RTK07

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2006
Hooked up a monitor and blew the OS system out. Why?

Last night, hooked up a brand new monitor and turned the pc back on - only to find that the system 32 file was corrupt (?) and needed to repair the file (?). Basically, I am in the process of complete OS install. This sucks.

This system was rebuilt two months ago:

x2 4800
Asus 8n vm mobo
2 hard drives
9800 gt
audigy 2 zs
floppy drive
Wave Master case
Samsung 22 monitor

Rich

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
If the file that XP calimed was missing or corrupted was "NTLDR" then I believe it is actually possible to repair this problem without re-installing windows.

Also I agree with TechnologyCoordinator in that it is most likely a disk issue, it could also be a power supply or RAM problem. Both can cause corruption and lead to very odd things happening, but usually there are signs before this happens.

RTK07

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2006
NTLDR never saw this file mentioned. Power supply Coolmax 700 watt 2g ram No previous corruption of file, nor have I had any problems the past few weeks.

What kind of disk issue could it be? Are we talking about a possible hard drive replacement (2 years old). Thanks for the thoughts.

Most of you folks on this forum go way past me with geekiness! I am just trying to get some understanding in all this. If I haven't got the right "language", bear with me.

You could try the following if you have a second computer:

1. Remove the hard disk
2. Connect hard disk to second computer
3. BACK UP FILES
4. Run a full checkdisk with all the options

That may identify bad sectors and possibly repair them.

I'm doing a clean install of Windows XP Home tomorrow in celebration of my Opteron 175 being delivered.

RTK07

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2006
About a month ago, when I got the pc back from the shop...to make it short and sweet ...hooked everything up and, yep, same message about the system files being corrupted.... The tech at the shop thought I was into the bios settings (I swear I was not). I am wondering if after rebuilding this pc with dual core....and using my old memory (previously athlon 3800 single core) - if this could be part of the problem.

I had to underclock my cheap off-brand DDR400 down to DDR333 because of issues with RAM. Try underclocking your system or you can also try taking out RAM sticks and testing them independantly. For example:

Let's say your computer has 2 stick of RAM, take out stick 2 and try using just stick 1.

Then take out stick 1 and just use stick 2.

See if you still get there error in both scenarios.

RTK07

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2006
If this pc does it again, I will try pulling memory...or possibly do a forum survey on

A) whether I should put it the pc in the dumpster
B) get a new one
C)Scream some really bad profanities
D)Have patience with it and pray that the Lord will forgive me for my profanity (see C).
E) Sell it on EBAY

Rich

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
If I were you I would get the .iso for memtest86 and burn it on to CD, when I had a similar problem with my computer I ran memtest a got loads of errors after about 5mins. Luckily it was only one bad stick rather than both of them.

RTK07

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2006
We have a vote for C and D

C)Scream some really bad profanities
D)Have patience with it and pray that the Lord will forgive me for my profanity (see C).

Jammy,

I've bookmarked the .iso for memtest86 never heard of it. I hope it is not to complicated. I'll run this when I get my pc back. Maybe I'll accidently drop it carrying in the door...then I'll have to try to explain to my wife that I need a new computer.....

Rich

bache_au

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Hooked up a monitor and blew the OS system out. Why?

Last night, hooked up a brand new monitor and turned the pc back on - only to find that the system 32 file was corrupt (?) and needed to repair the file (?). Basically, I am in the process of complete OS install. This sucks.

This system was rebuilt two months ago:

x2 4800
Asus 8n vm mobo
2 hard drives
9800 gt
audigy 2 zs
floppy drive
Wave Master case
Samsung 22 monitor

Rich
After reading this post, (this isn't your prob) I thought I'd mention a no no with electro magnetic interference that occured to me once.

:x Do not place mobile phone on PC case!

:x Do hot have CRT monitor right next to tower case!

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
I think he means the EM interference will harm the PC.

To be honest I don't think that's too likely, unless the Mobile is actually inside the PC. After all, what about:

WLAN controllers.

GPRS/HSCSD Datacards in laptops.

If phones were harmful to PCs, then so is WLAN, and GPRS cards DEFINITELY are as they *are* phones.

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Thats exactly what I was thinking, the reason monitors can effect hard drives is because they contain magnets which can erase the data on hard drives if they are too close, the same thing goes for unsheilded speakers. I have never heard of EM raditation causing damage to computers, as you say if it did then wireless networks wouldnt be possible.

Of course I could be wrong.

Bache

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Thats exactly what I was thinking, the reason monitors can effect hard drives is because they contain magnets which can erase the data on hard drives if they are too close, the same thing goes for unsheilded speakers. I have never heard of EM raditation causing damage to computers, as you say if it did then wireless networks wouldnt be possible.

1) Yes monitors placed write next to PC Tower can cause probs with some hard drives - some are well shielded others are not.

2) Could have been a coincidence but my HD was corrupted immediately after mobile placed on desktop case, when incomming call rang ph.
Some mobiles can produce high EM rad, where others don't and wireless network components, etc, are not the same as mobiles.

Also depends on HD position in case.

You could always test my theory. Open case and place mobile next to your HD, then ring mb :lol:

I know it's not exactly the same situation as there is the metal case as a partial insulator when mb is outside of case but test it anyway. :D

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005

1) Yes monitors placed write next to PC Tower can cause probs with some hard drives - some are well shielded others are not.

2) Could have been a coincidence but my HD was corrupted immediately after mobile placed on desktop case, when incomming call rang ph.
Some mobiles can produce high EM rad, where others don't and wireless network components, etc, are not the same as mobiles.

Also depends on HD position in case.

You could always test my theory. Open case and place mobile next to your HD, then ring mb :lol:

I know it's not exactly the same situation as there is the metal case as a partial insulator when mb is outside of case but test it anyway. :D

You are correct that GSM mobile phones have an output power of 0.2-2W, fare more than WLAN cards. However GPRS datacards for laptops are a GSM mobile phone in a different form factor and operate in exactly the same way with exactly the same power output!