DaveGT

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Hi,

Just built my new system and everything seems fine apart from the memory.

System Specs:

E6400 @ Stock with Stock cooler
GA-965P-DS3 @F7 BIOS
GEIL 2X512MB PC2-6400 CAS3
Enermax Liberty 500w
X1950PRO

After the system was installed I have had a few application errors and wondered if the memory was ok so I ran Windows Diagnostic and Memtest86+ to check for problems and I found lots of errors.

I read up and found that this board has a standard mem voltage of 1.8v and high spec memory can have problems so I ran tests at different voltages, here are the results:

Geil Stick 1:
+0.1v = errors on the MATS+ test Windows Diagnostic
+0.2v = errors on the MATS+ test Windows Diagnostic
+0.3v = No errors on either Windows Diagnostic or memtest86+

Geil Stick 2:
+0.1v = No errors on either Windows Diagnostic or memtest86+
+0.2v = No errors on either Windows Diagnostic or memtest86+
+0.3v = Loads of Errors
+0.4v = Loads of Errors

I am not sure what else to try, played about with the timing but didn't seem to do anything.

Should I just return the sticks or is there anything else to try?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers, Dave

G

I think that Geil memory is rated at 2.1v-2.2v for 6400C3 operation, so +.3V seems right on par. You won't be able to run this mem at Cas3 timming and DDR800 with a simple 1.8v that's for sure.
The first stick seems to be acting normally, the second one I really dont know, probably worth a RMA!

I would still try to set the ram at DDR800(probably using dividers, dont think the stock cooler will get you to 3.6ghz.) with the exact timming on the sticker at the exact voltage specified(2.2).

BTW were did you get that ram and at what price? was looking at it...And the almost identical C4 stuff is probably similar with lower binning.

DaveGT

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Thanks for the reply

The sticker says Voltage 2.1v so it would definately suggest 0.3v is bang on. Timings are 4-4-4-12.

Was thinking of a RMA but dont think they would accept only 1 stick which means I would have to say bye bye to my good stick too :(

I tried an overclock - got the CPU to 3.2Ghz, memory at 800Mhz at 4-4-4-12 but was not happy with the cpu temperature so took it back to stock.

Need to get a better cooler but dont have the money right now.

I got the Geil for £88.00 ($160) as i am in the UK, I am sure you could get it a lot cheaper over there :p

G

Hehe,well it`s backorder and much more expensive now!

I would do a lot of test, log the result and email Geil before you RMA. But memtest error dont lie!

Good luck

TRENDING THREADS