Will an external (firewire) Sound Card work for gaming?

rHy0

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Hi, back on the forumz after 1 year :) Anyway I just got this new external recording interface, the Presonus Firebox, which was originally intended for Home recording (doing an excellent on that) but I have just started using it as my primary sound device on my PC, instead of the onboard. Now for some reason the onboard sound just stopped working so I now have no choice but to use the Firebox. What I want to know is will this new external sound card work for games? And will it work just as well as a normal internal (good quality) PCI sound card? No games at the moment but I will be getting some demanding ones in the future so I need to know if Ill be okay with what ive got. By the way the Firebox is an excellent quality (not cheap) device for recording cause it has very good pre-amps so it would be great if it will work for gaming. Thanks in advance.

Truekeeper

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
Sorry pal, i think it will work a little, but not the way its meant to be played.

Better purchase a internal conventional one.

rHy0

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Alright thanks. Not too happy about it but at least I know. Did you think you can explain why my onboard sound stopped working? I mean Im pretty sure it may have been caused by the new Firebox but I need to know if it can be fixed cause I dont really want to have to go and buy a soundcard...

halcyon

Splendid
Hi, back on the forumz after 1 year :) Anyway I just got this new external recording interface, the Presonus Firebox, which was originally intended for Home recording (doing an excellent on that) but I have just started using it as my primary sound device on my PC, instead of the onboard. Now for some reason the onboard sound just stopped working so I now have no choice but to use the Firebox. What I want to know is will this new external sound card work for games? And will it work just as well as a normal internal (good quality) PCI sound card? No games at the moment but I will be getting some demanding ones in the future so I need to know if Ill be okay with what ive got. By the way the Firebox is an excellent quality (not cheap) device for recording cause it has very good pre-amps so it would be great if it will work for gaming. Thanks in advance.

I believe the external Firebox will work for gaming as long as you understand that you only get EAX accelerated audio (and the few extra framerates you may gain from its CPU off-loading of audio processing) from Creative soundcards.... Of course Vista negates hardware accelerated EAX and leaves only Open AL.

So yes, I think your Firebox will work as long as the games recognize it.