LiteOn SHM-165H6S Burning Coasters! Newb at burning.

sincraft

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
Ok, been in computers for almost 26 years.
Had one of the first cd burners which I paid big money for.
Was out of burning for the longest time and jumped in last summer by buying a dvd burner , LiteOn SHM-165H6S.

I noticed that there are several media types available. I read a bit about it but noone can agree or really fully recognize the differences. Possibly a link describing the dif may help me.

I'm having BIG issues burning to dvds for data.

I burned too many coasters using Memorex dvd-r's so I purchased dvd-rw (maxells) in hopes that this would alleviate things.

If I get an issue or do things too quickly, my system fudges and I have to reboot otherwise it wont recognize my media.

I finally put a disk in that it likes, and for some reason only wants to burn at 2x. I REALLY hate burning disks other than for necessity but lately have been interested in burning movies and data more often.

Am I doing something wrong? Is my drive possibly bad?

I'm pretty tech savy with, well everything to some degree but when it comes to burners, I'm pretty clueless I suppose.

I'm using Nero's latest and greatest, I just updated the firmware on my burner, and it's taking me 30 mins to burn 3 gigs.

Any suggestions or leads as to where I can go to do some reading on burning different forms of data/video on different media types regarding this particuliar drive?

Btw - liteon's website is useless. They have I believe a t1 connection sharing over 1000 connections. VERY slow and often times out.

Thanks guys.

bacis

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
hi.
first u did not tell us your system.
slower systems can not handle the big amount of data during burning.
2 be sure at you burning soft u have selected maximun speed.
3 use quality media ex.verbatim taiyo yuden.
4 use dvd-indentifier to see the supported speeds on your media,by this drive
http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/
personally i do not think that is any diffence when writen data dvd or video dvd on the speed,
the difference is on how the structure of disc is created.

TPLAT

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
My honest opinion is that Memorex sucks, Maxell are pretty good if there made in Japan if there made in Taiwan I wouldnt wast my money on them. Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim are both good media, check and see if your burner has the latest firmware update, the latest version is MSOP.
As for RW media I only buy Verbatim +RW, I tried both Sony and Maxell +RW media and I though it sucked, the burn reliability was pathetic compared to Verbatim. How much ram do you have? Also sometimes turning off or disabling any screensaver, virus-scan, firewall and or internet security program prio to using any back up software may help, also I would go into your dvd burners properties and try disabling cd recording and if you have a DLA tab disable DLA.

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=2176

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I put three of those drives into computers for friends this summer, and all worked fine. Even if your media says 16x, try slowing it down to 8x or so... this has helped some people out. You might also try an older version of Nero. Check out thre forums at Doom9 as well.