brand new router f**ked up to the max

jmb2006

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2006
ok i just got a new router. Linksys Wireless-G 2.4GHz Broadband Router with Speed Booster. Model: WRT54GS

So i've set it up connect to internet through a cable fine, unplug and try wireless on windows xp. I search for networks and i find my newly setup router so i try connecting and it comes up with this.

Windows is unable to connect to the selected network. The network may no longer be in range. Please refresh the list of available networks, and try to connect again.

so i refresh and try to connect again, it says that again.

So i goto my control panel and log it and it f**ked up completely.

http://img90.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wtf8gk.jpg

WTF IS GOING ON HERE, i just paid £100 for this crap and it doesn't even work. Got it from PC World. Anyway as i said that im connecting through a cable it seems to be struggling with that, the piece of shit. sorry for swearing but this is really p1ssing me off.

Edit: just phoned linksys up and told them the problem and all they had to say was "I cannot understand what the problem is" F****** RETARDS

Scene

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Did you enable 'SSID Broadcast'?

Do you use any kind of encryption method? If so make sure you configure your wireless NIC to match the encryption setup on your router.

sc00bie

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
Hi, have you checked in the network connection properties, that Windows own wireless connection is turned off? I'm assuming that you are using the software supplied for the card.

This does not get turned off by some of the software utilities for the wireless card.

If the router isn't responding, reset it by using the reset button, holding for approx 10 sec.

Set the router to defaults, no encryption, passwords and the default SSID, make sure Window wireless connection is disabled.
Uninstall the software for the card, reboot, reinstall the software, reboot, once it's booted to the desktop insert the card and let windows find the drivers.
You should be able to connect virtually straight off.

Once you have established connection then one at a time change the settings, starting with the password and username if it can be changed. Change the SSID to something other than the default, then set up the encryption.

HTH -sc00bie

othercents

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
This has happened to me multiple times when setting up wireless routers using encryption especially when your using an internal notebook wireless card. What I do is manually configure the network on the computer then reboot. The computer should find the wireless just fine after the reboot.

Other