Xazax310

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
So after hearing so much about Western's "raptor" and how fast it is i was looking into getting one. hearing that windows will boot in 8 seconds with one just astounds me. I'm heavy gamer play alot of BF 2, MTW2, COH, CS:S, and other games hence i why i was looking into one because it will load games faster, but looking at 160$ for 74GB seeing as how now many games today, take for instance, MTW2, that alone uses 11GB while many others like BF 2 use 5GB, im just wondering if its going to be worth buying 74GB if i cant even fit many games at all on it. the 150GB one costs way too much for me for just an HDD. I do put some music not alot, and save documents, so if i go out and buy one is it really for me? will i end up buying one then run out of space?

Opinions? idea's? thanks for any help.

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
raptors are simply not balanced price/performance/capacity drives... yes, they do have the fastest seek times, about half of any other 7200RPM drive, (8ms compared to 16ms) but actual STR are pretty similar on average otherwise, compared to other top consumer drives

your best bet, for price/performance/capacity (since price and capacity are both main concerns it seems), is to go for a Seagate 320GB 7200.10 PMR HDD for about $100... it about performs on par with a 74GB 10k raptor, which is also about $150