New graphics card doesnt work because of an integrated one

jonnyheenan

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
While on holiday in amerca I experienced Black Friday (you americans are a little crazy) and got a really good deal on AMD 64 3700 with stuff for $400. I also bought an ATIRadeon 1950 pro and also a new power unit. I am a complete novice but was proud of myself being able to replace the power thingy. Now the problem is installing the graphics card. Reading up on this its meant to be easy but i think my problem is that i have an integred nvdia graphics thingy on the motherboard (Asus A8N-LA). I think I am meant to be able to turn this off and uninstall stuff But I dont know how to do this. Ive pluged in the card but I dont get a picture. Thankfully when i take it out again the it all works. I have tryed other stuff which messed things up for a bit. But then i dicovered the system recover butten which fixed that. If i just knew what i was doing i would be able to play my new game call of duty 2. I would be very grateful if anyone could help me.
thanks

AngelDeath82

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Okay, here's a short list of steps which should resolve this:

1. Uninstall your existing video card drivers
2. Shutdown computer
3. Unplug computer, install new card (including hooking up the PCIe power connector to it)
4. Re-plug in computer (leaving the monitor on the onboard video port)
5. Start computer, go into BIOS (mash the DEL key immediately after powering on)
6. Disable the onboard video, Save & Exit, the in about 5 seconds power off the computer again.
7. Connect the monitor cable to the X1950, power up the computer again
8. Get into Windows, and install the latest ATI Catalyst drivers