 2007 for North America.

Jan 2007 will be the motherboard month, apparently!
December 1, 2006 4:01:05 PM

Quote:
I agree....$100-$150 bucks more for the Striker?? Puleeze!! I'm not sure who is to blame though...the e-talers or ASUS. Newegg has changed (raised) the price so many times!! So have most of the other online stores. I think the stores are as much to blame if not more for the strker cost!

Still have not found anything saying when to expect the ABIT board to hit the market!! GGGRRRRRRRR

I don't really blame the online stores much, mainly the manufacturer. The stores just respond to demand. Newegg jacks its prices up in response to overwhelming demand without much supply. Asus just isn't releasing a whole lot of the strykers, they probably underestimated the demand. Yea, everything I've heard points to a Jan-07 release on the Abit, not too much longer now!
December 1, 2006 4:08:03 PM

Yeah... but I still blame the stores.... I have watched prices go up 5 times in one day on an item at newegg. Profit is one thing, greed and taking advantage of the people that made you what you are is another. I've seen more and more complaints about newegg as they've gotten bigger. People will just start using someone else who starts small giving good prices and good service.... until they get to big for the britches! LOL

It's the oil company greed on a smaller scale! LOL
December 1, 2006 5:37:19 PM

Nah, more and more people complain as they get bigger because more and more people are aware of them. They jack the prices up for a good, simple reason. If they didn't, they'd sell out faster, and those that are willing to take the price hit to have something immediately would go elsewhere. Say something costs 200, and person A wants it for 200 while person B is willing to pay 350 for the same thing. If newegg sold for 200, all the person A's in the world would snap them up quickly, leaving person B with 350 bucks and nothing to buy with it. So he'd take his business (and extra money) elsewhere. It seems greedy, but it's really not, they're just making sure they have as many things in stock as possible. They also drop prices very fast when more supply becomes available, unlike other, smaller places. It's a market economy brah!

*The only thing that ticks me off is that I didn't think to buy stock in them!*
December 6, 2006 5:37:09 AM

I'm looking at this board too. Can anyone tell me if the multiplier can be turned down?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
December 6, 2006 2:46:26 PM

I don't know which board you are talking about but I am pretty sure all 680i can lower the multiplier.

One of the only board that I know not allowing it is the Intel BadAxe board.
December 7, 2006 7:33:39 PM

Asus Striker got burnt on a review by [H].

Why? Terrible overclocking. Maybe future BIOS releases will fix this, otherwise, expect to top out at 400Mhz FSB. :( 

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTIzNCwx...

And now I've read in a few places that EVGA's board is hit and miss. (Great when it works, but some ppl are having some type of probs.)
!