Sign in with
Your question

Who makes the actual memory chips used for desktop memory?

Last response: in Memory
November 29, 2006 7:10:58 PM

what manufacturers make the best memory chips for DDR2? What specific chips do I want? Are Samsung and Micron still the best IC's for memory as was the case years ago? If so, who is using them? And how do I find out?

here is a cut and paste from an "apparently" informed reviewer from newegg. What do you think?

C/P from newegg:
"Recently it has come into light that Corsair has been practicing some very shady business. It seems that after Corsair shipped out the initial shipment of this RAM to reviewers and the first lucky people to buy it they changed the IC they manufactured it with. It started out with high quality MICRON IC and ends up with lousy PROMOS IC being shipped to the masses. If you ask me, what is being done here is misleading and keeping the price the same is unjustified. MICRON is far superior to PROMOS and myself and a lot of other enthusiasts feel cheated by Corsair for buying this RAM and not getting what we paid for based on initial reviews."

Hes talking about this RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

Yea it sounds like corsair pulled a bait and switch!!

So the last time I bought RAM it was some DDR400 from OCZ. I bought thier platinum elite edition DDR400/DDR600 duel rated ram for the reason that they guaronteed it to have TCCD chips from Samsung. And lifetime warranty. In the DDR400 arena the only chips that were reported to be better overclockers were the Winbond chips. But ram with those chips had'nt been manufactured for some time when I purchesed. As far as I knew anyways.

Now here I am today slogging through the masses of DDR667 and DDR800 trying to put a list togather for a new build. I personally have been trying to find cheap DDR2 800 memory. Memory that has standard timings AND runs at 1.8V. My thinking is that if I buy memory that runs at 1.8V 5-5-5-15 it may very well run 4-4-4-12 at 2.0-2.1V. And I save alot of money. Plus memory that runs 1.8V generally will boot right off in most all motherboards.

So back int he day it was Windbond, TCC5, TCCD chips. What are the most desirable chips for DDR2? And how can I find out what Ram modules are using them. Also what are some good second and third choices for chip because I may not be able to afford the TOP performers.

More about : makes actual memory chips desktop memory

November 29, 2006 8:05:22 PM

Quote:
what manufacturers make the best memory chips for DDR2? What specific chips do I want? Are Samsung and Micron still the best IC's for memory as was the case years ago? If so, who is using them? And how do I find out?

here is a cut and paste from an "apparently" informed reviewer from newegg. What do you think?

C/P from newegg:
"Recently it has come into light that Corsair has been practicing some very shady business. It seems that after Corsair shipped out the initial shipment of this RAM to reviewers and the first lucky people to buy it they changed the IC they manufactured it with. It started out with high quality MICRON IC and ends up with lousy PROMOS IC being shipped to the masses. If you ask me, what is being done here is misleading and keeping the price the same is unjustified. MICRON is far superior to PROMOS and myself and a lot of other enthusiasts feel cheated by Corsair for buying this RAM and not getting what we paid for based on initial reviews."

Hes talking about this RAM:

Yea it sounds like corsair pulled a bait and switch!!

So the last time I bought RAM it was some DDR400 from OCZ. I bought thier platinum elite edition DDR400/DDR600 duel rated ram for the reason that they guaronteed it to have TCCD chips from Samsung. And lifetime warranty. In the DDR400 arena the only chips that were reported to be better overclockers were the Winbond chips. But ram with those chips had'nt been manufactured for some time when I purchesed. As far as I knew anyways.

Now here I am today slogging through the masses of DDR667 and DDR800 trying to put a list togather for a new build. I personally have been trying to find cheap DDR2 800 memory. Memory that has standard timings AND runs at 1.8V. My thinking is that if I buy memory that runs at 1.8V 5-5-5-15 it may very well run 4-4-4-12 at 2.0-2.1V. And I save alot of money. Plus memory that runs 1.8V generally will boot right off in most all motherboards.

So back int he day it was Windbond, TCC5, TCCD chips. What are the most desirable chips for DDR2? And how can I find out what Ram modules are using them. Also what are some good second and third choices for chip because I may not be able to afford the TOP performers.

Micron D9 2gb sets are THE memory IC's to have. Hands down, nothing competes. Almost all the enthusiast memory sticks use this stuff, plus it scales well to voltage increases. Here's some examples of chips that use D9 chips. These are also my recommendations, as these are about the cheapest Micron D9's you can find around. Good luck!
^ I'd particularly go with the G.Skill kit as Newegg is having $35 off.

P.S., I'm using Mushkin Redline PC4000 CH5 sticks right now ;]
Anonymous
a b } Memory
November 29, 2006 8:11:10 PM

Dario will answer the specifics of these question, the best chip right now are D9 chips by Micron, he will give you the details between the different ones!

About that corsair, a Rep was talking about it on XtremeSystems.org forums, he wasn't talking about this exact ram but he said that they didn't always control the quantity of chips/IC and so on they could get. If they had to change any of those to ensure continuous manufacturing of the sticks, they make a new revision.

Any revision is suppose to perform the same, at least at the rated timing/speed on the sticker but I guess that can change. I don't think it's shady business if you change the revision and people who actually care about the what IC is being used can find the revision of the stick before buying it.

I must say that stories like the WRT54G router from linksys that went thru many many revision that offer BROAD difference in performance and capabilities is a bit shady, I personally blame the marketing dep...again!
Related resources
Anonymous
a b } Memory
November 29, 2006 8:13:26 PM

Been reading a bit about those G.Skill, they don't seem to OC a lot, from what I gather, might be wrong.

Still I think 400mhz will be plenty for me, but what if I still have thermal budget on my CPu when I reach it, what then!!! :lol: 

Anyway, bets deal right now Is the G.skill.
November 29, 2006 8:27:20 PM

Yes, given the speed with which designs/components change in the computer world, it's naive to expect something to contain *exactly* the same components over time. In the DIMM business, even different vendors selling what looks like the same item can have different batches. As for reviews, you have to take them with a grain of salt unless the reviewer purchased the modules him/herself, Consumer Reports-style (which almost never happens), and they were purchased within the last week at the same store you shop at.
November 29, 2006 9:36:13 PM

Quote:
Been reading a bit about those G.Skill, they don't seem to OC a lot, from what I gather, might be wrong.

Still I think 400mhz will be plenty for me, but what if I still have thermal budget on my CPu when I reach it, what then!!! :lol: 

http://anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2878&p=6
November 29, 2006 9:36:34 PM

Quote:

All D9 chips hit at least 1ghz DDR2.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
November 29, 2006 10:11:28 PM

Are those D9 chips? I would've guessed.
but looking at the part number, the one Anand tested are:
F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ based on D9GMH
the F2-8000PHU2-2GBZX I would guess are based on D9GKX

Sooo what's up with the sticks on newegg: F2-6400CL4D-2GBPK, are they still D9? ~60$ cheaper(now 100$) then the stuff on D9GMH.
November 30, 2006 12:23:02 AM

Quote:
Are those D9 chips? I would've guessed.
but looking at the part number, the one Anand tested are:
F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ based on D9GMH
the F2-8000PHU2-2GBZX I would guess are based on D9GKX

Sooo what's up with the sticks on newegg: F2-6400CL4D-2GBPK, are they still D9? ~60$ cheaper(now 100$) then the stuff on D9GMH.

oh, well all I found Anand tech saying was "4-4-4-12 DDR2 800 G.Skill"
but yeah, you get the point. Even if those aren't D9's, I'm relatively certain those ADATA's are.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
November 30, 2006 12:35:07 AM

Ok cool, those Adat do look good, funny how conservative the label is then!

About the G.Skill I still don't know what's going on. :?
November 30, 2006 12:37:13 AM

I actually was going to buy the Muskin redline at first but when I did some inquiries to Muskin I got NO RESPONCES AT ALL!! So I left them a lame duck post and let them know that there unwillingness to respond to simple questions drove me right to OCZ.

Anyways... I also have been eyeing those GSkill DDR800 modules. But they are already overvolted +.3v from JDEC specifications. Im wondering how much more can they really be pushed. Not that it matters because I will probably only be able afford the E6300 or if lucky I might be able to squeeze out the E6400. So Im really only needing 667. But I will definately be overclocking so I would rather underclock 800 rather than overclock 667. Probably get a DS3 mobo. I cant afford a P5W DH delux or the 680i.

Anyways again...how about something like this:

Granted they are more money but are rated at lower voltage and BETTER timings then pretty much and of the high dollar modules.

I also have been thinking of buying some of the ultra cheapo modules without and heatspreader and just buy a pair of pure copper heatspreaders and use AS5 or ceramiq. What do you think of that idea.
November 30, 2006 1:25:59 AM

Quote:
I actually was going to buy the Muskin redline at first but when I did some inquiries to Muskin I got NO RESPONCES AT ALL!! So I left them a lame duck post and let them know that there unwillingness to respond to simple questions drove me right to OCZ.

Anyways... I also have been eyeing those GSkill DDR800 modules. But they are already overvolted +.3v from JDEC specifications. Im wondering how much more can they really be pushed. Not that it matters because I will probably only be able afford the E6300 or if lucky I might be able to squeeze out the E6400. So Im really only needing 667. But I will definately be overclocking so I would rather underclock 800 rather than overclock 667. Probably get a DS3 mobo. I cant afford a P5W DH delux or the 680i.

Anyways again...how about something like this:

Granted they are more money but are rated at lower voltage and BETTER timings then pretty much and of the high dollar modules.

I also have been thinking of buying some of the ultra cheapo modules without and heatspreader and just buy a pair of pure copper heatspreaders and use AS5 or ceramiq. What do you think of that idea.

RD600 will actually have an ASYNC memory to FSB ratio, so you can buy a cheap ass piece of crap 2gb set, run FSB to 500 and memory to 266. Oh, by the way, I know EXACTLY how you feel. I'm running a 3200 venice 1gb 6800gt system right now [I'm too embarassed to put it in my profile] and am looking to buy a Biostar TForce 965P, E6400 and...whatever cheap last-generation video card I can get on ebay. I own Mushkin Redline PC4000 sticks and they work fine (except for the fact that the heatspreade[/b][/i]rs literally fell off) and that Mushkin screwed me out of a 30 or so dollar rebate.
November 30, 2006 2:06:07 AM

I got my OCZ off the egg and since they had a broken rebate form link, the rep I called just gave me the rebate back to my card right on the spot. I love the Egg.

Anyways what do you think about that AMPX memory? 4-4-4-10 @ 1.9v vs GSkill 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1v which one would you get.

I am currently researching D9 chips and trying to find some sleeper modules that contain D9 chips and are fairly cheap. I may in fact simply buy some 667 and OC it if I can varify D9 chips but then again when I look at the prices the 667 seems to be the same price as the 800 wth??
November 30, 2006 2:31:24 AM

Quote:
I got my OCZ off the egg and since they had a broken rebate form link, the rep I called just gave me the rebate back to my card right on the spot. I love the Egg.

Anyways what do you think about that AMPX memory? 4-4-4-10 @ 1.9v vs GSkill 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1v which one would you get.

I am currently researching D9 chips and trying to find some sleeper modules that contain D9 chips and are fairly cheap. I may in fact simply buy some 667 and OC it if I can varify D9 chips but then again when I look at the prices the 667 seems to be the same price as the 800 wth??

The fact that AMPX runs at much lower voltages means it might not be D9, which is characteristic of the new Micron chips. Memory pricing has been all over the place lately, so I'd go with what the best deal is (right now, it seems to be that G.Skill, which is actually rated for DDR2-800).
But like I said, there is the new ATI chipset coming out soon enough that allows you to run ultra high FSB's and ultra low memory settings, saving you potentially lotsa cash (if the market prices change again and cheap memory becomes cheap again).
November 30, 2006 2:46:11 AM

With the price of C2D soo low everyone is upgrading and driving the price of memory up. Look at the price of 2 gigs of 533, 677, and the cheaper 800. The price for any of them are about $200 why in the hell would 533 cost the same as 800?? Its crazy. I was looking at some older 533 that was known to use D9 chips and I can get 800 for the same price.
November 30, 2006 2:50:13 AM

Quote:
With the price of C2D soo low everyone is upgrading and driving the price of memory up. Look at the price of 2 gigs of 533, 677, and the cheaper 800. The price for any of them are about $200 why in the hell would 533 cost the same as 800?? Its crazy. I was looking at some older 533 that was known to use D9 chips and I can get 800 for the same price.

haha, i know. the ADATA 667 is actually more than the G.Skill 800, despite speed and brand...ridiculous
and the insane prices of DDR2-1100/1200 is just outrageous, nobody can justify that
November 30, 2006 11:05:23 PM

Quote:
Dario will answer the specifics of these question, the best chip right now are D9 chips by Micron, he will give you the details between the different ones!

I took a couple days off, and it seems like you guys have been discussing for a while. Could you tell me what hasnt been answered yet? thx
November 30, 2006 11:38:45 PM

I think most questions have been answered somewhere or in one way or another in this and other threads. what Im looking for are some sleeper modules. Meaning some cheap ram that have very overclockable IC's. The $204 DDR2 800 here do not use Micron I was told my G.Skill rep. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

But these WERE listed as haveing Micron:

Im wondering if the DDR2 667 with Micron has potential over the DDR2 800 without Micron?

I have actually started another thread and listed which G.Skill uses Micron. And, I am waiting for a reply from the A-DATA rep for the model #'s they have containing the D9 chips. As stated in my other thread Im thinking a comprehensive list of modules may be very helpful to alot of people.
November 30, 2006 11:58:37 PM

They both have similar potential, 410Mhz for sure I would say. The reason why the PK are listed as Micron is because some of them are the chips that werent good enough to be HZ (800CL4). But as you can get lucky, you can get crappy modules, kinda of a hit and miss.
December 3, 2006 3:54:07 AM

Quote:
I think most questions have been answered somewhere or in one way or another in this and other threads. what Im looking for are some sleeper modules. Meaning some cheap ram that have very overclockable IC's. The $204 DDR2 800 here do not use Micron I was told my G.Skill rep. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

But these WERE listed as haveing Micron:

Im wondering if the DDR2 667 with Micron has potential over the DDR2 800 without Micron?

I have actually started another thread and listed which G.Skill uses Micron. And, I am waiting for a reply from the A-DATA rep for the model #'s they have containing the D9 chips. As stated in my other thread Im thinking a comprehensive list of modules may be very helpful to alot of people.

yeah looks like the 667 will be best, although i find it really hard to believe those 4-4-4-12 modules aren't D9.
December 3, 2006 4:01:04 AM

Im still looking at these here:

Stable and fast!!! The specification rated by manufacture is 1.9V for 800MHz, but I am running them with 1.8V 4-4-4-10 at 820MHz for 3 months without any issues. I ran 99 cycles of 3DMark 06, Memtest 86, and 24 hour SiSandra memory burn-in test without a hitch. I also ran the same tests at 920MHz CL5 @ 2.0V, and 1021MHz CL5 @2.2V without any issues. These memory rocks!!!

I dont see any other memory running good latency with low voltage requirements. And the onlys that are cost like $300-350
December 3, 2006 4:26:43 AM

Voltage doesn't really mean anything, as I'll probably just voltage mod to 3.0v anyway, lol. That being said, really not sure if my poor ass can afford $250 memory at this point =[
Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 3, 2006 4:38:59 AM

With all the reasearch you've been doing on some Micron D9GMH and GKX, you should know that with that stuff you're all set!
December 3, 2006 5:17:48 AM

Quote:
I'll probably just voltage mod to 3.0v anyway, lol.

Luckily DFI will do that for me 8)
!