Sign in with
Your question

I Need Help Showing Off!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 29, 2006 2:59:03 PM

Anyone know of some good programs that can make people go WOW ? I recently built a rig with an e6600 and gtx8800 both water cooled and overclocked. Now I need some justification for spending so much money. I would like some programs that can show the true power of my new rig. The people I will be showing it to don't know much about computers.

Thanks in advance.

More about : showing

November 29, 2006 3:15:03 PM

Wouldn't a game like Oblivion be a good one to use. That thing is pretty heavy with graphics and will give your new system a good workout.
November 29, 2006 3:23:35 PM

All that power and no idea what to do with it.

God Bless America !!
Related resources
November 29, 2006 3:26:46 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't a game like Oblivion be a good one to use. That thing is pretty heavy with graphics and will give your new system a good workout.

Agreed.

Try Oblivion at MAX settings with full AA and AF and at a high res. See their jaws droop!
November 29, 2006 3:35:57 PM

First show them Oblivion or some game at 600x800 at absolute lowest settings. Then crank it up and explain how hardly any PC can do what yours is doing.
November 29, 2006 3:50:52 PM

The best way to show off your computer is to show it running nothing but an old version of dos :wink: I am sure with your hardcore video card and cpu, you should be getting thousands if not hundreds of thousands of FPS 8O

All joking aside, Oblivion, Black and white 2, age of empires 3, fear, quake 4 and half-life 2 will all help you accomplish your goal. Have fun!

-Zorak
November 29, 2006 4:10:28 PM

Other than running Oblivion, you could download 3DMark06 and run it, then record the numbers it gives. Those numbers will give a good comparison to the numbers given on lessor computers.
November 29, 2006 4:11:50 PM

Quote:
Other than running Oblivion, you could download 3DMark06 and run it, then record the numbers it gives. Those numbers will give a good comparison to the numbers given on lessor computers.

I prefer 3dMark05, seems to be a much fairer benchmark. '06 is far too CPU centric for my liking, especially considering it's a graphics benchmark.
November 29, 2006 4:26:21 PM

Quote:

I prefer 3dMark05, seems to be a much fairer benchmark. '06 is far too CPU centric for my liking, especially considering it's a graphics benchmark.

Either one is fine, and I use both for comparisons. I mainly think such numbers give an objective benchmark that says "Here, this is what my computer did. How did your computer do".
November 29, 2006 4:27:32 PM

Quote:
"Here, this is what my computer did. How did your computer do".

You mean comparing e-penis'
November 29, 2006 4:34:23 PM

Flight Simulator 04 will run beautifully your rig with max'd settings, and makes for an amazing computer demo. On the other hand, Flight Simulator X will bring the most powerful rig down to it's knees, even more so than Oblivion.
November 29, 2006 4:38:06 PM

Quote:
Flight Simulator 04 will run beautifully your rig with max'd settings, and makes for an amazing computer demo. On the other hand, Flight Simulator X will bring the most powerful rig down to it's knees, even more so than Oblivion.

FSX is a more CPU dependant title than graphics.
November 29, 2006 4:38:49 PM

Oblivion,
FSX
Quake 4
November 29, 2006 6:01:44 PM

I used 3dmark 2001 back in the day to show off--I loved telling my dad it wouldn't even run on his PC--but 3dmark is becoming less impressive for that purpose as I don't even like to watch it. Sure it bogs down your system, but it doesn't look like it should.

Games are good if your going to let them play, which may be problematic if they don't know how, but I find nVidia tech demos to be my most effective tools to wow people. (edit: Glad to see I'm not the only one.) I just don't know why they don't have the 8800 demos available yet. They've got flash videos on their site, but those would be a lot better as full screen interactive demos. Still, the flash videos alone got one non-geek friend to say wow.

Anyway, if they don't know much about computers, Luna should be a good demo for them until something newer is released. But it won't justify your GPU or CPU.

Generally speaking, your hardware is ahead of software. You really won't have any software to justify your purchase unless you go with comparing numbers, as others have said. But don't expect others to care that much. You've got to build it to appreciate numbers. What they'll appreciate is what they see and hear. (BTW, you do have a good sound system, right? That will enhance the experience, whereas bad or no audio will diminish it greatly.)

That said, your trying to wow them, not justify. Justification is about you. Showing off is about them. What you want to do is show them a few games, show them a few tech demos, run a few benchmarks, do some multitasking, then tell them about the future. Your system is going to be top-of-the-line for a while. Let them know what's coming. Vista. DX10. Multi-threaded apps. HD multimedia. Then tell them your system is ready to chew the future up and spit it out.

You know and I know that your system will eventually be obsolete, but neither of us cares right now. You don't want them to think about obsolescence of anything except their own hardware. If you wow them, you've got instant support of your purchases. You won't have to justify, they will.

Granted, with this kind of flash you'll likely be called upon for a lot of help with decision making, purchases, and tech help, but just take the easy way out: Point them to good internet resources and say you're too busy. "Teach a man to fish..."

Sorry for being long winded. I hope this helps.
November 29, 2006 7:15:28 PM

Quote:
"Here, this is what my computer did. How did your computer do".

You mean comparing e-penis'

Yeah, I know, but this is basically what the OP was asking. I only use the marks to figure out if I did something useful when trying to overclock or change hardware, or to find out that what I did hurt the system.
November 29, 2006 7:33:12 PM

I dont think numbers impress people that dont know about computers, whats a fps anyways? but I've always found 3dmarks graphics to look impressive.
November 29, 2006 7:48:03 PM

I agree w/ Petebert.

Showing people a number on a screen isn't exactly going to elicit the WOW that you are looking for.

How about you install Sequal Server, and round up a few clients, and gather some data, and run some complex queiries in a short amount of time.

Then you can WOW your friends w/ the money you made from this computer.

Or run some 3D demos.
November 29, 2006 8:08:41 PM

I agree w/ Chuck, nvidia's demo will push your card and "eyecandy" factor to the limit. Esp. the Nalu demos.
November 29, 2006 8:13:50 PM

Run winamp and a really cpu/gpu demanding visual plugin. It will give you about 60fps which is fast. "Normal computers" only will give about 5-10 fps which looks horrible.
November 29, 2006 8:17:34 PM

Try MS Flight Sim 2004 or the New Flight SimX

On most computers it is nothing more than a glorified slide show.

Get a decent flight stick (wireless) and let them land a 747 at Meig's Field.

I hope you have a nice 30'' monitor to go with that. :D 

-E
November 29, 2006 8:19:57 PM

Quote:
On most computers it is nothing more than a glorified slide show.

lmao. i've got flight sim X and a 8800 GTX. I can finally get 30fps on high settings 1280x1024.
November 29, 2006 8:46:54 PM

I'm a simulator fan since the begining of the universe (both flight and driving). It's actually the only thing I do with a PC when it comes to graphics. I have 2.000 hours on the VATSIM network and been using FS2004, maxxed out and fully loaded with all these nice add-ons. Now, I tried FSX on the PC of my signature, and at everything maxxed out I get 14 fps... I want to shoot myself, I spent every penny on this pc and it still won't play FSX... Damn them, I am disappointed.
November 29, 2006 8:52:18 PM

my cousins been running flight simulator on a computer with a pentium 2 and a geforce 3. when I started laughing, he told me he just bought a new dell XPS with the core 2 duo in it. I wonder how it would do on my compy?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 29, 2006 9:10:03 PM

You should've read the reviews!

BTW hardOCP has a max playable setting test, check it out, mimic their settings...
December 2, 2006 10:16:51 PM

i had a athlon2100@2700/radeon 9600 pro, laptop pentium M 1.73ghz/go 6800 and just now got my E6400/7900GS and just now about 2 months after FSX comes out I can max out FS9, glad to hear that FSX wont run max on systems better then mine. One thing though, I'm really not seeing a huge difference between FS9 maxed and on my radeon 9600 as far as quality goes, but the performance is much better.
!