Sign in with
Your question

T1 router and Linksys router Setup

Last response: in Wireless Networking
April 5, 2006 9:46:56 PM

I currently have a Netopia T1 VPN router. I currently have several computers connected to this router via ethernet cables.

I also have a Linksys WRT55AG router plugged into one of the ports of the Netopia router. I have a few computers connected wirelessly to the Linksys WRT55 router.

My question is, would it be possible to create a network where the wireless computers can print and file share with the wired computers? How would I go about doing so?

I've already tried creating a network through XP's Network Setup Wizard on one of the wired computers. However, when I try to browse for a printer on the wireless computers, it cannot find the network I just created.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
April 6, 2006 8:55:28 PM

Is you printers a network type or connected to local PC's.

For network printers just add a printer and enter the IP address of the printer.

The setup is real similar if connected to PC. Just make sure the File AND Printer sharing is tuned ON. And the printer is setup for sharing.

In order to see the printer on a wireless it will be more difficult. If you know the IP of the wireless client it can work. It works best if all users have a static IP vs DHCP.
April 8, 2006 12:56:33 AM

The printers are connected to local computers. I made sure that the file and printer sharing is turned on. If I know the IPs or made all the users have a static IP, how would I go about sharing the files and printers?
Related resources
April 8, 2006 1:17:44 AM

It's been a while since I have done this. Others will correct me if I'm wrong.

File and printer sharing must be ON.
Make sure you set MS firewall to allow local subnets otherwise you may be spinning your wheels.

The add a network place utility allow you to search by IP address. Once you locate your computer either map the drive or create a shortcut on your desk top.

For the printers just use add a network or shared printer wizard, enter the IP address for the name. It should find it. Make sure all of the computer are in the same group.

As long as everyone is on the same subnet, it works with out to much trouble.
May 4, 2006 5:39:08 AM

Is this where I should be?

Control Panel -> Windows Firewall -> Exceptions -> File and Printer Sharing -> Edit -> Change Scope

Currently it's set to "my network (subnet) only"

Should I change it to "Custom List" and list all the IP addresses?
May 4, 2006 1:49:54 PM

Subnet only is what you want.

You can tighten it up with a custom list, doesn't hurt.

Does the linksys have a setting where it can act as a hub/switch?
if not connect through the lan port, not the wan.

Tying router together, you should have static ip's, NOT DHCP. Particurly since you are file and printer sharing.

I upgraded to a 8 port router instead of messing with the setup of 2. makes things easier.
!