First Build - Unwanted Restarts, Help Please

justin131

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Ok, so I got advice here a while ago and put together a rather nice build. Here it is:

- DFI LanParty UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G
- AMD Athlon 64 3800+ X2 AM2
- Corsair XMS2 1GB 2X512MB PC6400 DDR2-800 CL 4-4-4-12 240PIN Dual Channel Memory
- EVGA e-GeForce 7600GT
- OCZ GameXStream 600W ATX12V 24PIN
- Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200.10 8MB 8.5MS SATA2
- LG GSA-H22N (Superdrive)
- 5 Case Fans (3 LED) and 2 Cold Cathode UV Lights

Everthing went smoothly until after I installed all the necessary drivers. I was installing Nero when the first restart happened, then they came everytime I was installing something (or thats what it seemed like).

I am going to talk to the person who helped me build it (expert) about it but I want your guys' opinions (proved helpful in the past).

Any help would be great. Thanks.

P.S. Temp measuring software says my CPU is idling at 30 C (86 F), my SYS (whatever than is??) is idling at 42 C (108 F), and my HDD is idling at 31 C (88 F).

sprite

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
sys = system (case temp)

make sure nothing is shorting the system such as a bit of the motherboard touching the sides of the case etc.

justin131

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Checked over everything inside and its all good. Debug led on mobo says FF which I assume is fully functional but Im going to look it up. I just had another random restart and I wasnt even doing anything major (on web and updating Half Life 2: Ep 1).

Temps have been stable since I built it and everything is running perfect except for the restarts.

It stayed on all night last night downloading some torrents (I built it yesterday). So this kinda rules out overheating.

Its definately not a short (unless its a manufacturing default but I doubt that) cuz I did a great job with installation and cable organization (double checked both).

I think it is a bios or software bug. Im more of a hardware guy and I am really clueless in this situation. I cant see why its restarting...

Help please...

EDIT: Im going to work now so Im gonna leave it on to finish updating HL2EP1 and downloading some torrents. Maybe it will still be on when I get home...

justin131

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
K I will look around. I just tested out HL2EP1 at almost max setting and it ran great. I dont know whether that tells anyhting about the problem but they are getting less frequent so we'll see.

Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS