AMD Quad FX Vs Core 2 Extreme QX 6700 Benchmarks

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
If these benchmarks are true, than 4x4 really really sux compared to Core2 Quad!
In 95% the 2.67GHz Core 2 Quad is faster than 3GHz 2xAthlon64 FX-74 .

ADM-86

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
Interesting.....I was actually looking foward to buying an amd next...coz of all the fanboys it has......but amd is going down hill.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
All I needed to see. The QX6700 owns in gaming. And where the FX does win, its marginal. Combine that with drop in vs new system....

The win (marginal as it is) occurs when it becomes GPU limited, probably due to slightly better overall interconnect scheme, less than a percent or 2.

What is just jaw dropping is the difference in power:
http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2006/1129/graph16.htm

@ Parrot -- again, nice find. I knew that there had to be some place that would leak a rouge bench or something.

This feels exactly like Pentium D 965 vs FX-60 Benchmarking back about 9 Months ago.
Only that the FX-74 has been dropped into the Pent D 965 place and the Qx6700 had taken the FX-60 spot.
HOLY FCUX That kind of power consumption would take a 800W Power supply At Minimum. 1KW (recommended)

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
2 Ninja's, unless the mobo is made from adamantium, two ninja's will probably snap that thing in half... or how about 2 Titan Amanda's...

Yeah, the Kentsfield OC's very nicely, but it would push off a ton of heat... 150W I suppose? That will challenge even some water-cooling set-ups out there.

By the time second get 4x4 gets around, then native quad-cores should be out by Intel, and maybe AMD, so then we can see an apple to apple comparison. I'll leave 4x4 as a 2 quad-core solution for enthusiasts, which I probably won't talk because of the prohibitive price...

Wonder if Intel will make any dual 775 socket mobo's...

Wombat2

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
Yep --- good point, at 600 watts for cinebench 800 watt is a bare minimum -- not to mention the two Ninja's you will need to cool, I would almost recommend water cooling as the case temperature will be hard to manage. It will take a quality case with ample air flow that is certain.

I wonder if there will be any chance for overclocking??

We already know that Kentsfield can clock up to 3.2 GHz fairly easily (reported at various sites) --- I wonder what a 3.2 GHz Kentsfield power consumption is?

I was thinking the first round of 4x4 would land with a loud thud -- it may be worth simply holding off until K8L/Quads come along before looking into dual socket.

The real problem here for AMD is overclocking:
C2Q will do 3.6 to 4 GHZ i.e. 50+% OC
4x4 will do 10% at best*

*Ive owned a dual proc Opteron system for a year effectively identical to the 4x4 (4x4 is just a re-badge of AMDs dual Opteron rigs) and I have plently of dual proc K8 arch OC experiance with it.

The K8 arch is old and has pretty much reached its clock ceiling. (Even K8L clocks will debut below 3 GHz)

Jack, twin 8800GTX's, would require you having access to a small fusion reactor. If the power consumption necessitated a 850W PSU, then using the power hungry 8800 series would not only require a 1kW PSU but possibly a secondary PSU. Theres a reason they probably didn't test it with one.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Another thing, is there a big difference OC'ing 2 procs on one board? I never tried it, much less heard about it, so anyone with experience on this matter shed some light? I assume what you do with one proc the other one goes with it? I.E. you can't OC one proc 5% faster than the other? Or does the speeds not have to be the same?

Wombat2

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
Man a 1kW+ PS is going to cost you beeeg bucks 8O

Still ... its aimed at l33t gamers who think a $300 killerNIC is a good deal :roll:

A $300 card that'll net you as much performance gain as OCing your CPU 1MHz. Uber-l33t for sure.
A $2500 and up system that'll net you marginal gains over either a Core 2 Duo or a Quadro.
High end for sure, but I'm disappointed. *sniff*

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Man a 1kW+ PS is going to cost you beeeg bucks 8O

Still ... its aimed at l33t gamers who think a $300 killerNIC is a good deal :roll:

OMG, i saw the website for this card, or something similar the other day. It was hard to tell if it was a joke or not. I guess retards will buy it though.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
It seems more and more likely that AMD will put less time and effort into the enthusiast market and concentrate more on servers and maybe consumers... which I believe would be a decent buisness move for them. They have already been making in-roads into the server space and a lot of their initiatives that they have been pushing have also been targeting said space.

Guess we'll see after 4x4 really launches..

Man, I thought Quad FX was going to be closer to QX6700. Even AMD's dual socket 1 kilowatt vaporware can't beat Intel.

If other sites publish benchmarks confirming these AMD is going to throw in the towel for Quad FX.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Eh, throwing in the towel would be bad for AMD, they might try to use lots and lots of spin (and might be as succesful as Watergate, but they can still try to spin it)... Either way, companies usually never say they're wrong. But we'll have to see...

And the Killer NIC card.. ugh...