Sign in with
Your question

HDCP support

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 29, 2006 6:27:43 PM

I read in this article that you need a HDCP supported GPU to play the HD-DVD drive through your PC.

I would like to know if the X1900XTX or the X1900 CF edition is compatible.

I also read in this forum that you can play with any 1xxx card because of the AVIVO tech in ATI using Nero ShowTime (in the Nero 7 Suite).

Because if I can play HD-DVDs on my system I am buying that Xbox360 drive instantly!

More about : hdcp support

a c 358 U Graphics card
November 29, 2006 7:58:34 PM

Quote:

No. HDCP video cards have only been recently announced, and to the best of my knowlesge none have hit retail yet.
November 29, 2006 8:00:11 PM

Quote:
I read in this article that you need a HDCP supported GPU to play the HD-DVD drive through your PC.

I also read in this forum that you can play with any 1xxx card because of the AVIVO tech in ATI using Nero ShowTime (in the Nero 7 Suite).

Because if I can play HD-DVDs on my system I am buying that Xbox360 drive instantly!

Uhhhh... you can't hook up a Xbox360 HD-DVD drive to your computer. You might be able to hook it up to a LCD or CRT if you have the appropriate connections/dongles.

Regardless, for PC playback of bluray or HD-DVD, your LCD also has to be HDCP complaint. So... simply getting a hdcp compliant video card won't help unless you have or plan to get a hdcp compliant LCD.
Related resources
November 29, 2006 8:35:56 PM

Hey I have that card too but I dont know yet how it performs since I havent finish building my pc. How is it going in your syste? how is the perfomance? how good is it?
November 29, 2006 9:58:41 PM

Quote:
Uhhhh... you can't hook up a Xbox360 HD-DVD drive to your computer. You might be able to hook it up to a LCD or CRT if you have the appropriate connections/dongles.

Regardless, for PC playback of bluray or HD-DVD, your LCD also has to be HDCP complaint. So... simply getting a hdcp compliant video card won't help unless you have or plan to get a hdcp compliant LCD.

I have an HDCP compliant LCD (which is why I bought this one)

...And did you not read any of the articles?

You CAN connect to PC because its USB (what do you think the Xbox 360 uses?!)

In the second link (forum members post near bottom) it mentions playing HD-DVDs and Blu-Ray at the same time of mentioning ATI's AVIVO cards alot... could this just be reference to HD in general and not the discs?

oh and BTW
Why buy a DX10 card when nothing takes adv of it until vista comes out and very shortly after (if you are a Nvidia fanboy) Geforce are releasing new cards shortly after which no doubt will be evven more powerful. You have basically bought an X1800 - pointless. Just My opinion. :p  Also cant wait for ATI's pwnage like they always do
November 30, 2006 2:26:55 AM

Quote:
You CAN connect to PC because its USB (what do you think the Xbox 360 uses?!)

you're right, i didn't read the article. and i'm glad u told me to 'cause now I want one. i can't believe M$ didn't put some sort of protection in the drive to make it only compatible w/ the xbox. M$ is now essentially selling a $200 HD-DVD player. LOL.

As for me buying a 8800 GTX, it has nothing to do w/ me being a fan boy. It has to do w/ Flight Sim X. Find me a card that does 30fps in Flight Sim X at 1280x1024. You won't. The GTS and GTX are the only cards capable of doing this. The x1950xtx and GX2 come close, but you have to kill FSAA.

Anyways, i'm not an nVidia fan boy. I've owned (and still do) many ATI cards. My laptop has a mobility x1800 for example. But ATI's R600 is still scheduled for late Jan or early Feb... and who knows if it'll be any good. ATI has pretty much pushed the limit of their 90nm process in terms of clock speed.

And as for Vista... I already have it. I can't wait for the DX10 update for Flight Sim X!!!!!
November 30, 2006 6:36:18 PM

Flight Sim X fanboy 8O

:lol:  :lol: 
November 30, 2006 9:14:07 PM

Hey man, no game can replicate the feeling of landing on top of Mt. Rainier. :-)
November 30, 2006 9:14:59 PM

I FEEL YOU DOG

8)
!