Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
Where can I find these types of HS/F? I've looked around and couldn't find any coolers that were made for LGA 771 other than the Intel boxed ones.

I'm wondering if the heat sink pin layout for 771 is the same as the S604? They look basically the same, but I don't want to be the one to test this theory. Also, is there an adapter for LGA 775 heat sinks so that they can be mounted on LGA 771?

If anyone has experience with this, or know where I can find these heat sinks, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
I've tried google searches, but for some reason I never tried those words exactly. :oops:

Seems too bad that there are almost no aftermarket coolers for the new Xeons.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
We're running opteron based servers at work, so I don't know exactly, but I'd suppose there are 4 holes in the motherboard just like on most other boards, to which the cooler is attached? If so, I suppose it would be possible to cut your own bracket from some sheetmetal and use it with a zalman 9700 or whatever cooler you fancy?
Custom doesn't mean bad by definition, only if rushed.

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
For some reason, I feel more incline to going with Liquid cooling now, I was originally planning it for a C2D setup, but now that I'm going with the Xeons I was thinking of scrapping that plan and going a with a simple heatsink, but if I'm into the trouble of making my own mounting bracket, might as well go into Liquid cooling and have some more fun with it.

I've checked out the pin layout for S604 and LGA771 and as far as I can tell, they are identical, can someone confirm this?

On the side tho, if I end up going with liquid cooling, I was planning on having 2 or 3 rads, 1 or 2 single 120mm rad(s) and one double 120mm rad. pump would be DD D5(or the Swiftech one, exact same pump). As for the processor WB, I would be getting Swiftech Apogee and most likely a DD Maze 5 or 4 for the graphics card. Does this seem sufficient? This would be a 1/2" Tubbing system.

Sorry for the long post, but thanks for the replies so far.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I know nothing about water cooling, so can't answer your questions. But I can ask more :)
I was wondering if you were going with the 'old' xeon (pentium d) or waiting for the new core duo based?