mustangman311

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
Price. Any estimate what so ever about this aspect of it? Any guess as to how it will compare to the 8800?

I just built my first compy and I'm getting into PC gaming, but my 7300GS is lagging behind. :p And I definitely want to be able to play UT2007 on high, if not max. Any suggestions? Oh, and I've got a severely limited budget.

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
All r600 info on pricing that your going to hear is merely speculation.

"First of all, you need to know that this PCB (Printed Circuit Board) is the most expensive one that the graphics chip firm has ever ordered.

It's a complex 12-layer monster with certain manufacturing novelties used in order to support the requirements of the R600 chip, most notably the 512-bit memory controller and the distribution of power to the components"
Basically that says "This board is going to cost a lot"

If current rumors are true (just search the net for r600specs)....the r600 is looking to beat the 8800 series hands down with no competition until Nvidia releases a refresh.

And I definitely want to be able to play UT2007 on high, if not max. Any suggestions?
Conflicts with
Oh, and I've got a severely limited budget...
You can have one or the other....but not both.

You pay top dollar for max settings....or pay little for low/med settings, you decide.

mustangman311

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
All r600 info on pricing that your going to hear is merely speculation.

"First of all, you need to know that this PCB (Printed Circuit Board) is the most expensive one that the graphics chip firm has ever ordered.

It's a complex 12-layer monster with certain manufacturing novelties used in order to support the requirements of the R600 chip, most notably the 512-bit memory controller and the distribution of power to the components"
Basically that says "This board is going to cost a lot"

If current rumors are true (just search the net for r600specs)....the r600 is looking to beat the 8800 series hands down with no competition until Nvidia releases a refresh.

And I definitely want to be able to play UT2007 on high, if not max. Any suggestions?
Conflicts with
Oh, and I've got a severely limited budget...
You can have one or the other....but not both.

You pay top dollar for max settings....or pay little for low/med settings, you decide.
Well, let me ask you this: How much would this or the 8800 drop in price about a year after each VC's respective releases, and how long do you see either one being able to play newer games at respectable quality?

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
It may drop considerably, but it's going to be expensive, based on the tech, and the price drop will go hand in hand on the speed at which the world "embraces" vista and the DX10 culture.

Logically, one would think that reducing prices might actually sell more, but I'm of the opinion that because it will be a hyped transition with everyone wanting this tech and software, prices just might be too expensive initially.

Right now, you have to ask yourself what will you gain from Vista until Apr/May next year in terms of games? Starting out as you are, you are going to experience much more exposure to games in DX9, and by the time you are fed up with it, chances are good you'll be ready to go the DX10 route when prices have dropped, and games are popping up more often in the DX10 format.

That's my take.

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
I'm guessing it'll be better than 8800s.

Also, price should be similar to 8800s now. About $600 for top line, about $450-$500 in very high end end.

Low end cards will be about $100.

Also, 8800s won't get a significant price drop, even in like 6-12 months.

mustangman311

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
Okay, based on what I've seen in here so far, I think I'll wait until I really can't take it anymore, and aim for a low/mid market version of the R600, or the 8800. Thanks a lot, guys.