Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading from A64 3200+ 939 to 775(not C2D).Is it worth it?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 28, 2006 7:19:30 PM

Hy ..

I am planning in changing my current configuration :

A64 3200+ Venice 939
ASRock 939Dual-Sata2
1GB (2x512) DDR Kingmax
1 x 160 gb SATA Seagate
1 x 160 gb ATA Seagate
Asus DvDWRITER
nVidia WinFast PX6600GT TDH
Creative SoundBlaster Live 24bit!
Leadtek TV2000 EXPERT

and get myself an Intel 775 CPU and in the near future a C2D.

My question is this : it is worth it?

I don't have the money to buy now the C2D+mainboard+1gb ddr2 and a new video card, so i am asking you guys to give me some pointers...

I was thinking to buy a 775 CPU that can be faster and better then my A64 2300+ 939 and a mainboard that will hold this 775 and the next C2D.

I could sell my cpu+mainboard+1 gb ddr and put some money from my piggybank and i could buy the mainboard+775 cpu+1 gb ddr2, but without the video card (i was thinking a 7600GT).

There will be some immediate changes for the better if i am buying a 775 cpu now or should i put my money aside and wait to buy dirrectly the C2D?

And what CPU would you recommend for this intermediary CPU?

Thanks in advance ... and sorry for the bad english ...
November 28, 2006 7:44:43 PM

I have the same mobo and CPU and I've thought about this, too. I think I'm just gonna get a new video card to help out my game playing (what else is a computer good for? :roll: )

Why not get a 7900 GS or similar card? Unless you want to do stuff a dual-core is good for? You can also oc that puppy a good 20% no problem. A good oc with a new card will help out a lot.
November 28, 2006 8:11:49 PM

music, movies, web surffing and let's say a game twice a week...
i don't have the time to play games like i did in college, damn job....

what did you mean by very serviceable?? i am not a native english speaker...
Related resources
November 28, 2006 8:16:01 PM

hmm... how is the performance of that motherboard? the Dual Sata 939 by asrock?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 28, 2006 8:20:33 PM

I agree with everyone, leaving AMD for anything else then a Core 2 Duo don't do you no good.

Unless you really need dual core, I would hold off, keep the money and wait a bit.

A conroe refresh will be available next year and should bring price down across the board.

I don't know what he meant by serviceable but I would think, good enough/descent/ no broken why fix it would be a good starter. Unless you really need something faster I say that this system is good for another 6month/1 year easy for what you do. Games will benefit from a faster video card, you could invest in a good vid card X1900 series and hold off for 6 month or so. But if you don't play games that much, that's probably not worth it.
November 28, 2006 8:24:41 PM

dude, you are aware that your motherboard has a "future upgrade" slot, right? this slot allows you to buy a card, that i saw for like $30 right when am2 came out, and KAZAAM! you have an am2 motherboard. true, its got ddr1. but you have a gig, so i mean its not like keeping that ram is a bad thing. if you can find the upgrade card, i'd go for that! i mean, they must still be on the market... i don't see why they wouldn't be.... and its a hell of a lot cheaper than a whole new motherboard!

i know this is true b/c i was going to build with this mobo a while back, like last year, b/c its ridiculously futureproof with agp AND pcie and technically 939 AND am2. so, if i were you, i'd get an am2 proc, a better vid card, and play for cheaper.

although doing that means that you won't be able to pop in a c2d later.... but perhaps you can pop in an am2+!
November 28, 2006 8:27:57 PM

I have the Asus A8N SLi Premium + Athon 64 3200+ (Venice) and I'm in the midst of making the plunge, myself to a Xeon 3060 or 3070 with the Gigabyte P965-DS3. This is not an economical decision. I think it depends on whether or not you need the performance gain. Need vs. want. Looking at the THG CPU charts, its a no-brainer, the 3200+ is not in the same solar system as the Conroe. If you start out on the basics now, good 965/975 mobo you'll have an easier time joining the Conroe club later.

From what I can see in my experience, even for casual use a good dual-core CPU has a lot of benefit over a single core CPU just for average enthusiast multi-tasking.

So yes, start moving towards towards a reasonable dual-core...and right now the Intels look good...even if you have to go with a lower-cost Pressler to fill that socket 775.
November 28, 2006 8:31:04 PM

NO
Why don't you simply upgrade your current CPU or overclock it like hell; it's much more aof a bargain.
November 28, 2006 8:31:20 PM

READ MY POST! GOOD OPTION!

true, c2d is the place to be now proc-wise. and true, the upgrade to am2 is just plugging a hole: it doesn't solve the problem. you WILL still have to buy new ram and a new mobo and proc if you wanna go to c2d... but isn't that always true? i think it just depends if you can get a good, low-priced deal off the upgrade card, and whether that upgrade will provide sufficient performance boostage.

-----------------------------

EDIT:
DAMN! check this out... i was wrong.... the upgrade card has ddr2 slots ON IT! OMG! thats so sweet! such a good deal! too bad i can't find it on newegg....

http://www.asrock.com/product/AM2CPU%20Board.htm
November 28, 2006 8:35:35 PM

Quote:
NO
Why don't you simply upgrade your current CPU or overclock it like hell; it's much more aof a bargain.

Even a nicely overclocked Venice 3200+ is not a Conroe. ...its still single-core and I'm seeing that dual-core really makes a difference in everyday use when multi-tasking. ...like editing a 1 hour audio-mix while participating in these forums. On my Venice right now, the audio gets choppy every time I click the 'Submit' button in these forums. ...that never happened even with my older Pent D 840. Dual Core. Conroe. ...or as close as you can get. ...but just for my edification when I purchase a Xeon 3060 or 3070 tomorrow I'm also going to purchase an Opteron 165 or 170 to replace the Venice 3200+. I'm thinking that the Opteron will still smooth out the rough edges that the 3200+ displays.
November 28, 2006 8:41:29 PM

LOOK WHAT I POSTED! ^ ^ ^

forgive me, i'm only being obnoxious b/c i'm being ignored

LOOKIE LOOKIE LOOKIE!
November 28, 2006 8:43:55 PM

the subject clearly states NON Core2Duo and at this point I would only thing of and OC or 939 dualcore because everything else (C2D aside) wouldn't justify all the money spent.
November 28, 2006 8:45:42 PM

Quote:
LOOK WHAT I POSTED! ^ ^ ^

forgive me, i'm only being obnoxious b/c i'm being ignored

LOOKIE LOOKIE LOOKIE!

That ASRock add-in looks intriguing...is that a molested AGP socket its on? Interesting.
November 28, 2006 8:47:37 PM

STILL BEING OBNOXIOUS!

STILL BEING IGNORED!
November 28, 2006 8:48:44 PM

Quote:
the subject clearly states NON Core2Duo and at this point I would only thing of and OC or 939 dualcore because everything else (C2D aside) wouldn't justify all the money spent.

Point always noted. I just wanted to stress to the OP that Conroe should be the goal for now...and getting closer to it by getting a S775 foundation is worth it IMO. ...but overclocking the existing CPU, if he is not already doing so, would give a boost in his single-core performance. Squeeze out what you can...you paid for it and the processor's been engineered for it.
November 28, 2006 8:50:44 PM

your audio gets choppy when you load a forum webpage? lol

thats awful

My single core Sandy can load multiple tab'd webpages while playing fruity-loops (music mixing station) on msn and photoshop open and my music doesn't screw up at all

either you need a good format, more memory a sound card or... or venice processors really do blow, but don't blame single core procs for your problems
November 28, 2006 8:54:48 PM

Quote:
That ASRock add-in looks intriguing...is that a molested AGP socket its on? Interesting.

sigh. thank you. yeah, i have no idea what kinda slot is, all i know is that its like the best idea ever. i totally didn't know that it had 4 ddr2 slots as well as a am2, also! jeeze, what an awesome gimmick, huh? thats so cool!

but... if it is a "molested agp" as you said.... will it reduce the performance of the am2 and ram? i wish it was a bigger product, with more benchies and such...
November 28, 2006 8:55:59 PM

When I'm editing audio the CPU has to not only play the audio but scroll the waveform, visually, I think that's where the Venice gets bogged down. My Pent D 840 could have a 2 hour ABF Miix open and scrolling and I could work in PhotoShop without any audio choppiness. However, the Venice 3200+ converts a WAV file to AAC faster than my Pent D 840. That was surprising to me.
November 28, 2006 8:56:59 PM

Why not try just a CPU upgrade?

Check E-Bay and see if you can find a used Opteron 170 and keep everything else.

Doh! Sorry, I see you already have that in the works. I expect you will be happy w/ that solution.
November 28, 2006 8:59:12 PM

Quote:
Why not try just a CPU upgrade?

Check E-Bay and see if you can find a used Opteron 170 and keep everything else.

That's what I'm doing...for the Venice. ...but its X-mas and I'm always on my list...so a new rig is in order. My sister will get one of my cast-offs and I'll be the family hero. :D 
November 28, 2006 9:01:01 PM

thats essentially what i was saying, before everyone started arguing about pentium d's vs. venices....

YEAH.
November 28, 2006 9:02:36 PM

Quote:
thats essentially what i was saying, before everyone started arguing about pentium d's vs. venices....

YEAH.

I wouldn't quite call it "arguing". LOL.
November 28, 2006 9:05:38 PM

Save up....get a new system....upgrading to socket 775 and using anything other than a Core 2 Duo makes absolutely no sense.

If you don't have the money, upgrade to a better socket 939, just know that the socket 939 is dead and Am2 has replaced it. So even if you make the upgrade...your strapped with that system and nowhere to go from there. (some people would consider that a waste of money)

Now...If you go for socket 775...you can get a core 2 duo now and then using the same mobo upgrade to a quad core later.

Saving up obviously is a much wiser choice.
November 28, 2006 9:09:07 PM

You're absolutely right. I've this problem with immediate gratification. I'll work on it...one day soon. Saving up for at least a E6300 would probably is probably a better choice than getting a lower end socket 775 that you'd have to pitch or give away...especially if funds are tight.
November 28, 2006 9:10:49 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't quite call it "arguing". LOL.

yeah, i know... lol... i'll quit being a dick now.... and stop being obnoxious...

Quote:
Save up....get a new system....upgrading to socket 775 and using anything other than a Core 2 Duo makes absolutely no sense.

If you don't have the money, upgrade to a better socket 939, just know that the socket 939 is dead and Am2 has replaced it. So even if you make the upgrade...your strappeg with that system and nowhere to go.

If you go for socket 775...you can get a core 2 duo now and then using the same mobo upgrade to a quad core later.

Saving up obviously is a much wiser choice.

yes, yes, very true. but is soc 775 such a bad idea if the OP goes for like a pressler/prescot/w/e dual core cheapish proc? like, take what you're thinking, with c2d -> c2q, and then take it down an economic notch: pentium d -> c2d. i don't think that would be all bad, either, but then again staying amd (soc 939 or am2) isn't bad itself.

are we in agreeance that a request for budget is appropriate?
November 28, 2006 9:18:11 PM

I'd say that budget is a consideration as well as time and what C2D he's aiming for. If he's wanting a 6800 then he might be waiting quite a bit longer than if a 6300 will do. If it's really want vs. need I'd recommend getting a low end S775 to hold me a few months. ...but if that sounds stupid to you than just wait and save for the EE6800 or C2Q. The Venice 3200+ is not a bad chip and mine is not even truly overclocked so it you just wait and save you might be happiest in the long run. If you're impatient and want something new, anything new ...S775...right now than you'll have to compromise and work within your means.

Waiting is good for some, but not for others...are you patient?
November 28, 2006 10:11:01 PM

Quote:

Point always noted. I just wanted to stress to the OP that Conroe should be the goal for now...and getting closer to it by getting a S775 foundation is worth it IMO. ...but overclocking the existing CPU, if he is not already doing so, would give a boost in his single-core performance. Squeeze out what you can...you paid for it and the processor's been engineered for it.
That's what I was tryin to say; a venice near 2.8 or 3.0G is still pretty decent performance and, most important, OCing costs nothing.
November 28, 2006 10:18:25 PM

You have to forgive me, I get tired and slow down towards the end of the day,
November 28, 2006 10:35:40 PM

i forgive you!!

...although its not my place to forgive and the grievance isn't even that big of a deal...

i am really interested in the outcome of this thread, b/c i live in a rural area, am a high school student with an assenine amount of homework, and no time for a job. i really REALLY want a job (/money), but i really REALLY can't seem to get it. so this thread will probably direct me to my next computer, on the cheap side..... unless someone can give me an amazing *legit* way to get money being under the legal working age.... heh.
November 28, 2006 10:50:40 PM

Well, I've considered E-bay and Kidney in the same sentence when considering a new rig.
November 28, 2006 11:02:13 PM

rofl :lol: 

sorry, i'm kinda attached to my kidneys, i guess i'll just play the waiting game as well....
November 28, 2006 11:07:02 PM

I would wait for the dust to settle when dx10 cards and vista premium systems are a little more mainstream. Then get a system that you know does a good job with dx10 games and vista premium with decent bench marks.

just my 2 cents
November 28, 2006 11:11:33 PM

Quote:
music, movies, web surffing and let's say a game twice a week...
i don't have the time to play games like i did in college, damn job....

what did you mean by very serviceable?? i am not a native english speaker...

to do whjat you are doing, I would say that the cpu is not even half fully loaded and idling most of the time. having a faster CPU wont make your movie to play faster, nor you will surf the web faster. your music wont play louder too.

So, it would be just a waste of money. Better get 2 gigs of ram and maybe a better video card. But upgrading the motherboard right now, and the cpu later is not a good idea. better upgrade the whole thing at once. thgis way, you won't be stuck with a motherboard that is not up to par with the latest ones with new feature when getting the CPU later.

Believe me.. I've got a single core venice 3200+, with the asrock. And it was not really slower than my current dual core to surf the web, watching movies and listening to music.

give yourself after Christmas before looking for an update if you've started doing video editing and encoding, or crunching some number.. If you are still doing the same thing, give yourself more time.. you'll get something better than anything available now
November 28, 2006 11:12:49 PM

I didn,t read the other poster here, si I can't tell what they had to say.

Is your 6600GT AGP or PCI? If it's PCIexpress you might be able to do something for not too much money. Get one MSI P965 chipset mobo for around 140$, then 1GB ( 2*512MB, 2GB would be better, but more expensive also) of DDR2-800 memory for 150$ and finally a C2D E6300 for around 200$. This brings you to a bit less than 500$, and probably better with some search. You'll have time latter to upgrade your VPU to a better one.

If you don't have this much, getting DDR2-533 wouldn't hurt performances too much, even if some will tell you otherwise. But don't go below the E6300, as it can surpass even the PD XE965 in some condition (really) and just about any other PentiumD, not to talk about P4.

If you're stuck with AGP like me, you'd better wait to get more money and get a new system, or see if you can add an A64X2 on socket 939 for a lower price upgrade and close performances. You'd only have to upgrade your CPU and nothing elses. Maybe you'd have some money left for an additional 1GB DDR memory.

Like they say, you can upgrade, but one day or the other you'll have to byte the bullet and get a new system. Do you think you've reach that day? Being on socket 754, and AGP slot for VPU, is a good sign that the answer is yes. Just like me on socket 478 (and AGP) if you see what I mean.

Let us know, I'm curious. :) 
November 28, 2006 11:16:13 PM

Quote:
hmm... how is the performance of that motherboard? the Dual Sata 939 by asrock?

I had one and it was a really nice one, I got a 3000+ OCed to 2.3 Ghz. It was fast, stable and cheap to buy.

I put a PCIe video card, an AGP one and a PCI one at the same time, for the possibility of 6 display.. that was nice.. but only 3 SATA header were not enough for me. I ran my X2 on it for a while, then got another one with more SATA headers.
November 28, 2006 11:37:48 PM

Quote:
.Do you think you've reach that day? Being on socket 754, and AGP slot for VPU, is a good sign that the answer is yes. Just like me on socket 478 (and AGP) if you see what I mean..

a friend of mine is still running a socket 754 3000+, and an ATI AIW9600XT and he's mostly surfing the web, watching movies and his GF is doing some office work. So, you are telling me it has to upgrade only because his computer is some years old. It don't matter even if it is fast enough to do all it need to do..
November 28, 2006 11:41:05 PM

Quote:
I put a PCIe video card, an AGP one and a PCI one at the same time, for the possibility of 6 display.. that was nice.. but only 3 SATA header were not enough for me. I ran my X2 on it for a while, then got another one with more SATA headers.

woah thats awesome. i didn't think you could run both slots at the same time... thats so cool! WOW. what an amazing chimera of a motherboard. well, i suppose i'll wait then... although i've been waiting since last year (!) when i was going to get a 3200+ and a 6800 agp and OWN lol. not enough money then, not enough money now... whaddya know.

my (got it free) soc 478 runs unbelievably well, compared to my good ole... k6 maybe? circa 1998 amd box of junk.... this comp has measly specs compared to the multi-billion dollar beauts some people have on here, but it blows me away, so all i'm saying is if and when i upgrade, it'll blow me away even more. in this aspect, waiting is your friend: the longer you go without new tech, the better it is when you get it. i can't imagine what a dual core machine with a gig of ram and a 6,7, OR 8 series card would be like, so needless to say anything i do in the near future will be well appreciated.
November 28, 2006 11:59:46 PM

3 options

1. Keep your existing setup and buy a socket 939 dual core CPU ~ yeah, its a bit slower than C2D but in real world tasks, its not that big of a deal. Its only the benchmarks that you'll notice the difference

2. Upgrade to C2D but keep your DDR modules through this motherboard.....Intel Chipset board: http://www.asrock.com/product/ConRoe865PE.htm. VIA Chipset board: http://www.asrock.com/product/775Dual-VSTA.htm
VIA gives you the options of both DDR/DDR2 and AGP/PCIex.
Stock performances on both are pretty good!!

3. Save up and buy a brand new C2D~CPU + motherboard + DDR2 module(s)
November 29, 2006 3:00:25 AM

For what you say you do you don't really need to upgrade. You should save ur money and buy a new system in the future. If you want to something faster now to hold you over until then you could buy an opteron 165 and overclock it. You can get it for about 175 shipped from newegg, overclock it possibly to about 3Ghz with a decent cooler. I just did this on an ASrock 939Dual VSTA for a friend a couple days ago. Your ram will still work as well as your video card as it seems as this board has an actual pcie x16 slot and not the proprietary one the older models had.

Really though, you should just save your money and buy a new system.

That's just my two cents.
November 29, 2006 5:35:33 AM

OMG .. i didn't think that my post would bring this kind of response...

First of all i want to thank all of you for your quick response...

Second, the upgrade card for AM2 i can't seem to find it in my home country (Romania - if you know where that is... :D  ) and would be just great if i could...

Third, i think that i will stay with my current config and change my video card to something like the 7600GT, and save up the money for the next year to buy a C2D when the prices will go down a little.

I would like to OC the CPU and maybe see how far will i go with the speeds. I have an Artic Freezer 64 cooler (i think !?) that keeps my CPU in idle at 38 Celcius.

As i said in the first post the work is keeping me very busy and i can't enjoy a game like i did before. I am now playing HOMM 5 Expansion, which i am playing at almost full details and i'm happy with the outcome.
November 29, 2006 5:48:46 AM

That may be the smartest thing to do. If you have a 3200+ you probably don't have an Artic Freezer 7 Pro, you more likely have an Artic Freezer 64 on that 3200+ ...just like I do. The memory I have right now isn't so good, timings are 3-4-4-8 and I can't even get to 2.2GHz, only to 2.17Ghz. It more than likely is that I don't know enough about OC'ing.
November 29, 2006 6:01:36 AM

Can you give me some advice in overclocking my a64? I would like to squeeze the life out of him untill i will get the C2D somewhere next year...
November 29, 2006 10:17:33 AM

From my experience I don't think I'm doing it quite right. I've only been able to get my A64 3200+ (Venice) to 2.17Ghz, but that might be because of the cheep Walmart-grade RAM (PNY with 3-4-4-8 ). I ordered some Corsair TwinX DDR 433 which I'm hoping will give me acceptable OC results. I'm actually going from 2GB cheap ram to 1GB decent ram in this process. ...but since this won't be a Vista box for a while I'm hoping the better ram is the wiser choice for now.
November 29, 2006 10:58:21 AM

I have 2x512 ddr 2.5-3-3-7 @ 200 FSB from Kingmax. How much do you think that i could go with these?
And maybe you could tell me some things that i should know before i can begin OC. And maybe with what to start?
November 29, 2006 2:32:13 PM

Quote:
I have 2x512 ddr 2.5-3-3-7 @ 200 FSB from Kingmax. How much do you think that i could go with these?
And maybe you could tell me some things that i should know before i can begin OC. And maybe with what to start?

I suggest that you post in the overclocking forum. there is people there that will help you.

As a start, I can suggest to select 166 as memory speed (to give more headroome for your memory that wont go really faster than 210 MHz), then increase the speed. setting the spped at 230Mhz will give you 2.3 GHz, while running the memory at 190 MHz(below the 200 rated speed). You may have to increase CPU voltage a bit for that.

you have to understand how divider and voltage affect it, and the OC forum is the best place to start
November 29, 2006 2:41:35 PM

thanks for the reply...

i will ask tomorow morning in the overclocking section, because tonight i just want to go home, take a shower, get something to eat, and hit the sack...
November 29, 2006 6:31:27 PM

Quote:
As a start, I can suggest to select 166 as memory speed (to give more headroome for your memory that wont go really faster than 210 MHz), then increase the speed. setting the spped at 230Mhz will give you 2.3 GHz, while running the memory at 190 MHz(below the 200 rated speed). You may have to increase CPU voltage a bit for that.

That works like a charm on my 939Dual-Sata2. I set my ram to 166, then up the proc to 240. Ram is then 200 and proc speed is then 2.4ghz. 20% oc no prob!!
December 1, 2006 2:08:15 PM

Quote:
.Do you think you've reach that day? Being on socket 754, and AGP slot for VPU, is a good sign that the answer is yes. Just like me on socket 478 (and AGP) if you see what I mean..

a friend of mine is still running a socket 754 3000+, and an ATI AIW9600XT and he's mostly surfing the web, watching movies and his GF is doing some office work. So, you are telling me it has to upgrade only because his computer is some years old. It don't matter even if it is fast enough to do all it need to do..

You didn't get it. Not at all I should say. He ask if he should get a mobo for C2D. At the end of my answer, I mentionned that only putting in an A64X2 might cost him much less for same performances if he is on socket 939. I then mentionned that sometime to upgrade you have to start from scratch. Having a socket 754 and AGP slot should tell that time has arrived... if you need to upgrade!!!!

Now, if his PC is powerful enough for what he does, he shouldn't have ask that question in the first place. I hope I made myself clear now. :wink:
!