hey question about transfering

brick88

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
hey guys i have a lot of old home videos on vhs. knowing that the vhs will eventually lose all quality i was wondering how i could somehow get it off them and put them into a hard drive. i was thinking of getting a video tuner and this was my plan. can get convoluted. i was going to use a vcr to play the tape on the tv and then use a vid tuner to rip it onto my computer. ne one think it'll work and which vid tuner should i get that will get the job done.

duthoy

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
every tv-tuner should do, a PVR would be better to capture,
make sure the card has a composit or S-video in on it (not only coax cable)
my dad has recently put my old HI8 movies on DVD, but he went to the local photo shop and they did it for hem! very weird to see your own birth 8O

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
yeah i have done this before using a very basic tv tuner. the most complex part was sorting out the compression rates for the DVD if you use Vcd video compression with 48KHz audio (compressed into mp3)
you can use a program like the Tmpeg range to convert and author your dvd you will get a lot of video on to one dvd

duthoy

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
I had already seen the birth, before even i've seen the movie, i was there when i was born, remember?

but back to topic, if you capture the videos, keep them chapterized!
and use good DVD - media to burn it on, or you will lose the movies in the long term.
have fun

duthoy

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
i think you need something a little better, for good recordings,
this one is ok for watching TV-channels; but not so good for capturing,
if the videos are in good shape, you will lose quality with this card.

maybe search for a pinnacle? they make decent cards

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
I know you said it's just "home movies", but you need to be aware that if you're intending to copy your old pre-recorded VHS movies from your VCR you may have Macrovision issues - you will most likely require another piece of hardware or software to deal with them!

brick88

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
what would you guys recommend. my price range is around 50 dollars give or take 10 dollars. i kinda want a pci solution so it can be internal.

mbonwick

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2006
Firstly, sorry about posting in an older thread.
I too would like some advice on which capture card to purchase.
However, I would like it to preferably be USB, as I will probably be using it on my new laptop.
Thanks for the help,