Sign in with
Your question

Need Advice On Sell Price For Old Computer.

Last response: in Systems
November 29, 2006 3:14:45 PM

Hey guys, I just built a new computer and I am going to try to sell my old one on Craigslist and I just wanted to get an idea of what a fair asking price would be and what I should expect to get. Here are the specs:

ASUS P4C800E Deluxe Motherboard
Socket 478 P4 3GHz w/ Hyperthreading & 800MHz FSB
2GB (4x512MB) Kingston HyperX DDR-400 Low Latency RAM
ATI X850XT Platinum Edition AGP Video Card
Soundblaster Audigy Soundcard
200GB SATA150 HD, 14GB IDE100 HD
Sony 16xDVD 4xDVD DL Burner, Old CD burner
Alienware Full Tower Case w/ 4 fans

Thanks for the help!
November 29, 2006 10:33:39 PM

sell it to me for free.

or, if you're a total stinge, i would recommend selling the pieces separately.... that way you can keep things you may need (like hdd or soundcard or something). i think that people have had more success when selling in pieces b/c people can be picky with their comps. if they know anything whatsoever.
November 29, 2006 10:39:45 PM

There is nothing from my old computer that I decided to use in my new one. I dont want to sell components seperately cuz then I would have to do it on ebay and loose money to shipping and fees.
Related resources
November 29, 2006 10:43:18 PM

I would proably say $200-$250. It has an alienware case so you could bank off of that. :twisted:
November 29, 2006 10:44:14 PM

Quote:
sell it to me for free.

Adonlude please dont give it to ardvark, give it to me insted ! Joking...........

I would suggest selling it as a whole system but before you put send the computer off to the buyer format the hard drive and install (a legal copy of) windows XP SP2

That way the buyer won't get any of the sh!t that was on your HDD.

I could not give you a sell price but you should look at what other systems like yours are selling on ebay for and try and pick a price a little lower then the rest so it gets more interest !

Anyway good luck
November 29, 2006 10:48:08 PM

Quote:
There is nothing from my old computer that I decided to use in my new one. I dont want to sell components seperately cuz then I would have to do it on ebay and loose money to shipping and fees.

oh... okay then.... i'll take that as a, "NO COMPUTER FOR YOU!"

:cry: 

s'okay. anyway, seriously, i bet you can get some good capital out of this rig, with the case being what it is, and the graphics card... i'm not quite sure how craig's list works, but if there's bidding, i think that Qeldroma was about at the sweetspot.

and the format+windows is a good idea... also a selling point? heh
November 29, 2006 10:49:31 PM

Quote:
I would proably say $200-$250. It has an alienware case so you could bank off of that. :twisted:

Hmm. I was hoping for more in the range of $500 - $600. The Graphics Card alone is going for well over $100 on Ebay.

Oh, and If I format it and load windows on it will there be any registration problems with it since I will be using the same windows registration key on my current computer?
November 30, 2006 6:30:36 AM

No, there will not be problems.

Belive me !
November 30, 2006 6:52:29 AM

Quote:

Hmm. I was hoping for more in the range of $500 - $600. The Graphics Card alone is going for well over $100 on Ebay.
In my experience, Craigslist works much better for lower-dollar stuff (max $100), with a lot of low-ballers. As suggested above, part out your system, selling the high-value items, including the CPU, RAM, graphics card on ebay (shipping via USPS Priority Mail will be no more than $4 each).
The Alienware case will cost a lot to ship, so it's a good candidate for Craigslist. Maybe throw in the Sony optical drive for free. MB+sound card are worth maybe $20; same for 200GB SATA; other drives aren't worth anything.

Quote:
Oh, and If I format it and load windows on it will there be any registration problems with it since I will be using the same windows registration key on my current computer?

No, billg likes to give away free copies of Windows. :) 
November 30, 2006 7:15:50 AM

i say you either split it up and sell the profitable parts such as GPU and Case i dont see the others as items that would sell with the money that you make you should buy a cheap GPU and Case and turn the thing into a server.

alternatively sell the case and buy a smaller one and make it into a lan box
November 30, 2006 8:24:16 AM

If you can get $600 for that rig, let me know who buys it. I got a load of old crap that they can have :lol: 

One thing you could consider is buying an HTPC case (will need to take a standard ATX board- not micro ATX only), chuck in an TV card, copy of windows media and then sell it as an HTPC system. They are rarer so it may go for more :wink:

Then sell the alienware case seperately- speculate to accumulate!
November 30, 2006 8:52:47 AM

>Oh, and If I format it and load windows on it will there be any registration problems with it since I will be using the same windows registration key on my current computer?

Yes, there will be problems - this is illegal.
November 30, 2006 9:25:11 AM

this one can go for 300$ that should be possible,
really try to sell the parts seperatly, that way you could catch some more $$
i've sold a pentium 3 866 for 120€ incl 17" screen keyboard and mouse.
November 30, 2006 3:46:47 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys. Guess ill be selling the parts individually.

About the Windows XP installs, im not quite sure who is being serious and who isn't. Lets say I decide to keep the computer and move it to my parents house so I can game there when I visit. Can I install my XP copy on the computer at my house and my computer at my parents house, register both and not have any problems??? Surely Mr. Gates doesn't expect me to purchase 2 seperate copies of XP, 1 for each of my computers!
November 30, 2006 4:06:35 PM

That is precisiely what you are legally obliged to do. The copy is licensed for one machine not multiple installations; obviously, when enabling the copy they would not be aware if you were a dishonest person that was simply installing it on two machines. And if questioned, they would have very little way of knowing if you suggested that it has been removed from the initial machine. But that would be software theft, and that dishonest person would have to be able to sleep knowing they had stolen from the Microsoft Corporation.
November 30, 2006 4:32:55 PM

Quote:
>Oh, and If I format it and load windows on it will there be any registration problems with it since I will be using the same windows registration key on my current computer?

Yes, there will be problems - this is illegal.

Totally illegal. Microsoft will disable one of them.
November 30, 2006 4:34:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice guys. Guess ill be selling the parts individually.

About the Windows XP installs, im not quite sure who is being serious and who isn't. Lets say I decide to keep the computer and move it to my parents house so I can game there when I visit. Can I install my XP copy on the computer at my house and my computer at my parents house, register both and not have any problems??? Surely Mr. Gates doesn't expect me to purchase 2 seperate copies of XP, 1 for each of my computers!

Yes, he does. You need to buy two copies.
November 30, 2006 5:04:28 PM

Everyone is correct that stated reinstalling windows would be illegal. (Remeber, for all you know, you're selling the machine to a cop.) Not only that, but selling someone your computer with the old HDD can set you up for identity thieft. Reformatting it does not keep that data from being retrieved. Use a disk wipe program that is able to write over the disk several times with different data to completely obsure any data you may have left on it. Be warned though, it can take several days to complete a wipe of this type. (Last time I did it, it took 5 days solid on a 30 gb HDD and a 3GHz machine.)
These days, I just remove and destroy the HDD.

If you itemize your taxes, you can always consider donating it to a local school. (If you don't, you can still donate it, but you lose the benifits.) The kids there would love that case.
January 25, 2007 3:16:58 PM

Just an update for all you guys that said I wouldn't be able to sell it for $600. I was lazy and never listed my computer parts on e-bay but still had a craigslist add up from over a month ago. Yesterday some dude called and wanted it for my asking price of $650. He checked it out, paid me the $650 and was on his way.

Seems like a good price to me. I looked up the parts individually on e-bay and saw them going for a combined total of about that price anyway. I just got lucky by saving the hassle of having to sell/ship/list stuff individually.
January 25, 2007 3:23:12 PM

Quote:
Just an update for all you guys that said I wouldn't be able to sell it for $600. I was lazy and never listed my computer parts on e-bay but still had a craigslist add up from over a month ago. Yesterday some dude called and wanted it for my asking price of $650. He checked it out, paid me the $650 and was on his way.

Seems like a good price to me. I looked up the parts individually on e-bay and saw them going for a combined total of about that price anyway. I just got lucky by saving the hassle of having to sell/ship/list stuff individually.

Now take $100 of that and go buy a new copy of Windows XP so nothing bad happens... and pray that no personal info is ever discovered on your hard drive - it can be retrieved even if you just do a format.
January 25, 2007 7:32:37 PM

Quote:

Now take $100 of that and go buy a new copy of Windows XP so nothing bad happens... and pray that no personal info is ever discovered on your hard drive - it can be retrieved even if you just do a format.

My windows copy was not included in the sale. After he inspected the computer I damaged the install enough that It wouldn't boot. Sure, he could do a windows repair and try to look through my stuff but he was a young college student who seemed cool and I doubt he had any interest in looking through my data. Ideally I should have had him sit there while I zeroed out the HD but that would have taken forever and there really isn't anything on my computer that is terribly sensitive. The only stuff I really wanted to remain private on that machine was already locked up by PGP. I am not worried.
January 25, 2007 8:16:57 PM

I would say 350-400 USD. 2GB RAM and the other components (SATA HD, graphics, full tower), makes it a ok PC, even if the MB and CPU is not worth much.
January 25, 2007 8:21:22 PM

Quote:
I would say 350-400 USD. 2GB RAM and the other components (SATA HD, graphics, full tower), makes it a ok PC, even if the MB and CPU is not worth much.

i believe you missed the part where it already sold for 650. bu thats okay. good sale, man! nice!
January 25, 2007 9:37:49 PM

Quote:
i believe you missed the part where it already sold for 650. bu thats okay. good sale, man! nice!

Yep, missed it :oops:  . He was certainly lucky, because I wouldn't pay 650$ for it - no way. Maybe, it was the fancy case which sold it.
You get quite a lot for 650$ these days, and I'd rather have a small but modern computer, than a larger but not current PC which will be next to impossible to upgrade later on.
January 25, 2007 10:56:51 PM

Quote:

Yep, missed it :oops:  . He was certainly lucky, because I wouldn't pay 650$ for it - no way. Maybe, it was the fancy case which sold it.
You get quite a lot for 650$ these days, and I'd rather have a small but modern computer, than a larger but not current PC which will be next to impossible to upgrade later on.

oh yeah its okay don't worry about it. yeah, $650s a lot, but look at it from his point of view: schwing!
January 28, 2007 3:10:24 PM

Quote:
To get Windows update, you have to pass authentication. If you have 2 comps with the same number, The Big Vole will advise you that the serial number has already been registered and it will give you that cute little sys tray icon reminding you that you've got an illegal copy. Re: the price; I'm with the $200 to $250 group. You have to look at what you are competing against, system-wise. Pick up any ad and look at what you can get for $400 -- that's your competition.
January 28, 2007 3:19:07 PM

I'd say you can sell the case for quite a bit, people love those alienware cases. I assume about 100 for the case, but then again I'm sort of a retard.
January 28, 2007 3:42:49 PM

again, the computer has already been sold.
January 28, 2007 3:57:34 PM

Quote:

When it comes to used no one wants to pay what you're thinking of asking $500 to $600 when they can walk into a Best Buy, Circuit City, Etc., and grab a complete machine, faster than your seller, for a couple hundred more.

You can always donate it to a charity and claim the price you're thinking and take it off on your taxes, if you are old enough to be paying taxes.
January 28, 2007 3:59:24 PM

Let me do this for you....

THE CASE HAS ALREADY BEEN SOLD FOR $650!!!
NOTHING MORE TO SEE HERE, FOLKS! KEEP MOVING!
:-) Good sale!
January 28, 2007 4:00:57 PM

Quote:

Missed that I guess theres a sucker born every day after all.
January 28, 2007 4:01:56 PM

THANKS
January 28, 2007 5:00:09 PM

Quote:

has anyone got a newegg estimate off hand of what those components would cost right now? seems like you could buy the parts right now, put em together and if you sold it for 650, youd be makin a profit.
January 28, 2007 5:04:30 PM

P4's are overpriced now... a cheap P4D will be better if you want profit :wink: .
January 28, 2007 5:36:54 PM

Quote:

Jesus! I'd probably have a hard time selling my system for that much and I've got an X2 4800+, 2GB of RAM, dual evga 7800GT COs, and a Creative X-Fi. :( 
January 28, 2007 7:04:58 PM

Quote:
Jesus! I'd probably have a hard time selling my system for that much and I've got an X2 4800+, 2GB of RAM, dual evga 7800GT COs, and a Creative X-Fi. :( 

yeah man he got a crazy deal on that sucker, huh? i'm amazed. and really jealous too.
January 28, 2007 7:51:00 PM

Great deal.

Six months ago I sold a similar system, 478 2.8Ghz P4, 1Gb Ram, etc.

I took out my HDD and X850XT, and put it into a crappy case for $250, and sold my X850XT for $140. You got a very sweet deal.
!