Sign in with
Your question

Good 3GHz Pentium motherboard needed... any suggestions?

Last response: in Overclocking
November 28, 2006 10:44:22 PM

I am wanting to use existing PC3200 ram, but I also want to overclock this CPU, so the motherboard should be a good overclocker. PCI-e also needs to be there. SATA support, of course.

I am looking into this motherboard for a friend, and I have been an AMD lover for years, so I do not know what motherboard to suggest. He has had this setup for three years, I think, so I do not know how many different 3GHz Pentium CPUs there are or were back then. But I do know it was a good cpu for gaming. The motherboard that broke was one of the free ones that came free with the purchase of a 6800GT... no big loss, for I think it was an ESC.

Any suggestions...

Suggestions for a good heatsink to overclock this cpu with would be helpful as well.
December 3, 2006 6:38:04 PM

You have either a higher end Celeron from the time, a Pentium 4 Northwood (3.06Ghz, 533Mhz FSB, 512KB cache, socket 478) or a Pentium 4 Prescott (3.0Ghz, 800Mhz FSB, 1MB cache, socket 478).

If you have the Prescott, excellent, if you have the Northwood, good, if you have the Celeron...oh well.

About two months ago I received a free old Gateway PC with a 3.06Ghz Northwood, and I did some research on the best 478 motherboards. My final choice was a Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000, especially since I got a good deal on it. It supports the full range of possible processors I listed, supports SATA, and has some adequate (for the time) overclocking options.

The Abit AI7s were apparently pretty popular and are good boards, as well. It is comparable in options to the Gigabyte I bought.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2006 3:57:19 PM

And if you have a NorthWood C, 3.0ghz 800mhz FSB, 512k cache THE BEST =).

If you have a northwood C, stock is good enough!

For a motherboard I would suggest a board with the 865-875 chipset. Asus is the only one I can recommend, a bit to far in my memory to recommend other manufacturer and I owned a Asus P4P800DX, good board.
ANy P4C800 or P4P800 would do it!
Related resources
December 4, 2006 4:50:45 PM

Quote:
And if you have a NorthWood C, 3.0ghz 800mhz FSB, 512k cache THE BEST =).

If you have a northwood C, stock is good enough!

For a motherboard I would suggest a board with the 865-875 chipset. Asus is the only one I can recommend, a bit to far in my memory to recommend other manufacturer and I owned a Asus P4P800DX, good board.
ANy P4C800 or P4P800 would do it!

I dont think that P4P800 support PCI E
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2006 9:25:24 PM

I will say what I usually say after such a long weekend

Damn you alcohol, damn you!
Had to much at the Broncos game yesterday :oops: 

So yeah pretty much disregard what I said today =)
Thanks for pointing it out
December 4, 2006 10:53:53 PM

Wow! So there is no PCI-e support at all for this CPU? I suspect it is a Northwood with the 512 Cache.
!