Sign in with
Your question

Upcoming Thermal Compound Shootout

Last response: in Overclocking

Wich thermal compound would you like to be added in the review?

Total: 102 votes (2 blank votes)

• Coollaboraty Liquid Pro
  • 13 %
  • Zalman ZM-STG1
  • 28 %
  • Artic Silver Ceramique
  • 41 %
  • OCZ Ultra 5+
  • 5 %
  • Cooler Master High Performance HTK-002
  • 2 %
  • StarTech HEATGREASE10
  • 2 %
  • FrozenCPU Copper Thermal Compound
  • 7 %
  • Thermalright Chill Factor
  • 3 %
November 29, 2006 12:39:04 AM

DaClan is planning the Ultimate Thermal Compound Shootout. For this we will test several types of pastes, from silicon to silver, from copper to ceramique.
But of course, we wanted the feedback the TGForumz community. So vote for the one you would be the most interested in seeing in the review, DaClan will pick among the ones with the most votes. We will try to maintain diversity among the compounds' base materials to make the review more interesting.
Artic Silver 5 has been automatically added to the shootout. This is due to its incomparable popularity and to make to results of this poll less biased.

The shootout will be realized under the following conditions:
-Core2Duo processor.
-Stock Intel HSF.
-Stock vCORE.
-Closed case and 70F ambient temperature.
-Standard, drop in the center, application method*
-100 hours of cure period with extreme thermal cycles*
*Unless suggested otherwise by the manufacturer.

Click below to see each the manufacturer specs for each thermal compound:
Coollaboraty Liquid Pro
Zalman ZM-STG1
Artic Silver Ceramique
OCZ Ultra 5+
Cooler Master High Performance HTK-002
StarTech HEATGREASE10
FrozenCPU Copper Thermal Compound
Thermalright Chill Factor
(You can find the manufacturer specs at www.Thermalright.com)

On behalf of DaClan, I truly appreciate your opinions and votes 8)

More about : upcoming thermal compound shootout

November 29, 2006 12:48:08 AM

Please be sure to read about each paste before placing your votes.

We understand that many of you are already a fan of one or two of the pastes in the list, so be sure to read from the list before making your final decision.

We have already cancelled out many of the leading thermal compounds only to bring forward what we think are the most promising pastes so please do not attempt to bring forward any more choices that you personally feel that we have missed.

Best of luck, and keep checking back at DaClan blog for the most interesting product reviews as well as our babes of the week.

~3lfk1ng
November 29, 2006 4:21:11 AM

It'd be great if you guys can do a review on:

Cooler Master NanoFusion Supreme Thermal Compound (R9-GE7-PTK3)

I currently have those, wanna see how they do compared to what you guys are doing.
Related resources
November 29, 2006 6:16:03 AM

Quote:
It'd be great if you guys can do a review on:

Cooler Master NanoFusion Supreme Thermal Compound (R9-GE7-PTK3)

I currently have those, wanna see how they do compared to what you guys are doing.

WiZ83 please read everything carefully before posting next time...it clearly says:
We have already cancelled out many of the leading thermal compounds only to bring forward what we think are the most promising pastes so please do not attempt to bring forward any more choices that you personally feel that we have missed.

Thank you for your concern and attempted contribution.

Please note that we, DaClan, only plan on reviewing ~5 different pastes (including AS5) as each paste will undergo rigorous testing for upwards of 100+ hours. The Five pastes are chosen by you, the reader, so please make your decision wisely.

~3lfk1ng
November 29, 2006 6:56:34 AM

I am using the Coollaboratory product with amazing results, but would very much like to see how it stacks up to Arctic silver. As a different concept to the other products, I really hope you guys will test it.

EDIT : I'd also suggest that you use a hotter running processor or at least overclock the C2D to better represent those who would be interested in the different heat transferring properties of the different pastes. By doing that you should also have a bigger variance in performances.
November 29, 2006 7:35:05 AM

Nice, I really wanna see some test between this Collaboratory Liquid Pro and AS5.
November 29, 2006 9:33:43 AM

My question is what will work better, the silicon grease or the silver goop. That being said. We've got our work cut out for us.
November 29, 2006 10:04:06 AM

Quote:
EDIT : I'd also suggest that you use a hotter running processor or at least overclock the C2D to better represent those who would be interested in the different heat transferring properties of the different pastes. By doing that you should also have a bigger variance in performances.

When you OC, you add a mix of variables to the test that are difficult if not impossible to control. Performing everything on a widely used platform instead of say the X6800 and at a stock voltage and speed will give a more uniform expression of the total cooling capacity of each thermal interface material.
In other words, its for simplicity's sake. =P
November 29, 2006 11:34:53 AM

Quote:

This had been thought of previously, but because of the reasons Ninja listed it was ruled out.
But we are thinking of solutions to control every possible variant at the time :D 
Dont doubt that OCing will be included in the review if we manage to truly figure every variant out.
November 29, 2006 1:17:24 PM

Meh, seen better babes =P

Hmmmm, I'm fairly certain the stock Intel HSF isin't alumminum, because otherwise the Liquid pro will have some... interesting affects, especially because of it's chemical mixture which includes Gallium. I did a lot of research on that a while back and there was a whole slew of wide results out, so I want to see how it really pans out.

Arctic Ceramique and AS5 have long been a debated topic, I think the general consensus between them is that they are fairly equal, but I guess this should help put those claims to rest. What exactly do you mean by extreme thermal cycles? Like Off, then Load, Then shut-down for an hour and again? Or just idle/load?

One more thing, might this be done on a test bench? I know having it in a case will simulate real world conditions more, but I can't think of any reason why getting results on a test bench wouldn't be easier for ya'll. Just looking out for the team =)

P.S. If possible, can you find an alumminum case and pour the Liquid Pro on it, I want to see if it will melt it...

Edit: More specifically, this thread:

http://www.nokytech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=72471
November 29, 2006 1:24:41 PM

Aluminum base, hollow copper core. And if you've got a babe suggestion, by all means let us know. Or are you too scared that your babes are wackidy wack? =P
November 29, 2006 1:36:56 PM

Ooooooo... alumminum base, that will be great with the Liquid Pro, can't wait to see that eat through the metal =)

Really, that stuff is pretty cool, just take care with it. Also, it's a syringe, so please don't accidently inject yourselves... don't want to see Wolverine wannabe's running around =P

Babe suggestions...

What are we looking at right now? I kinda see AS5, AS Ceramique, and the Liquid Pro being in the test, what else do ya'll see?
November 29, 2006 1:50:14 PM

Its not my test. This time, Dario's running the show. Its up to him and the votes.
Nice chick. Lacking in the booty section though. Heres this Weeks Babe:

Booyashaka.
November 29, 2006 1:53:41 PM

Eh, thats what you get when you go for asian girls. If you want one with... decent ones...

Okay, we should stop the posting here otherwise Dario will kill us... for threadjacking again... which always seems to happen, don't know why...

Dario, RD600 comes out on Dec. 15th if you haven't heard yet. You excited yet?
November 29, 2006 3:04:50 PM

Just curious...

If you want real world comparison, why use a a "Perfectly lapped stock Intel HSF"? Do most people (especially those using the stock HSF) generally go this far? Since the purpose of the compound is to improve the contact between the less than perfect surfaces, wouldn't it be a better test if you skipped the lapping? Just my opinion...
November 29, 2006 3:21:47 PM

I'm not sure about the lapped heatsinks either but we're using the stock heatsink because that can supply us with the most realistic data of what the TIM does and not the heatsink. Variance. Its all about variance.
November 29, 2006 3:48:42 PM

I don't suppose you guys could get your hands on some grafoil? I've got a little bit and was wondering how it would stack up against thermal compound. According to a website I went to, grafoil has good thermal transfer capabilities but I'm not sure it would be useful in a CPU application.

Thanks!
November 29, 2006 3:51:55 PM

I think using the stock HSF is great, just the idea of lapping it seems to go against the "real-world application" idea... Thanks.
November 29, 2006 3:52:53 PM

Oy. We're testing commonly used CPU TIM's. You want to use a carbon based sealant on something that hits 50C in .2 seconds? I'd love to see it but not on my babies.
November 29, 2006 5:03:34 PM

Eh, lapping might give you more consistent results, but maybe not real-worldish... since some compounds are designed to help minimize problems from non-flat surfaces...

Shrug... either way is fine for me, results are results.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
November 29, 2006 5:19:43 PM

Yeah plus according to many, ceramic will have a better chance on lapped...
Ummm
November 29, 2006 5:22:54 PM

Either way.. vote and comment. This is the first DaClan review with user input.
November 29, 2006 6:20:40 PM

Any plans to include the stock paste that comes with the HSF. It would be nice to see if ANY of the aftermarket solutions are really that much better.

(Hope that's not to close to breaking the rules)
November 29, 2006 6:58:16 PM

Quote:
Any plans to include the stock paste that comes with the HSF. It would be nice to see if ANY of the aftermarket solutions are really that much better.

(Hope that's not to close to breaking the rules)

So far no plans have been made to include the stock paste only because the Thermal Conductivity on the stock paste is pretty weak. We are only selecting the best of the best for the lineup.

@Doughbuy
Quote:
Dario, RD600 comes out on Dec. 15th if you haven't heard yet. You excited yet?

Got a link? if thats true, Im excited! :D 

EDIT: NVM, found it
November 29, 2006 7:18:30 PM

We could include it as a control. Every experiment needs a control.
November 29, 2006 7:32:11 PM

Lapping might not be the most real world condition, but we want to achieve is best performance and lapping on its own can boost you a tops of 12c at load (rare cases) and 4~5c on regular conditions. This is why, in our search for ultimate lower temps, we have decided to mirror lap the HSF.
I would lap the CPU too but lapping a 'new' C2D doesnt seem to be something Ninja will be up to...

@Doughbuy:
Quote:
What exactly do you mean by extreme thermal cycles? Like Off, then Load, Then shut-down for an hour and again?

The plan is: Prime95 load for several hours -> shut down for about an hour -> repeat.

@DaSickNinja
Since it doesnt need any 'curing period' it would be fairly easy.
November 29, 2006 7:47:28 PM

Quote:
lapping a 'new' C2D doesnt seem to be something Ninja will be up to...

First off, go to hell.

Secondly,
Quote:
Since it doesnt need any 'curing period' it would be fairly easy.

Makes good sense. You want me to compile a table and graph for this once we start testing? By the way, you're the one writing the review right?
November 29, 2006 8:12:33 PM

3 whinges...

1. Please define 'perfectly lapped' to someone that has access to an electron microscope... (I'd suggest to leave it out, real world comparisons are better.)

2. No peanut butter. Would it actually last 100 hrs?

3. No man-paste. I'd make bets on this one NOT lasting 100 hrs....

OK, I'll go back to lurking...
November 29, 2006 8:13:00 PM

Quote:
First off, go to hell.

Exactly my point. But I wouldnt even do it myself without the warranty nearing to end. Ill practice on this P4 tough 8)

Quote:
By the way, you're the one writing the review right?

So you the tester so I wouldnt be fair for me to take all the credit.
A joint review shall this be :D 
November 29, 2006 8:14:43 PM

More like a three way review. Every DaClan member participates in a way.
November 29, 2006 8:14:44 PM

Quote:
3. No man-paste

You are ruining the 'surprise' we have for you guys.
SHH!!! :wink:
November 29, 2006 8:16:12 PM

Sure, we'll state how everyone has participated so we can answer individual questions more effectively.
November 29, 2006 8:16:37 PM

What a surprise it'll be. *Shivers*
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
November 29, 2006 9:04:46 PM

ummmmm...

ohhhhh?

ahhhhhhhhhh!

Yup that's my reaction.

Could you try some Lube, no curring, contains silicon, strawberry would smell good.
November 29, 2006 10:51:30 PM

Uhhh... yeaaaah.....

GENERAL NOTICE

Anyways, with regards to the tests, after much deliberation between DaClan's members, and looking over facts and possible variances, we've decided not to do any lapping. The amount of variables that can arise from doing such, would put effective (and might I mention accurate) tests out of our control. Also, since only a small portion of the overclocking crowd laps their heatsinks, this makes doing such quite unfeasible for tests. So with all that in mind we've made this decision in good faith and sound mind.
So please, read this, and don't bother us about it. *sneeze*
Thanks for all and any help, and please continue to vote for the final five.
From my crew to yours,
Juan
DaClan Senior Member and Founder

Reviewed and Copied to:
Drew - 3lfKing

Dario - rawritsdario

PS: No, "We told you so" replies, okay? :) 
November 29, 2006 11:35:31 PM

We also thought of many other variables we could eliminate in order to reduce any possible fluctiations in our test results. Anything that could possibly alter the state of the testbed during the test phase(s) has been thoroughly delt with by DaClan.

Expect DaClan to offer many more pictures than other review websites in order to make you, the reader, feel confident that our tests are 100% spot on and that there are absolutely no discripencies in our testing methods. Each picture will be labled in detail so that you know what is going on throughout the testing procedure.

Every test will be setup the exact same and each procedure will be clearly labled during each step of the testing cycle. In the end our results will give you a clear and decisive winner.

We DaClan would like to thank all of our contributors and readers for all your thoughts, feelings, and input. Please check back often for the latest on our interesting product reviews.

~3lfk1ng
November 30, 2006 12:01:38 AM

hey guys can i be part of the clan. huh, can i, can i, :lol: 
November 30, 2006 12:22:23 AM

no you guys go ahead.

ill keep reading and give any usefull (hopefully) advise that i can. 8)

edit; hey why not throw in the basic white paste?
just for $hits and giggles.
November 30, 2006 12:24:18 AM

Impress any of the members with your expertise and you will be seriously considered.
November 30, 2006 12:27:49 AM

Quote:
Impress any of the members with your expertise and you will be seriously considered.

i really only try to help with a question that i think can answer.
and to learn from everyone else.

kudos (is that how the young ones say it) to you guys
for this shoot out thing also like ninjas vista thing too.

keep goin and ill keep reading and help in any way i can.

8)
November 30, 2006 12:28:07 AM

Quote:

On this note, could you guys possibly use toothpaste? I bet it rocks.
November 30, 2006 12:32:25 AM

I've got an idea, I'll supercede all the formalities and make you a member if you do that test.
November 30, 2006 12:40:54 AM

Youve got my vote too, if you do that test of course.
November 30, 2006 12:48:12 AM

Quote:
Its not my test. This time, Dario's running the show. Its up to him and the votes.
Nice chick. Lacking in the booty section though. Heres this Weeks Babe:

Booyashaka.

Her butt is gross. Waay too many donuts.
November 30, 2006 12:54:12 AM

....What? That booty is worth a 10 out of 10.
November 30, 2006 1:16:25 AM

Quote:
I've got an idea, I'll supercede all the formalities and make you a member if you do that test.

Hahaha, don't push me...I've got an old PD 805 lying right here, and a 2.8 prescott somewhere in the closet. Go ahead and vote:

1. Crest Total Care Plus Whitening
2. Colgate Total w/Triclosan
3. Tom's of Maine for Sensitive Teeth
4. Closeup Cinnamon
5. Listerine Essential Care
6. Arm & Hammer with Baking Soda
November 30, 2006 1:20:11 AM

That's no booty. THIS is a booty:

*RAWR*
November 30, 2006 1:28:13 AM

Quote:
Eh, thats what you get when you go for asian girls. If you want one with... decent ones...

Humm, the sign behind the girl says "Golden Globes". Yes, I think that describes them.

Now to get to installing the FX60 that I just got and see what happens. Doubt its going to get any Golden Globes to my place, though.
November 30, 2006 3:34:59 AM

Make a shootout like ours = immediate member.
!